Picking a new monitor as a replace for my old 5:4 19" Samsung. Any advice for any particular 24" model?
What's better, 16:9 or 16:10?

Commence the holy war!

Current choise: Dell U2412M

Thanks to everyone for responses and some actually useful pieces of advice.

Now continue the holy war! (If desired)

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

16:9 as stable standart, I had NEC 22" with 16:10 and trust me, you don't want 16:10

1 decade ago

What issues did you experience?

1 decade ago

16:9 is the aspect ratio. Meaning you get 16 times the width for every 9 in height.
For most movies (16:9) this means they'll fill the screen without any black bars along the bottom and top of the screen. For games, it's not too bad as you can usually select what screen res you'll be playing in. However, has others have already noted, not all games give you the full supported selection from what your monitor can do. At least most games try to fit with the 'hd' format that is 720 or 1080, so you'll be wanting 16:9 to fulfil that role.
Otherwise, you might find games a bit out of shape or need to run with black bars at top and bottom.

1 decade ago

Never had games run with black bars except fossile dune 2000 and command and conquer games.
Movies? Yes, but those are pretty small, you don't really notice them.

1 decade ago

Actually now that I think of it 1 game I played didn't support it so I went into the .ini file and changed it, worked fine then....

1 decade ago

16:9. not all games support 16:10

1 decade ago

Not all games support 16:9, either - some run only in 4:3 :P
OK, but seriously - 16:9 or 16:10 - it doesn't really matter. At worst, you'll be playing a game or two with some letterbox, which sounds bad, but actually isn't - when you focus on playing the game, you barely notice it, anyway.
However, here's a thing - with a 16:9 monitor, you can potentially run the game with a higher FOV (that is, unless the port of the game is complete crap) and that is an advantage, I wouldn't ignore.

1 decade ago

You can just play in 16:9 at let's say 1280 x 720... You don't really see the difference...

1 decade ago

"not all games support 16:10"
Really? I did not have this problem in. .. all games I've ever played

1 decade ago

+1 never had an issue, pretty sure Getty never used a 16:10....

1 decade ago

The Witcher 2 didn't have 16:10 support until the first patch, almost five days after release.

THE WORST WEEK OF MY LIFE

1 decade ago

Buy 32"+ TV with real 100Hz. I'm using such for some time already and I couldn't go back to small monitor... It's worth money.

PS I would rather use 16:10, but as they said above, it can cause black stripes on the screen.

1 decade ago

No can do - a screen as big won't simply fit at my working place.

1 decade ago

Simple solution... get a bigger working place =P

1 decade ago

16:10 if you're doing anything other than watching tv shows and movie all the time.
Go for the famous Dell U2410. Otherwise, look for something with an IPS panel, avoid TN panels.

1 decade ago

What's the ultimate superiority of IPS?

1 decade ago

If you don't mind some black bars when watching TV broadcasts (since they're mostly 16:9) then go with 16:10 for sure, but it's getting harder and harder to come by these days. 16:10 just offers more vertical viewing space when browsing the Internet or working.

As thereaganator said, if you can afford it, get the Dell U2410. If you want something a little cheaper, then go with the Dell U2412M. Both are IPS models, the latter using LED backlighting, however it's not quite as good in my opinion despite being newer.

The superiority of IPS comes down to colour reproduction (very accurate) and viewing angles (very wide). TN panels are faster, but don't match IPS for picture quality.

I have a Dell U2311H (23" IPS little brother of the U2410) myself and am very pleased with it. If I had the money at the time, I would have bought a U2410.

1 decade ago

Actually, Dell U2412M was my first choice. I surely don't have enough money to spend for superior models.

Thanks a lot for this substantial reply.

1 decade ago

When choosing between the U2412M and the U2410, I typically tell people to go for the U2412M. The kind of user that is unsure about their ideal IPS monitor is the kind of user that doesn't need the professional accuracy of the U2410. It's one of those "you'll know you need it" situations.

1 decade ago

16:10 is so much more suitable for a pc monitor

1 decade ago

16:11 or 16:666

1 decade ago

Those are too expensive.

1 decade ago

I would go with 16:9!

1 decade ago

16:9 absolutely!
I suggest you monitors with IPS panel, e.g. I own a Asus ML239H, really good one but is a 23". Otherwise, u can go for a Dell U2311H (23" either).

