Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

End of Days (1999)

American action horror film. It's about an alcoholic former NYPD detective who finds himself embroiled in a religious conflict and must protect an innocent young woman who is chosen by evil forces to conceive the Antichrist with Satan. Good effects for the time, some cool stunts, an entertaining story and the cast (Arnold Schwarzenegger, Robin Tunney, Gabriel Byrne, Miriam Margolyes, Rod Steiger, Kevin Pollak, Udo Kier, CCH Pounder, Mark Margolis and more) is very good, too. Overall this movie is definitely better than I expected. Can recommend.

2 weeks ago

Stahlfabrik (2017)

German mystery horror short film. It's about a guy recording a video who receives a mysterious package. Yeah, it's not bad but it's probably better if you actually know the people/youtube channel that made it. Can't recommend it.

2 weeks ago

Ruin (2011)

American animated action short film. It's about a man on a mission who is being followed by a killer drone. In today's episode of "early short films by good directors" I decided to check out this one made by Wes Ball, who most recently directed Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024) and before that the Maze Runner trilogy. Funnily enough, this animated short actually got him the Maze Runner job. And it's very entertaining, so I can recommend it.

2 weeks ago

Barbarian (2022). Decent horror, but not anything new.

2 weeks ago

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

New Zealand mockumentary horror comedy film. Rewatched this yesterday and I still love it (and I still want We're Wolves).

2 weeks ago

I enjoyed that movie a lot. The tv show is good also

1 week ago

Oh yeah, I gotta watch that show some day. Heard good things about it.

1 week ago

Papillon (1973)
I liked the movie, some very interesting shots. 4/5

2 weeks ago

Tales of Terror (1962)

American comedy horror film. (This movie consists of three short sequences, based on the Edgar Allan Poe short stories, so I'll split my review into three sub-reviews.)

Morella

It's about a grieving widower and the daughter he abandoned. Cast consisting of Vincent Price, Locke Maggie Pierce, Lenora Locke, Leona Gage, Morella Locke and Ed Cobb. It's in my opinion the weakest of the three stories, but still good.

The Black Cat

It's about a drunkard and his wife's black cat. Cast consisting of Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Joyce Jameson, Lennie Weinrib, Wally Campo and more. I really like the scenes dynamic between Price and Lorre.

The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

It's about a hypnotist who prolongs the moment of a man's death. Cast consisting of Vincent Price, Basil Rathbone, Debra Paget, David Frankham and more. Price and Rathbone play very well off each other here. Also cool makeup effects. This is probably the best out of the three stories.

Overall I can definitely recommend this. One of the few Corman-Price-Poe movies I haven't seen yet. Not my favourite of the bunch, but it's definitely worth the watch.

This is the beginning of my week of Roger Corman movies because sadly, he just passed away. If you don't recognize the name, let me tell you a bit about him. He was one of the most influential film people ever. He gave a start to directors like Francis Ford Coppola, Ron Howard, Martin Scorsese, Jonathan Demme, Peter Bogdanovich, Joe Dante, John Sayles and James Cameron, actors like Peter Fonda, Jack Nicholson, Dennis Hopper, Bruce Dern, Diane Ladd and William Shatner and was all around a massive influence to everyone who came after him, directly or indirectly. He directed over 50 movies and produced almost 500. He handled U.S. distribution of many films by noted foreign directors, including Federico Fellini, Ingmar Bergman, François Truffaut and Akira Kurosawa. For me, he was a legend. I know that word gets thrown around way too much these days, but he definitely deserves to be called that. I can't even imagine how different the world of cinema would've been nowadays if it wasn't for him. There's a high chance that on any given movie there are people who were influenced by someone who was influenced by Roger Corman. Now this titan of cinema has passed away at 98 and the world just got a little darker.

2 weeks ago

Machine-Gun Kelly (1958)

American biographical crime action film. It's about the criminal activities of the real-life gangster George "Machine Gun" Kelly. It was a big hit for Roger Corman and Charles Bronson's first leading role. Overall I can very much recommend this, even (or especially) if you only know about the other Machine Gun Kelly.

2 weeks ago

It was "Mars Express". Very cool looking french toon. Reminds me of "I, Robot" and "Ghost in the Shell".

2 weeks ago

I Mobster (1958)

American crime drama film. It's about the rise and fall of gang lord. Definitely a good movie and only 80 minutes long, so I can recommend it.

1 week ago

Where The Crawdads Sing (2022). Pretty decent drama film. But has some plot holes and stuff so can't rate full, "only" 9/10 on iMDB.

1 week ago

The Intruder (1962)

American drama film. It's about a social worker who arrives in a small town of Caxton but as it soon turns out he's working on behalf of a racist organization to incite racial violence against Black townspeople because of desegregation. William Shatner plays the lead character and he's surprisingly brilliant in this. It's a very raw movie, it makes you feel like you're actually there. And while I'm partial to horror when it comes to Roger Corman movies, this one is genuinely great. Highly recommended!

1 week ago*

If we're talking movies; I'd say "Red Vs Blue Restoration (2024)". Wanted to see if the farewell finale was worth it and it was just a long 90 minute goodbye. But if we're talking the last real movie I watched and enjoyed, I'd probably say V For Vendetta (2005). That movie alliteration still gives me chills. The writing was so solid.

1 week ago

Gas-s-s-s (1970)

American post-apocalyptic black comedy film. It's about a gas that is let loose upon the world that kills anyone over 25 years old. It's very bizarre, a bit surreal and kinda disconnected at times. Not really my cup of tea, so personally I can't recommend it.

