Hi! So, I was wondering - I've never been a fan of the Half-Life series, and wouldn't play them if I won them, which is why I don't enter giveaways for them. However, there are several game mods I'm aware of that require various versions of HL, and I would most certainly play those. Because of this, would it be ethically/morally alright for me to enter giveaways for the games? One the one hand, I would be receiving entertainment and satisfaction from the giveaway, as would anyone else. On the other hand, I'm taking away an opportunity from someone who may enjoy the ACTUAL game, and may need it more than I do. So, sorry to bother you all, but I just thought I'd get some opinions in this - part of my OCD is that ethical things like this really drive me mad. :)

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

mods? did you mean like counterstrike where it uses the HL Engine?

1 decade ago

For example Zombie Panic! Source or Smashball, I suppose.

1 decade ago

I don't know; I meant things more like Dear Esther or Elevator Source (yes, I'm THAT kind of gamer). I don't think the former requires HL, though, it's just an example I picked off the top of my head.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

1 decade ago

True, but that doesn't mean I should add to that number... I'm weird like that,

1 decade ago

On that basis alone, you should :)

1 decade ago

Well i mean it is a give away and you dont own the game anyway so i don't see anything wrong with it.

1 decade ago

Wow, someone who's actually got a sense of morals on the internet! My opinion is that you WILL be using the game, or at least the game engine, which is close enough. So you're not using it how most other people would... you're still using it. I'd say go for it, but if you're super concerned still, you could contact the giveaway creators and ask them personally if they will allow it.

1 decade ago

Hmm... that's a tough one...

Personally, I would say go for it. I'd let it for any of my giveaways. I'd prefer you at least give Half-Life a decent go at some point (presuming you haven't before and just think it's not your style of game), but I'd be happy to let you in if you needed HL for the mods.

1 decade ago

Oh, I have, and it's REALLY not my thing, sadly - I tried to be open-minded, but it's really not. Half of it is that I'm really bad at the genre, and half of it is that I'm simply one of those rare people who don't like the series. :)

1 decade ago

Fair enough. Still, though, my decision isn't affected. If I made a HL giveaway and someone entered for the purpose of mods, I would have no objections whatsoever.

1 decade ago

Half of the people entering will do so just to add another game to their library, or they'd try to trade it or something if they won, or they just enter every giveaway they can just because. You would not be adding to that number. You actually want the game for yourself and will get use out of it. That alone makes you a much worthier recipient in my opinion. I'm referring to public giveaways, of course. I'm pretty sure private and most group giveaways have a better entrant base. That said, if I were gifting it, I still wouldn't have a problem with it going to you anyway, private giveaway or not. I'm always glad to put things into the hands of people who will love them and use them, no matter in what way they choose to do so.

1 decade ago

Video game developers have discovered around around 10 years ago that all gamers have OCD and must collect EVERYTHING!
Thus DLC was born. Damn you DLC! Yes, you must obey the OCD and enter.

1 decade ago

I'm not positive, but I believe any game that needed HL2 would need it for the Source SDK, which you can now get for free. I'd google it, but I'm just not going to.

1 decade ago

Ah, but I believe there are a few that not only require the Source engine/SDK but also assets such as textures from other games, such as HL.

1 decade ago

If you're talking about Source Engine Mods - not Goldsrc (HL1) - then for a lot of them all you need nowadays is Steam. :)
More accurately the mods that are based on "Source SDK Base (2007)" which should be in your tools tab in your Steam library. Most of the mods that are available for download through Steam fulfill this requirement.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

1 decade ago

I got Episode 1 and 2 so I can play Nightmare House 2.

I say go for it.

1 decade ago

Thanks for the comments, everyone - I think the general consensus here is that it's alright, so I'll go ahead and close this now. :)

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Rubrica.