The Seasonal Badge.

All the badge requires is spending steam points, and you get those by spending money on the steam store. It does not require spending money from your credit/debit card, a gift card, or your wallet--unless you lack the required number of steam points. You get 100 points per dollar spent in the steam store. I believe that money spent on the community market does not grant points.

The Winter 2023 Badge Collection is up right now.

I intend to update this thread from time to time with the new badges. The available badge on the Steam Points Shop page updates during the Summer & Winter sales. When the next badge releases, this badge will be unavailable to purchase.

• You can purchase all levels at one time or you can purchase them piecemeal. If you purchase one badge, and then later want to purchase a higher-level badge, you only pay the difference between the level that you have and the level you are purchasing. Eg: The level 40 badge requires 40,000 points. If you already have the level 10 badge, you only pay 30,000 additional points for a total of 40,000 points to get the level 40 badge.

• Each level of this badge gives you 100 additional XP towards leveling up your steam account, up to a massive 4,000 XP for purchasing the Level 40 badge!

Apologies to all who felt misled by my original (2024-01) title. It was never my intent to mislead, but realize that what I typed was a poor choice of words. I threw the topic together in a few minutes before going to work, and didn't fully think through the wording.

View attached image.
4 months ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Do you collect these badges?

View Results
Yes
Level 1-5
Level 6-10
Level 11-15
Level 16-20
Level 21-25
Level 26-30
Level 31-35
Level 36-40
No
Sometimes
Potato

Reserved

Winter Collection - 2023 "Cookies"

4 months ago*

Thank you! I had no idea this was a thing :D

4 months ago

prefer not to go all out and save for avatars,etc

4 months ago

Free is very subjective here, so I'd remove that from the title. In order to get the level 40 badge you should have spent $400 on the store. If you're at 0 points right now because you used them on something else, this isn't free as you couldn't get it.

By the same logic, video games are also free, assuming you got unlimited funds in your wallet. All you need is $2000 in steam wallet and the newest aaa game is "free" right?

4 months ago

In order to get the level 40 badge you should have spent $400 on the store.

Funny thing: if you bought a Steam Deck you should have enough points to buy the level 40 badge that features... A Steam Deck!

View attached image.
4 months ago

That's the only reason I have enough points for it, I bought a steam deck. Still not sure if I wanna waste them on this badge though

4 months ago

I´m not that interested in badge-collecting, but that Steam Deck cookie looks nice.. I´ve got more than enough points, but not sure if I´m willing to waste 40K just for this... I´ll ponder it a bit more.

My 4-year-old son recently arranged an apple and a banana on our table, called me and said: "Look dad, its the Steam Deck logo!" xD

4 months ago

I totally agree on that. When I saw the truncated title at the bottom of the web page I thought it was a special event... Then I clicked and saw the requires Steam Points. That's not free, it's not IRL money, but Steam points are still some sort of a currency. The items we got for 0 Steam Points for the Steam 20th Anniversary or the current long name fest are good examples of free.

4 months ago

Apologies. As I've said elsewhere on this page, it wasn't my intent to mislead, but I now fully understand how and why some people felt misled. I realize now that it was a poor choice of words. I was trying to do a nice thing for the community here, but should have thought through my wording more.
I ask for your pardon and have updated the title.

4 months ago

It was misleading, BUT: You did something nice for the community nevertheless, thank you very much for that!

4 months ago

Thank you for your kind words and forgiveness.

4 months ago

You're welcome! :)
I bet that there are many people know about these badges, so even showing them to us is very nice of you.

4 months ago

And, I've updated the title and I think I've asked everyone's forgiveness who commented on my poor choice of words. Hopefully that will help alleviate any aggravation, irritation or anger etc that people felt towards me over my poor wording.

4 months ago

True, but I don't think that someone is angry with you. Mistakes happen to all of us and it's not that you have scammed someone.

4 months ago

It's alright. As I said elsewhere on the thread, I don't think clickbaiting was the intent. It does not cost IRL money, for someone that often spends money on Steam it's "free". Just not the case for everyone (most of us, I think).
Thanks for updating the title!

4 months ago

Thank you. i thought about this, and I've changed the title. I also added a disclaimer in the description.

On the one hand, It is free in that it doesn't require spending wallet funds or using your credit card to purchase the badge. However, as you said, you have to have previously spent money on steam to have a points credit. I had 13,000 unused points in my account. Nothing huge, but i've never run out. I also almost never buy higher than the level 1-5 badge.

4 months ago

Don't see why this is marked as free, you have to use points which in my opinion are better used elsewhere.
Still, some people might find it useful to spend their points there and didn't know about it

4 months ago

What else you can do better with your points?

4 months ago

It's up for personal taste, but upgrading your showcases on your profile(fitting more of the things), buying backgrounds, avatars, emojis, stickers. Also to give awards on profiles, reviews, guides or forum comments.

4 months ago

+1 to this what else is there that is better? lol

i bought level 40 of the badge cuz i was under the impression there is nothing better, might as well level up your steam account so i dont look like a low level noob

4 months ago

I've edited the title; it wasn't my intent to mislead, and I apologize.

4 months ago

In my opinion, profile aesthetics and upgrades for showcases

4 months ago

I thought what your post meant was, the only requirement is a positive balance: guess that was too optimistic, however I do agree with previous posters pointing out this shouldn't be marked as free.

4 months ago

Edited; thank you. I've not been out of points since about the time that the points shop opened, so I had forgotten and not considered that some people might not have points.

