Hello,

i was curious and filled a spreadsheet manually with all my GA from past 11 years, checking the winner steam profile one by one.
Did he redeem the game ? Did he try it ? Well i've some personal stats to share if you're curious. But you may have totally different stats.
Because i gifted games from very various quality (some good some really bad). If you just gifted good or bad games, if you just gifted to specific groups, it could vary.

Some precisions first :

• usually i don't care that the winner plays the game, except some rare ones bought on purpose (that means if winner didn't play asset flip i couldn't care less, but if he didn't try astrologaster that's quite sad but it's life, and if he didn't try balatro i'll be quite pissed off)
  • i consider that a game has been played if the winner tried it for 2h unlocking the first achievements (the ones unlocked by 80-90% players - i'm not playing appreciated exigeant)
  • that means a game has not been played if it was never started on 11 years or if it was just idled

And now the winner stats !

• on all my winners, 32 profiles are now banned or self-deleted
  • didn't matter public or private, the GA winner didn't play more when the GA was private
  • on public/private GA, 20/500 games have been tried (not played - tried) on 11 years
  • but among my blue, 50% of the games won have been played (i mean trieDD for 2h)

And now the reverse stats :

• with my criterias i tried or played 20/54 games, i consider it low and will try to fix that progressively
  • why i don't apply to a group for people who wanna play ? i don't have the consistency but i just browsed one and added some animals from the group (some funny avatars, i found 4 penguins and 1 duck it's so cool)

What i have done with these stats ?

• i removed from blue the rare people who won +2 games from me and never tried them on 11 years
  • i added the rare people from public and private who tried their win (2h played / very first achievements unlocked)
  • i blacklist nobody, and these stats change nothing ; anyway whitelist is much more powerful than blacklist

https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/$cL8$/foretales
$ is walking somewhere in this text

1 week ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Do you hope that the (good) games you gifted have been tried (not played, tried) ?

View Results
Yes at least 30 minutes
Yes at least 2h
Yes at least 5h
Yes at least 10h
Nah i couldn't care less
i just love potatoes

Honestly, I don't wanna find out, specially because I'm very aware that I'm years behind when it comes to playing my wins since I usually just pick games at random when deciding what to play next. I have legit installed games with the intention to play them after being done with whatever I was currently playing just to completely forget about them, those "few days" can easily turn into years without me noticing.
I'd rather just mutely nod along with those who won my giveaways in silent agreement to not discuss the subject.

On an unrelated side note, you mentioned checking achievements and it reminded me of the many times I got a mandatory story-related cheevo from a game, one that isn't particularly hard to get nor it requires that much playtime, just to be shocked to notice that it's one of those shiny "under 10%" achievements. Like, how?

1 week ago

You answered me after a terrible night years ago.
Feel free to win and not play, it's my way to show you gratitude. Also you're a permanent blue for me.

1 week ago

Thanks 💙

1 week ago

I do care about the giveaways I make, cz I paid money to get these keys!

Now do I care about if they are played?
Depends on the game, if its something with either good reviews or something I enjoyed played. I will 100% expect the winner to play it. I also do add a note for the entrants to only enter if they see themselves playing that game in the near future.

I see Winners who just +1 good games as the equivalent of them taking the GA creator's money and binning it. Not so nice. 😖
For that matter +1 culture irritates me, glorifying unhealthy consumerism seems disturbing to me and so i avoid convo in gaming circles regarding game deals and freebies. Because its seldom about their experience of playing a game, enjoying an amazing story, etc. This is just my perspective ofcourse, there is no right or wrong. Im also learning about things with time.

About myself, BLAEO and PAGYWOSG have instilled the need to cherish the GAs i win. Since I discovered them early on, I was thankfully wise enough to only enter for games that I see myself actually playing! I look forward to playing each of those wins. I also check the HLTB of every game i think of entering and only then do I enter. So there is a bit of overthinking involved!
Im happy with this sort of mindfulness for games that I have, now i just need to shift this mindset for things in life that actually matter 😅
I also use the 'Did you even play bro?' script on myself, so that I can keep myself in check!

But the pursuit of cherishing games shouldnt come at the cost of Real world goals. And so, play when you can or if you are in a bind, dont enter GAs at all.

1 week ago*

I agree with most of your point of view, the value of the hard money you earn, the message you add to specify which games you wanna absolutely be played, the logic to not enter when life catches back to just let a chance to others, etc.

Except of course that no matter how we watch it, there are shit games, i know because i gifted a certain number 🚪🏃
And for these ones, thank you to the +1 collectors.

Also i see that you're from the hardcore part of the backlog fighters !

1 week ago*

Closed 1 week ago by coleypollockfilet.