Hi there..
I am planning to buy a new GPU, so i am wondering.. what's the best deal as for now depending on real gaming not the tests some sites spread.
Is it better to buy 6Gb nVidia 1060 or AMD's RX470 judging by the prices?
Tell me please your experiences with 1080p gaming..
Any differences with 3Gb nVidia or 6Gb. I know it's better for a future planning to take 6gb model. But is it better than 8Gb AMD 470 (same prices if i vs RX470 8Gb against GTX1060 6Gb).
What's your opinion? Thanx in advance for your answers.

PS: Sorry no GA :( Little short on money now as i am saiving for a new card :(

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

For what I read, 1060 6gb its paired with the RX480 8gb.

They are basically the same card with a couple of differences. For instance, 1060 is able to run Directx 11 better and 480 can run better vulkan and directx 12, so the RX480 should be able to handle better the incoming titles.

On the other part, 1060 has better temperatures, although for what I read is nothing exagerate on the 480... But another important thing its the consumption, because 480 needs more watts.

RX470 seems to be slightly inferior to these two, so its a nice option for a budget. Nvidia did his job and make a 1060 3gb and I think only fanboys and haters buy this, because its not really a "1060", only by name. The components are far worst and apparently 3gb are low nowadays.

460 its for a low budget, it falls in comparison and apparently its not what you want or need.

Between 1060 3gb and RX470 4gb I will take the second one, but only because the reviews I read about the 1060 with 3gb say that card its a low budget shit with a pretty name. I heard more than once that his real name should be "1050".

Read reviews because maybe the 1060 3gb its a bad choice for the future.

7 years ago

Didn't even think of 3Gb.. thanx for a nice explanation!

7 years ago

If I am correct the best version of the RX480 is paired with the worst version of the GTX 1060. Or close to it.

7 years ago

give it 2 years and see for VR and Dx12... 480 should be better. 8GB is a nice memory count too.

7 years ago

Well in 2 years I would've probably upgrades already. I got a gtx 970, probably will get a 1080TI.

7 years ago

Because you did it doesn't mean everyone else does, does it? :)

7 years ago

No I'm just talking about myself, I wouldn't use those cards for VR ever though.

7 years ago

I thought he wrote Vulcan and Dx12. Sorry my fault, I misunderstood. Well, I wouldn't either.

7 years ago

The power consumption difference between the RX480 and the 1060 is pretty low.
Only about 20W.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/07/27/asus-geforce-gtx-1060-strix-oc-review/10

7 years ago

The 3 GB version of the 1060 is a sick joke that only exists to make sure the 6 GB version can be sold for a higher price.

As for the decision, apart from trivial things as fanboyism, you can boil it down to a simple thing. Do you plan to use the card for more than 2-3 years? If yes, then get the 8GB version of the AMD card as it is better in Vulkan/DX12, and games will gradually switch to those. If no, then the NVidia one (strictly 6 GB version), as it is stronger in current (DX11) games.

7 years ago*

Yes, for more than a 2-3years from now.. So, better option is RX480. What about RX470?

7 years ago

470 is slower/less memory than 480, go 480 8GB if can afford, 470 4GB is not as good for future (8GB ram is a nice part)

7 years ago

Thought so.. i think i will buy :
XFX AMD Radeon RX 480 RS 8GB with Hard Swap
best buy so far..

7 years ago

If it has a good price tag, then definitely.
You have to know one thing about AMD cards though, they need some room in the case to dissipate heat properly. Nothing serious, but they run somewhat hotter than NVidias.

7 years ago

The 470 is not cheaper enough to really consider, and it is weaker enough to not offer as much performance for its price point. If you really want a budget card, get the 460, if you can afford a normal mid-tier one, aim for the 480.

7 years ago

I agree on the first part, the 3gb is too weak to be considered a mid-tier card, and too expensive for a low-tier.

Anyway, I don't think that the 480 will be more "future proof".
Let's say that today a 1060 is 10% better, slowly, amd will get better, at a certain point a 480 will reach a 1060 performance* (or even better) but at that point both cards will be obsolete.

*assuming that nvidia won't improve its drivers for dx12/vulkan, or that developers won't optimize games for nvidia cards (which considering nvidia's market share is kinda foolish)

7 years ago

That can be true for later cards. Right now, the 1060 is pretty much a glorified 960: a DX11 card that shows the same weaknesses in DX12/Vulkan as the previous architecture NVidias. And if the question is to get something now that will still offer good performance later, then the AMD's DX12 lead is the safer bet.
Both are really low-level APIs, by the way, so I don't really know how much can you optimise them for specific hardwares. After all, it is the API's job to properly translate the request for the metal.