Sincere apologies.

4 months ago*

I guess this is one more reason for me to buy Baldur's gate 3

4 months ago

I got the Level 40 badge for the Winter sale 2022 but I don't "collect" them. It just looks nice and I don't collect other (game) badges anymore.

View attached image.
4 months ago

Looks nice indeed!

4 months ago

clickbait title

4 months ago

Clickbaiting might not be OP's intent, but yeah, seems like everyone's agreeing it's not free, lol.

4 months ago

Apologies; that wasn't my intent. I realize how people took what I wrote, and have changed the title.

4 months ago*

what's free?

4 months ago

Nothing. If you don't already have Steam Points, you need to spend money to get points. IIRC, $1 = 100 points. So yeah, that makes $10 per level.
Of course, you're not directly purchasing the badge with money, but you still need to spend money at some point in order to be able to get those badges.
Or, somehow get enough points from rewards...

4 months ago

You tricked me with the free one.

4 months ago

Apologies. It wasn't my intent to mislead, but I see how people are interpreting what I now recognize and fully acknowledge was my poor choice of words.

4 months ago

I duno about free, but seeing all those cookies made me hungry...

4 months ago

So it's 1000 points per level. Honestly, I'd rather spend my points on something else.

4 months ago

I have enough to get some badge levels, but I'd rather get seasonal profile themes and startup movies for my Steam Deck. But thanks for the heads-up!

4 months ago

I didn't even know they sold startup movies for Steam Deck, thanks, there are some really cool looking ones.

4 months ago

They're my favorite point store items, and I was buying them even before I got my Deck since they work for Big Picture mode too.

4 months ago

Didn't know that either, Valve really needs to start sending out emails explaining new features like this.

4 months ago

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know either that they sell these animations.

4 months ago

Since it is free, give me couple of profile awards to have enough points to buy more. I only need 12k points more.

4 months ago

I like this one. :kappa:

4 months ago

Apologies; it wasn't my intent to mislead people, But i realize my word choice was very poor and led to people getting the wrong idea.

I had 13,000 extra points and almost never purchase anything other than the level one badge. I honestly hadn't thought about people having no steam points. I was trying to do people a service, and didn't fully think though the wording before going off to work.

4 months ago*

You don't have to apologize. I knew about the seasonal badge thing was live cause I purchased seasonal badge levels for the first time during the winter sale.
I did have steam points as usual which I saved and already spent weeks ago. What confused me while still knowing about it is that I thought I could redeem some free higher level seasonal badge.

4 months ago

I see. Yeah, i understand how that could be really confusing. FWIW, I think the ornament you have is the nicest of the levels this year.
Thank you.

4 months ago

Didn't know about this. And I have a lot of points. Thank you!

4 months ago

So how does it work? Buy level 1 first then level 2, etc or buy a higher level immediately?

4 months ago

you can buy it all at 1 time

4 months ago

Also, if you purchase the level one badge, and later purchase the level two badge, you only pay the difference between the level that you have and the level you are purchasing.
The level 40 badge requires 40,000 points. If you already have the level 10 badge, you only pay 30,000 additional points for a total of 40,000 points.

4 months ago

That clarified things. Thanks!

4 months ago

I'm glad it helped, and I've updated the OP to reflect the answer to your question. 🤠

4 months ago

Thanks for separate topic, but just for info this is part of The Winter Sale 2023 topic started 3 weeks ago. I use those seasonal badges to level up. I kind of hoped they have added second badge :-)

4 months ago

I...did not remember that. I searched discussions for a topic listing/keeping track of seasonal badges. I had the idea, due to when i learned about it, and misreading reddit post dates (posted =/= updated date!!!) that this badge started after the winter sale ended. Cece corrected me on this.

So, this topic might hopefully morph into keeping track of seasonal badges over the next several years, or i might just close it. I'm undecided right now, and very tired.

4 months ago

My vote goes to keep this topic for keeping track of seasonal badges.

4 months ago

I like that idea, it's be cool to have a thread dedicated just to badge releases. :)

4 months ago

All except lvl40 looks meh, tbh. And obviously I'm not going to spend 40k points just for some badge.

4 months ago

Am I late to sell torches and pitchforks?

4 months ago

You are but I can start a fight in the thread for you if that helps.
Edit: Done. Hope that helps

4 months ago*

Do I get any steam level increase with buy ? I am 36 steam level rn, and I have more than 135k points :D

4 months ago

Upgrade this badge by using your points. Badges are shown on your profile page and contribute towards profile XP. Check back during the Summer and Winter sales for an all new seasonal badge.

So, yes, having at least level 1 counts towards your steam level. SteamCardExchange says that each level gives you 100 additional XP

4 months ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 months ago.

4 months ago

Too rich for me. All the ones I can afford kinda meh and I'd rather use my points as they were intended (to shame people who have a different opinion than me with clown awards) than to buy badges.

(Opinions in this post may differ from my own, I'm just trying to start a fight so that Adam can get his torch and pitchfork business going. Blame him)

4 months ago

😂 🧐 o7

4 months ago

I bought 40 lvls... it moved me from lvl 80 to 85.. it really worth it. Oh wait. Actually no.
I do not use Steam points to anything - but still feel ripped off anyway.
Insane when u notice such useless thing was for previusoly spent 400€...

4 months ago*

I have 129,000+ points... I've never really been tempted by the badges, but maybe I'll get a Deck Cookie? Who knows if/when they'll add more cool Startup movies or other stuff I like, haha.

4 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.