1 week ago

The Haunted Palace (1963)

American horror film. It's about a guy arriving at the small village where his warlock ancestor was burned 110 years before. Despite being marketed as "Edgar Allan Poe's The Haunted Palace" this is actually an adaptation of HP Lovecraft's short novel "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" and it's the first time anything Lovecraft was adapted to film. I mean they mention Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, the Necronomicon and more. I love every other Roger Corman/Vincent Price movie and this is no different. Very entertaining, under 90 minutes long, overall something I can definitely recommend.

1 week ago*

Persona (1966) - Pretty great movie, imo. Great filming locations, acting and story. Probably one of Bergman's better ones, altho i only have finished two so far. Everything is just top notch. I rate it 10/10.

1 week ago

The St. Valentine's Day Massacre (1967)

American crime drama gangster film. It's about Al Capone, criminal gangs in 1920s Chicago and the famous Saint Valentine's Day Massacre. This movie is so authentic, you could almost describe it as a docudrama. It's definitely not your typical gangster movie which makes the protagonist into a hero who just happened to have a bad upbringing or something. Roger Corman himself described it as "the most accurate, authentic gangster film ever" and it's definitely the most accurate, authentic gangster film I've seen. Although I do love those less accurate, more romanticizing gangster stories with the likes of James Cagney, Edward G. Robinson and actors like them. But still, I definitely thought this one was very good as well, so I can recommend it.

1 week ago

The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)

American horror drama film. Rewatched this yesterday and it was still very good.

1 week ago

Corman's World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel (2011)

American documentary film. It's about Roger Corman. Well, the last movie I'm watching in this Roger Corman week isn't by Roger Corman but about Roger Corman. This documentary is full of massively famous people like Jack Nicholson, Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Paul W. S. Anderson, Ron Howard, William Shatner, Quentin Tarantino, Bruce Dern, David Carradine, Peter Bogdanovich, Joe Dante, Jonathan Demme, Peter Fonda, Pam Grier, Eli Roth, Penelope Spheeris, Dick Miller, Irvin Kershner and more, most of them worked under Corman at some point or at least were influenced by him. Roger Corman was so important to movies and cinema in general, it almost can't be put into words. I can definitely recommend this documentary but be aware that it might expand your watchlist by quite a bit.

RIP Roger Corman

1 week ago

I noticed your theme of the week.
RIP Mr Corman. Recognition rarely comes in your lifetime when you're a genius.

1 week ago

The Listener
Directed by Steve Buscemi, it's a movie about a help line worker and takes place all in the course of one night shift in a one room apartment.

Of all the post-pandemic one location movies I've seen recently (I've seen quite a lot), this one is really the only one I'd watch again and recommend. Buscemi's direction is flawless and it never feels like a static or stuffy, or like it might as well have been a podcast, as is often the case with those movies. The camera gliding over its character, the way it almost tenses up at some of the most dramatic points, it almost has a life of its own as a character.
Excellent performances byThompson (who is the only actor you see) and a top notch voice cast, especially Alia Shawkat and Rebecca Hall really give great depth to the script.

1 week ago

Well, now I know which movie I'm going to watch tomorrow. :D

1 week ago

Haha I thought about you when I saw it was a one location movie ;)

1 week ago

How did you stumble across it?

1 week ago

I was just checking the Apple tv catalog at my gf's. I hadn't even heard of the movie before that.
Sometimes indie movies are still extremely indie. You would think names like Thompson's or Buscemi's would at least mean some publicity...

6 days ago

Blended (2014)

American romantic comedy film. It's about a man and woman who find themselves stuck together at a resort for families after a blind date, where their attraction grows as their respective kids benefit from the burgeoning relationship. Very lighthearted comedy with some romance sprinkled in. And Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler definitely play well off each other. Sure, the movie isn't anything deep, but a good watch nonetheless. Can recommend.

1 week ago*

The Listener (2022)

American drama film. It's about a helpline worker taking calls. It's a single-location movie (and some people here might know how much I like those) with only one character on screen (played beautifully by Tessa Thompson) and different people calling her, telling her their stories. You might guess that sounds boring and to the wrong people it might be, but if you're curious about the movie after my review (and Fluffster's two days ago) then I can definitely recommend it. It's very well made and at under 100 minutes maybe even a bit too short for my liking.

1 week ago

It's very well made and at under 100 minutes maybe even a bit too short for my liking.

Heh that was my only criticism too. I wish there was another few calls. The last one left me feeling emotionally drained though so it would have had to be before that.

5 days ago

Talk to Me (2022)

Australian supernatural horror film. It's about a group of teenagers who discover they are able to contact spirits using a mysterious severed and embalmed hand. This was very good, I honestly wish it would've been longer. It's surprisingly good, actually. Seems pretty original, too. Overall I can definitely recommend it.

5 days ago

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024)

Australian-American post-apocalyptic action adventure film. Watched this at the cinema yesterday. It's about the life of Furiosa before she met Mad Max. I'm not going to spoil anything, but you should really go and watch this on the big screen. The cinematography is definitely getting and Oscar nom because the movie looks incredible. The characters are fascinating, the plot is awesome... if you liked Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) and want more like it, this movie definitely scratches that itch. It's not quite as good as Fury Road, but I'm not lying when I say that this is one of the best prequels ever. Sure, I may have been a bit more in the mood for this movie than other people, because I just started playing the 2015 Mad Max game again last week (after abandoning it in 2017 because my old PC couldn't handle it), but still... This is definitely one of the best action movies of the '20s so far. Again, if you're even a little curious about it, go watch it on the big screen. Highly recommended!

5 days ago*

Legend (2015) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3569230/

Tom Hardy is great, ok movie.

The Irishman (2019) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302006/

Pretty good but Iam not a fan of alot of narration in films.

Dune Part II (2024) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15239678/

Great movie, Iam surprised it was not adapted into 3 parts instead of just the 2.

5 days ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.