7 years ago

+1

After a previous post I started digging and this is pretty much the perfect summary. Although the GTX 1060 is still a solid investment the RX 480 does have more potential if you plan to use it +3 years, I'm fairly curious to see how many devs will use Vulkan since the async compute from AMD is killer with that API :]

7 years ago

As many as many is left after NVidia tries to "convince" them to use DirectX and GameWorks instead.
And by "convince" I mean "bribe", naturally.

7 years ago

Yeah... money talks :/

View attached image.
7 years ago

if going for the AMD version then go for an 8GB card - it will serve you better in the long run - 1060 3GB, as talgaby mentions, is a very poor attempt at humour by that company !

7 years ago

1060 if you plan t upgrade in the short run, 480 for the long run. Also get the cards with more ram, especially avoid the 1060 3 GB, since newer games are "optimized" for at least 4 GB.

7 years ago

Thanx..thought so..

7 years ago

The 1060 is a little stronger than the RX470, but the 470 is better at DX12 and vulkan and its also cheaper.
And AMD cards usually gain performance for a long time with new drivers, while nvidia cards dont.

7 years ago

So, solution with RX470 8gb seems better, right?

7 years ago

rx480 4gb is betther than rx470 8gb the price is similar...
don't buy the 1060 3gb

7 years ago

Thank you!

7 years ago

Yes, the RX470 8GB will be a great card.
About as powerful as my R9 290, which runs everything really well at 1440p.

7 years ago

Thank you for the experience shared!

7 years ago

as long as get the 8GB model 470 is fine for the price - just try to get an aftermarket cooler one and preferably not an XFX

7 years ago

I was thinking about XFX AMD Radeon RX 480 RS 8GB with Hard Swap
Why not?

7 years ago

7 years ago

Well.. i should stay away from XFX that's why they're cheaper than others..

7 years ago

I was so sad they said after 2 years a card is beyond warranty for Australia - I even told them about our laws which specifically state that you should get a 'reasonable lifetime' depending on price of a product, I really felt bad losing $300 USD ish worth of GPU after only 3 years (3 years and 1 month). EVGA are meant to have very good warranty but only seem to make Nvidia cards, I've had good luck with Gigabyte (still running my backup GTX460 since HD9750 died.

In my country the next cheapest 8GB 480 is Gigabyte: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36703/gigabyte-radeon-rx-480-g1-gaming-8gb (there is another but with stock cooler)

However I would suggest if you could use the savings, get a 470 with 8GB if you can find it (hard to get around here - mostly 470 4GB models) - the extra clock speed might come in handy in 3-4 years but it isn't a huge difference, and both cards should handle anything you want at 1080p / 60 hz (it is only for 144hz/1440p+/VR/games in a few years that will really benefit much from the extra clock, imo

7 years ago

7 years ago

nw, MSI is a good brand, Gigabyte might be a little cheaper if can find (but not sure if they do 470)
I just double checked and we DO have MSI 470 8GB here, it's probably the one I would get too since I can't find a 470 gigabyte 8GB locally - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36373/sapphire-radeon-rx-470-nitro-8gb is $20 cheaper but probably better to go MSI (I had a Sappire around 10 years ago and worked fine but I think probably MSI slightly better). Since I am so broke tho I might end up getting Sapphire myself. MSI coolers look way sexier though xD

7 years ago

Well, i don't mind so much of the look of it but more than a performance and a noise. I have now GTX660Ti and it's loud especially when playing something heavy..
And there aren't any Giga's here in stock so i will take MSi i guess..

7 years ago

Everyone makes polls for everything, you ask an actual question and don't make a poll? :D

Anyway, my 2 cents: boycott Nvidia until they stop being assholes. I just got an RX 480.

7 years ago

And how does it do with games @ 1080p?
No, i don't want a poll i just want to know experiences with the cards..

7 years ago

Both 1060 6gb and 480 8gb are the reference cards nowadays for 1080p/60 fps.

Read reviews about vulkan/dx12. If you want to play games like doom or battlefield or the incoming games, AMD should be better option. If you want to play the games that are already out, 1060 its the best choice.

Check your PSU and your wattage consumption and... and buy the cheaper one.

7 years ago

My PSU is OK with it.. i think RX480GTR 8Gb is the best choice if i want a longer run.. 2-3 years..

7 years ago

anyway check reddit.com/r/buildapc , one of the most friendly and helpful subreddits i've ever seen. No circlejerk, no memes pcmr, no shitpost. You can find there a lot of info, just search, your question has been answered a lot these months

7 years ago

Thanx for a tip.. :)

7 years ago

I only have it since last Saturday, so I don't have extensive experience yet, but 1080p is definitely its playground, if not its kingdom. Silky smooth performance with everything maxed out in Dirt Rally, Shadow Of Mordor and the Arkham games. 8000 score in the Passmark benchmark.

