As the title says, need some confirmation regarding this point one way or another for hosting any future giveaways to avoid mistakes.

9 months ago

Comment has been collapsed.

I think it depends on the game itself like with most official stores, on the page you'll usually get some info about any region restrictions that might aply and you can also check steam.db to see more detailed info. Keep in mind that the ones deciding about region restrictions are the publishers providing the keys and not the stores selling them.

9 months ago

The region restrictions on the game page in GMG only show that it activates in my region and the regions it can be activated in - but I'm not sure if that means the key I get can be activated in the other regions listed there.

No idea how to check region restrictions for gifting in steamdb.

9 months ago

The list of countries that GMG gives you ARE the countries where that specific key can be activated, if you're buying the game in order to give it away you should restrict the giveaway so only those in the indicated countries can participate in it, otherwise you might end up with a winner that can't activate the key and in those cases support won't allow for a re-roll.

What game are you planning to buy/give away anyway? Since the restrictions vary depending on the game it's gonna be easier to help you find the info if we know which title you're talking about.

9 months ago

Sniper Elite 3 or 4.

9 months ago

From what I could find those two games have quite a few different types of keys/packs that activate them, but in both cases it seems like the region restrictions are mostly about Europe.
In the case of Sniper Elite 3 you can see here that there's various flavors of keys, some are worldwide, some are RU+CIS, EU (Europe), DE (Germany), or SA (South America).
And for Sniper Elite 4 you can see here that there's only worldwide and RU+CIS keys.

You chose quite the complicated games to give away, but it's doable with some careful double checking :P
Probably not the best thing for a first time creating a giveaway tho.

9 months ago

yeah... looks like.

SE4 at least feels a bit simple and might work, if I just exclude the RU+CIS region in the giveaway. As I'm not from there, the key I get shouldn't fall in that region anyway.

Nonetheless, thanks for the help.

9 months ago

Sure. Just remember when creating the giveaway that the countries you mark are the ones allowed to enter in the giveaway, you need to leave the ones that you want excluded as unmarked, so if there's more countries to leave in that to leave out you might want to first click the button that says "Select All" and then deselect the ones that you want to exclude.
In the preview before confirming the giveaway you'll see a list of countries allowed to participate (that is in the case that you said yes to region restriction), so you'll be able to check the list for errors before the giveaway is actually live.

And welcome to SG! Have fun :)

9 months ago

Ah damn. Can't buy it. Fyck! Got the "Unfortunately, you are not allowed to purchase a specific game in your basket." error.

Ah well, will check something else. Thanks again.

9 months ago

hey mate, sorry but need a bit more help.

Ended up buying a Sniper Elite 3 key from there after checking all the various region keys from steamdb and making sure that my country (India) doesn't fall in any of the region specific areas.

So for the key does this mean it's global with no exceptions OR global but excluding all the other region specifics (RU+CIS, Europe, Germany, and South America)?

9 months ago

Hi, no problem.

It should be the global one since none of the regional ones would activate in your country, and they're not gonna sell you something you can't use yourself (I hope). So that one shouldn't need any region restriction when you create the giveaway for it.

I'm used to having to deal with this complicated nonsense since publishers love to restrict the keys they sell here to only work in South America, but their definition of which countries constitute South America is as inconsistent and odd as it can get.

9 months ago

Haha. That sound annoying.
Also, thx for the help.

9 months ago

Hey, this is probably going to sound weird, but can I send you a friend request for a test?

I want to do a dry run to check if I can get to the gifting window for games that have "Cross region trading and gifting is disabled for this item" when it's to an user in another region and due to regional pricing I can only do so to regions whose prices are lower than mine, leaving me very few options.

You can remove me afterwards if you want to.

8 months ago

Sure, feel free to add me.

8 months ago

Sent. My username is Nunya.

8 months ago

Accepted it, I'll be online at some point today if you need me, kinda just woke up now.

8 months ago

No need. Just wanted to see if gifting was allowed for cross region and looks like it's not. Throws a warning in the last part, that the gift is only redeemable in my country. Guess direct gifting is just not for me then.

Thanks for your help.

8 months ago

Ah, I haven't done direct gifting on Steam in years so no clue of how restrictive it is nowadays. The closest thing was an inventory gift I gave away a couple of months ago, but that was just because I happened to still have a few of those in my inventory.

Welp, glad I was able to help I guess :P

8 months ago

If there's a game that can't be purchased from your region, when you visit directly its store page on GMG, you should see an error and a new page telling you that "it must be nice where you live" or something along those lines. If you don't see that and you can buy the game, then all it's okay.

Also, if you try to search for such game in their store and it doesn't appear for you in the list, then it's region restricted.

9 months ago

it says on the game page on gmg, below the price, you can choose a country and see whether it can bi activated there

edit: just saw your reply, i think it only says "this game has no region restrictions" if it can be activated everywhere, but ypu have to manually select countries if you want to check for everywhere, in case it doesn't say ot can be activated everywhere

9 months ago

Yeah, I got that. But that usually only means, if I am from any of the listed regions I can buy a key from GMG that can be activated for myself.

What I'm unsure of is the part where after I buy the key - if will be region locked to my specific region, meaning I won't be able to gift it to someone in one of the other regions listed there.

9 months ago

i usually check three regions: israel, argentina, and a random one outside europe, because those are usually problematic when the key' from europe. If I can gift to them, i make the gift without regional restrictions. Although alI'll keep an eye on this thread for a better solution

9 months ago

Ok, that sounds doable if a bit taxing manually. How do you check if you can gift to those regions or not? Did not see any option in the page itself.

9 months ago

i think you can choose a country from a list, or am i mixing it up with fanatical and it says available or unavailable? And those countries i choose because those are the odd ones when you make a giveaway with a steam gift, not a key

9 months ago

yeah that's fanatical.

9 months ago

If you made a purchase from them and want to make sure you don't want to have problems with regions or are not sure, just create giveaways for those keys for your same region/country.

Here's an example of what I was commenting before. I can't buy from them "Marvel's Avengers - The Definitive Edition", and this is one of the type of errors I get when I visit its store's page. And if I search for it, it doesn't appear listed in the results:

View attached image.
View attached image.
9 months ago*

GMG publish the country list where key can be activated but anyway its hard pass through payment process for placing an order with VPN. GMG from cheaper country as Turkey (Horizon Zero Dawn now 3,5 €) havent paypal available in payment method step..

8 months ago

Closed 8 months ago by Almostn33t.