1 decade ago

16:9 - More native support. And when you run into 4:3 apps, it'll scale with sideboxing just as well to 16:9 as it would 16:10.

1 decade ago

16:9 monitors beat 16:10 monitors when watching 16:9 TV and movies. If that's most or all of what you'll be doing, 16:9 is the winner.

16:10 is better for everything else (office work, games, video editing, Internet browsing etc) so if one of those is your focus, or you're after a general all-rounder, get 16:10.

(16:9 is cheaper to manufacture, which is why it's been pushed so hard)

1 decade ago

Makes me sad that most screens are 16:9 nowadays, wish it was th other way around honestly.

1 decade ago

If the only thing you will ever do is watch movies, and you're certain you'll never do anything else 16:9. Otherwise 16:10.

1 decade ago

People always use the "movies" argument for 16:9 monitors and I don't know why. I can understand if it's TV broadcasts, but movies are almost always shot in a far wider ratio than 16:9, in other words, you'll always get top & bottom letterboxing.

1 decade ago

Yes. But some people hate letterboxing and want to minimize it as much as possible. Also, there's a number of BR movies that come in 16:9 or have an option to show you pan&scanned 16:9

1 decade ago

I used both 16:9 and 16:10 and 16:10 is just better as a computer monitor.
My monitor is a 16:10 HP ZR24W. It's an IPS monitor but the model is 2 years old. Pretty nice as it has low input lag.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

1 decade ago

I would go for HP but they are kinda too expensive for me atm. Thanks for sharing though.

1 decade ago

16:10 here, no complaints.

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

+2

1 decade ago

+3 Dont know why they choose 16:9 For god sake...

1 decade ago

Because it was widely agreed aspect ratio and thats way mostly manufactured. This way it became cheaper and most attractive aspect ration to work on different applications.

1 decade ago

16:9 doesn't beat 16:10 for watching movies(16:9) format there are thin black horizontal lines at the top and bottom, (slightly larger than the windows taskbar. Its not very noticeable either, if you get a 16:10 monitor you will never go with a 16:9 model,it's just too cramped vertically. I guess if you ONLY ever watch videos, but if you do web browsing its very noticeable.

I have both, the 16:10 is primary and 16:9 is secondary (its a replacement for a 1600x1200 that kept being shit and having it returned for warranty over a dozen times.)

I guarantee that the people who think 16:9 is better have NEVER had a 16:10 monitor, and I've never played a game that doesn't work on my monitor.

The only reason to get 16:9 is that it will be cheaper, but its an inferior resolution

1 decade ago

"I've never played a game that doesn't work on my monitor."

yeah this.

1 decade ago

Thanks for a thoughtful reply, I shall consider this point.

1 decade ago

4:3

1 decade ago

Love it, but after working behind a widescreen for a while I would say it's kinda in the past now.

1 decade ago

What's the difference between 4:3 and 16:9?

1 decade ago

4:3 is not widescreen methinks.

1 decade ago

16:9 is equal to 4:2.25

I know, math is confusing sometimes.

1 decade ago

Hahahahah nevermind, I derped :D 44 = 16 and 33 = 9 hahahahah

1 decade ago

4:3 monitors are the best.

1 decade ago

16:10 if you do anything productive with your computer.

1 decade ago

Only 16:10

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

16:10 master race reporting in

1 decade ago

4:3 is the master race, you cave dwelling peasants!

1 decade ago

I have 16:9 20" and thats good for me ;)

1 decade ago

16:10, More room from computing and the same amount of room when gaming and movies.

1 decade ago

16:9 is better for multimedia stuff and 16:10 is better for productive stuff. When you play games it's better to have a 16:9, practically you won't see any difference but some games (only a few) don't support 16:10 resolutions.

BTW: Which resolutions do they have, I don't think there are many 16:10 monitors that have a better resolution as 1080p. It looks like 1920 x 1200 monitors are more expensive (at least on Amazon), maybe that could make a difference for you.

1 decade ago

24" will have 1920x1080 & 1920x1200

1 decade ago

16:9 best for gaming and bluray ;-)

1 decade ago

16:10. Most movies are not in 16:9 anyway

1 decade ago

256:135 like a boss

1 decade ago

16:10 is, mathematically speaking, closer to the ratio of the "golden rectangle", which makes it more comfortable to look at, so I went for, and also would recommend you, a 16:10 monitor

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by twinchenzo.