7 years ago

I wouldn't mind a 1060 if it wasn't more than an 8GB 480.. Nvidia make decent cards but more often ATI/AMD has the best bang for buck.
The best drivers.. that's a back and forth xD 295-325 ish nvidia drivers, had issues with driver dropout (black screen randomly all the time for 1-2 seconds 'driver has stopped responding' although that is totally cleared up now on Windows 10 and latest drivers, AMD/ATI used to have cruddy drivers but since the past year they have been getting a lot better and come out every month or so with betas for new games.

I think AMD/ATI actually have the better drivers this year..

But yeah Nvidia charge like wounded bulls, I'll be sticking to 470 8GB or 480 8GB for next purchase (can't find any 470 8GB with custom cooler yet locally - will keep eyes open)

7 years ago

So, basically what do you think then.. RX470 8Gb or RX 480 if i made my choice since i go for a longer run..?
Is it better if i count the money difference?

7 years ago

470 vs 480 is like 15% difference and so is the price. I believe since you aim for 1080p it does not really make a difference. Also for a longer run 15% does not really make a difference. I mean if in 3 years a game will be too slow with 20fps it will also be too slow with 23fps.

7 years ago

+1 not huge difference, if you want 15% extra frame rate pay for it but yeah at 1080p / 60hz not going to be an issue xD I'd go cheaper 470 if I could but can't find 8GB around here, 4GB is a bit low for future imo (fine for now but in 2-3 years and for VR, you want 8GB)

7 years ago

Depends on the price.
If the RX480 is less than 20% more expensive, it would probably be worth it.

7 years ago

It's less than 20%

7 years ago

Go for the 470, MSI or XFX GTR, is better for the long run compared to 1060 3gb

7 years ago

XFX 480GTR 8Gb seems to me like a best choice now..

7 years ago

Yes, it is ;)

7 years ago

http://www.pcgamer.com/latest-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-rumor-points-to-a-ces-2017-launch/

You might want to wait until the Ti releases, either to purchase it or get the older video cards cheaper. Black friday & boxing day will probably have some discounted GPUs too, but keep in mind the impending releases.

7 years ago

It's a cat and mouse game..if i wait until new cards arrive i could wait for a century, everyday a new card .. :)
The problem is i need to do this in a matter of 1 week, coz my old card will go to my friends non-working old computer :(

7 years ago

Hardware releases with development cycles, and retail has seasons, so it's not technically every day, like you say. When you said you were saving up, I didn't know for how long. You should definitely get what you can afford at the time, and not wait around forever. Still, the end of November holds the best electronic sales of the year generally.

I recommend saving up and buying ahead of the curve, as you get more life out of the top-of-the-line electronics compared to budget parts, and the experience is also better. You could keep buying new "value GPUs", and then you would spend more money in the long run, while getting less performance than you sometimes need. I would bet VR hardware and 144Hz monitors will become much more prevalent in the next year, so perhaps you are already planning on making new hardware purchases later. So maybe just get a $50-$60 GPU as a stop-gap, while you save up for a much better one which will give you a better lifetime value and experience than a 1060 or some cheap AMD.

7 years ago

Unfortunately in my country (Croatia) there are not Black Fridays and stuff, and so there are no savings depending on the date (Xmas, Helloween etc.. ), so it's basically the same if i buy it now or in a month-2-3 period :(
Sorry i didn't put all the facts in my first post :(

7 years ago

I'd recommend an Nvidia over an AMD, based on a lot of experience dealing with AMD driver updates, but without knowing which games and applications you're going to use, or what specific cards you're interested in, the comparison is difficult.

Here's a good site for specs: www.game-debate.com

7 years ago

TY..i know the problems with AMD drivers, had an Radeon card, but i think it's better now, isn't it?

7 years ago

I think it's better since Crimson updates

7 years ago

I never had any big problems on my R9 290.
Drivers work well. And if there is some issue it usually gets fixed in a few days.

7 years ago

So, the dilemma has been resolved..
The duel is now :
RX470 8Gb vs RX 480 8Gb.. :) (8Gb coz of long-run)
Difference in the price is like 10-15% between:

SAPPHIRE Video Card AMD Radeon RX 470 NITRO+ GDDR5 8GB
vs
XFX AMD Radeon RX 480 RS 8GB with Hard Swap

What do you think?

