I have three hard drives and they are all kinda packed. So i was looking in my memory management and i found my main drive had 170 gb of unallocated space. I was wondering what would happen if i was to create a partition out of it? Would it wipe the other parts of my drive?

Here is what im talking about.
http://s5.postimg.org/ut58l0b8n/image.png

And i have XP SP2,

9 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

no wipe. just do it.

9 years ago

Okay thank you.

9 years ago

No, it won't. Just curious, why are those parts unallocated, though?

9 years ago

I have no idea. My PC was my dads and he built it around 2006 so that could have something to do with it.

9 years ago

You should be able to just extend your current partition to make use of it.

9 years ago

There is no option to extend i think.

9 years ago

You will have to use a hard drive partitioning tool, search for one. Some are free, some cost money.

9 years ago

Oh okay.

9 years ago

you can expand your other partition so you don't have 2 + partition on the same drive but having 5846 partitions or 2 partitions, is the same drive so you dont loose any performance (actually i never tried 5846 partition but its might not be a good idea after all :S )

9 years ago

Okay. But how do i expand a paritiom?

9 years ago

go on file manager, right click on ''This pc'' on the left tab (should be under your pc name) go on manage then on storage on the middle tab -> disk management (middle tab again) ->all your drive should appear right click on the partition that you want to expend and press on extend volume, put maximum space and you will merge 2 partition.

You cant merge 2 allocated partitions, you only can merge 2 unallocated partition or 1 allocated with a non allocated partitions.

you can use AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition for more feature but you need to download it, its free, more option and you can do a lot more thing than only the feature of window

9 years ago

Either extend your current partition or make a new partition. Its basically space that hasn't been partitioned yet.

9 years ago

Thats what i figured it was. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't wipe windows from my PC.

9 years ago

try MiniTool Partition Wizard.

9 years ago

I just created a new partition. It seems to work.

9 years ago

ok, its just a nice tool. try it next time.

9 years ago

Okay. Now it wont let me add a new steam library folder. THere always has to be a catch.

9 years ago

did you restart your pc?

9 years ago

No. How did i not think of that. I will do that now.

9 years ago

Turns out it didnt work.

9 years ago

If you use mini tool partion magic, you can actually allocate that space to your main partition or create a separate like normal. There are loads of other software solutions you can use, I just happen to have used partion magic.

9 years ago

If i ever need to do this again i will look in to that one.

9 years ago

EaseUS Partition Master (free). Merge the space/resize, hit Apply and restart. Easy peasy.

Or just format the partition to something usable (fat32, ntfs). It's all pretty straight forward.

9 years ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.