These are the following rules:

• All used stuff needs to be free to use (don't use stuff that might give me problems). For example: don't use the Disney Font or Images (part of Images) where you are not 100% sure, that you are allowed to use it. (Of course you can draw characters and stuff).
  • I need the picture digital. Best would be a png that's at least 1080p. It will not be printed so it should just look good at a normal HD resolution.
  • The aspect ratio does not matter. It should be possible to watch the Calendar without scrolling on a normal (HD) screen.~~
  • There should be 24 doors. Doors should have the (exact!) same size (it would be okay if door 24 will be bigger)
  • The Calendar should be "safe for work" and stay in the theme "christmas" and "games"

Why should you do it?

• The winner will not only be named in the calendar and collect tons of bluehearts, you will also get one game from your wishlist up to 30$ (you decide what game you get).

How can I win?

• Add me on Steam and send me your picture. You have until November 25th.
  • Win the Vote from November 25 till November 26.

Note:
The picture will still be yours and you keep all the rights on this picture.
You allow me to use the picture in this event.
I will not use the picture to gain any money in any(!) way, there will be no ads or anything on the picture or on the page the calendar is used on.
You will be named as the creator of the image.
The image will only be used on the calendar.
You can ask to remove the picture anytime you want.

Last year's calendar courtesy of MoltenDragon

View attached image.
5 months ago

Comment has been collapsed.

I wonder if anyone is going to use AI to generate them. I would imagine some really nice looking advent calendars could be created with very little effort or skill. I don't know how I feel about it because it would be nice to have a bunch of good looking calendars to choose from, but I would feel bad for the people that actually have skill and take the time to draw the image by hand or digitally.

I wonder if you have an idea in your head of what you want, if you could draw a really quick basic sketch of stick figures and shapes to represent things to show the AI how you want it laid out and then upload that to the AI and tell it to reproduce it in a certain way. That would probably give a better result than just trying to explain what you want in text and then at least it would be made from your vision.

Edit: I don't plan on generating an AI image to enter in the contest, but I was curious what it would create. I have never generated an image with AI, but apparently the DALL-E image generator was recently integrated into ChatGPT. You need to pay to use it through openai, but it is available for free if you use Bing. They only let you use it if you are using Edge, but like most people, I don't use Edge. To get around this, I just changed the user agent in Firefox to make the site think I am using Edge. I would imagine it should work the same in Chrome as well.

I just had it generate some images and it did a good creating a cozy, snowy, mountain village at night, but it didn't do the advent calendar with 24 random windows containing a video game character part. It also didn't generate it at 3840x2160 like I told it to, but maybe I gave it too many instructions at once. I followed up with more instructions to adjust the image, but it said it should be ready in a few minutes and nothing happened after 15 minutes. I asked if it was still working on it and it said that it was and it would be ready in a few minutes. It's now been like 30 minutes with no new results.

5 months ago*

AI is very good at generating large scale nice images, but horrible at small details, and these calendars mostly consist of small little references and easter eggs, so i think generating a full calendar with just AI is not gonna happen. Though i could see someone creating a base with AI, and then starting from there. But that's like the easiest part, so i don't really see a point.

5 months ago

Yeah, I kept playing around with it for a while, but it does not follow instructions very good at all. It just picks out key words from what I write and generates an image without trying to understand the full sentences of what I write. It can generate nice backgrounds that could be used to build off of, but if I give it specific instructions like "some, but not all of the windows should be lit from the inside with a yellow glow as if lit by a fireplace or candles", it just lights up every single window like the image below.

It will not place the characters looking out of the windows, it always scatters them around the town. It will not make the characters look like the real characters. I did get it to create characters from well know video games at one point, but they were clearly not meant to be the real characters. They looked more like stuffed animal people wearing costumes of well known characters like Link, Sonic, or Mario.

I also could not get it to create the image at any resolution other than 1024x1024. I said that I wanted it to be 3840x2160 and it told me that it sent it to my email (because I am signed into an Outlook email account), but I didn't get anything.

View attached image.
5 months ago

AI is very good at generating large scale nice images, but horrible at small details

Midjourney has freehand and rectangualar tools for selecting areas of the picture. You can regenerate them and update their prompts, so tweaking all those little details is possible.

5 months ago

I think the free versions of these AI image generators will only output images at a small resolution.

That said you do raise a good point.

5 months ago

I did generate an image for last year's calendar with AI, but in the end, decided against participating with it. Wasn't sure would rules even allow it and thought that it might not be fair to non-AI participants.

You can quite easily use process that you described to make an image with AI. Scribble some stick figures and then use AI to generate image based on your sketch. You can also iterate on different parts and keep adding details as RePlayBe mentioned.

5 months ago

Dunno man if I should participate this year, I feel like my "tehnique"is really outdated for new generations XD...

5 months ago

I actually really liked yours from last year. I thought it was the best one in terms of the drawing, but having almost no color kept me from voting for it. I feel like the colors make the image more cheerful and exciting to look at.

5 months ago

You miss all the shots you don't take ;P

5 months ago

For me, it was never about the prize (heck, my backlog is bigger than my life span), it was about making something different, that represents me; it might not be good, not bad either, but "was made by my hands" XD

5 months ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

5 months ago

bump

5 months ago

Bump, thanks for organizing this again Sinnedue!

5 months ago

Thank you for organizing, take a humble bump :)

5 months ago

Happy Cake Day! 🍰🎉

5 months ago

Thank you kind soul! :)

5 months ago

bump

5 months ago

Last year said I might try and ended up doing nothing. Gonna say it too this year and see if I'm inspired ^^

5 months ago

bump!

5 months ago

This thread needs more attention, so... BUMP!

5 months ago

bump

5 months ago

Bump!

5 months ago

Bump! ✌️

5 months ago

Bump :3

5 months ago

Bump!

5 months ago

Thanks for interesting event. I don't know if I will have time, but I need to try. :heart:

5 months ago

bump

5 months ago

Bumpy.

5 months ago

Bump!

5 months ago

10 hours left, so one last bump!