7 years ago

Not XFX unless in a good area for their warranty - in Australia they dont do the 'lifetime' warranty but if you are covered in your country maybe it is worthwhile.. I had a 3 year old 7950 die the other month and they said only 2 years warranty so I refuse XFX from now on..
Sapphire are fine
480 vs 470 both 8GB the main difference is a small clock speed boost - go the 470 if on a tight budget - I'd suggest if can afford, go for Gigabyte/Asus for better warranty

7 years ago

So, despite it's RX480 XFX is bad or what?
It's 3yrs warranty here for this XFX card..now you got me in a doubt :)

7 years ago

7 years ago

well well...

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

depends if the 15% breaks the bank xD for me $360 AUD is about the most I want to pay so I could get an 8GB 480 but I would prefer to save $50 if I could on a 470 8GB hehe

7 years ago

A 1060(6gb) or a 480(better the 8gb)

Go to your store\website or wherever you want to buy it and go for the cheapest, (if the 1060 is 10/20€ more than the 480 it would be still a fair price)

7 years ago

not really worth paying more for 1060 at the moment, Imean, the lower power usage is nice but 480 has more memory and only slightly worse current performance - and a GPU is for now AND the near to medium future, not just now.. and 1060 won't be so good in 2 years. For free, I wouldn't scoff at either xD

Nvidia also had that memory issue thing for the 4GB cards where only 3 or 3.5GB was useable.. I worry about that also being a factor still

7 years ago

10/20€ would be re-gained on consume, in 1-2 years.

the 3.5 is not a problem, also I doubt you'll use 8gb anytime soon.
1060 is better now and that's a fact.

The "480 will be better in the future" is not a fact, is an hypothesis, Rise of the tomb rider (dx12) runs better on a 1060

7 years ago

Nvidia 1060 and AMD 470 are not in the same price range (on average, the 470 is about 30% cheaper, something like 280€ vs 200€ on most stores).

If you can buy a 1060, you can also buy a 480, and that one is more "futureproof".

7 years ago

Thanx..yes, my decision will go to RX480 now i reconsidering the manufacturer coz XFX is not the loved one..

7 years ago

Sapphire is the best.
But xfx isnt too bad.

7 years ago

You shouldn't be sorry on no giveaway, nobody is obligated to put one in all their threads.

7 years ago

But..i am coz it's nice to give something if you ask for something.

7 years ago

What do you guys think:
MSI AMD Radeon RX 470 Gaming X 8gb

7 years ago

Looks nice enough.

7 years ago

i've got the sapphire nitro+ rx 470 8gb and i'm more than happy with it.
depends on how future proof you wan to be. the 1060 is faster in directx11 games. it runs nearly all actual games faster than the 470/480. but i think more ram will be important in the near future. and the rx 470/480 runs faster in directx 12 and vulkan.

i can run every game maxed out (except watch dogs, but that's a problem with my cpu).

7 years ago

I heard the sapphire nitro+ rx 470 may get noisy under load. What is your experience?

7 years ago

I got 1060 6GB and i'm very happy with the product. Take a look to reviews and you will se the nvidia card usually gets 1 to 4 FPS more in general.

7 years ago

7 years ago

But this one is nicer enough. PowerColor is a good brand. Just be careful as it only has DVI-D and DisplayPort output, so if you have an analogue or HDMI monitor, you'd need to buy cables as well.

7 years ago

I have DVI monitor and it has DVI port..but if you look at the http://powercolor.com/global/products_features.asp?id=614#Specification you can see it has HDMI also..

7 years ago

Ah, so they paid for a HDMI. Nice. I see it on the backplate now, yes:

View attached image.
7 years ago

Since i can get it without VAT i think it's the best buy choice as of now..

7 years ago

You'll like the card. :) It should serve you well for some years to come.

7 years ago

Hope so.. thanx! :)

7 years ago

Looks like a good decision. I guess you will be happy with it the next three years.

7 years ago

Amazing choice! If I were to buy an AMD card I would definitely chose that one, benchmarks shows amazing improvements from the blower original design. I think you're quite safe buying that 3rd party card :]

7 years ago

Worst PCB of all RX 480 cards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nEbpn6NKPQ

7 years ago

GTX 1060 6GB and RX480 8GB are pretty similar, depends wich games you want they will be a little bettter on one or another, you can check for each game you want. So I would go with the cheapest you can find.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

7 years ago

Well, I can't exactly compared between the two brands but I've been using the 6GB version of GTX 1060 and I'm thoroughly satisfied! I can max out everything on almost recent games running at 1080p 60 fps. If you're not planning on playing 4k, multimonitor, etc, then the GTX 1060 is a great choice.

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.