Hi, i want know what is "dangerous" temperature for my CPU "AMD X8 FX 8350 4.0 GHz"?

I used MSI Afterburner to see the temperature, and playing Pathologic Classic HD scored for 48-51 degrees, it is normal?

This is my specs:

SO: Windows 10 64-Bit
Case: Itek - Case DEFENDER - Gaming Middle Tower, USB3, 3x12cm fan, 2xfan control, Trasp Wind, Docking, Fan Front: 120mm Led Fan 2, Fan Top: 120mm Led Fan 2, Fan Back: 120mm Black.
CPU: AMD X8 FX 8350 4.0 GHz
MotherBoard : ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 R2.0
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970 4 GB VRAM GEFORCE GDDR5
SSD: Kingston 120 GB SATA3 || Letture sequenziali 2: SATA Rev. 3.0 fino a: 450MB/s || Scritture sequenziali2: SATA Rev. 3.0 fino a: 450MB/s V
RAM: 8GB DDR3 HYPERX CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600Mhz (Blue)
Power Supply: iTek mPower 820W Modulare

8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Y normal. Around 70-80 C is already bad for any CPU if im not mistaken

8 years ago

Thank You for response, waiting another confirmation.

8 years ago

I use AMD and I gotta tell you man, the temperature varies.. and it's probably not real. All of the AMD processors have that problem.
Like tell me mine on idle can be 5-8 degrees celsium. That's a temperature in a fridge.
I am not sure 100% but the sensor can be defective just like 90% of AMD proccesor sensor, that's my point.

To lower your temperature make regular change of paste or/and switch to a NON stock cooler.

8 years ago

NON stock cooler?

8 years ago

When you get your processor you get a stock cooler. It's not good.
You mighy wanna check Proccessor cooler of Noctua or CoolerMaster, doesn't matter if you see any other manifacturers but I suggest you buy another one.
The real temperature can't be messured as the sensor on AMD chips is bugged, I have tried different programs for mine it says the same 5-8 degrees. I use NOCTUA NH-D14 cooler.
Tho you could be good on the sensor and just you termal paste to have gone dry. When was the last time you changed it or when did you buy your PC?

8 years ago

Which program use for the real temperature? AMD Overdrive?

8 years ago

Use CPUID HWMonitor.

8 years ago

CPUID HWMonitor don't say only Volts components?

8 years ago

View attached image.
8 years ago

Thank you for screenshot

8 years ago

Prince i do screenshots (before i play) idle:

http://i63.tinypic.com/1490bk1.png

http://i65.tinypic.com/qs3uv5.png

8 years ago

I removed the side part of the case and the temperatures have changed.

I tried Dark Souls III and have temperatures ranging from 58 to 43 degrees, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD was as temperature 43 ° degrees, and Fallout 4 was as temperature 56 °.

Temperatures are quiet since my CPU resists these temperatures, also written in the AMD website.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/search/CPU/AMD-FX-Series/AMD-FX-8-Core-Black-Edition/FX-8350/92

8 years ago

If the temps are lower when the side of the case is open, it means you don't have a good airflow. All the hot air is building up inside the case. If you have the money for it get a new cpu cooler and some more fans for inside the case, Install the fans as in the picture I showed you below.

View attached image.
8 years ago

Anyway 56° degrees for Fallout 4 and for Dark Souls III 58° degrees, im safe right?

8 years ago

Yes those are good temperatures but it isn't recommended to keep the side of your case open, you will get a lot of dust inside.

8 years ago

Yeah, i know, but i let open ONLY play games, and close the case after off PC, for the dust i know but i play ONLY 2 hours a day.

I think for 2 hours a day, nothing happens right?

8 years ago

Just clean out the case a bit more often and you should be fine yes. Glad you can play your games again.

Good luck and enjoy :)

8 years ago

Thank You for the patience.

8 years ago

No worries mate :)

8 years ago

I already do myself no find nothing.

8 years ago

From what I have read, the max temps are 62 for the core and 72 for the socket. I don't know where the temperature readings we get are taken (should be core), but the 48 to 51 that you are getting sounds normal and safe.

8 years ago*

AMD recommends you keep that CPU under 61C. It should throttle down once it reaches 70C.
Having said that, 51C is perfectly fine for gaming.

EDIT: Some documentation. Scroll down to FAQ.

8 years ago

"My processor is running 55C under load. Is this normal?
A: Safe CPU temperatures are 60 degrees Celsius and below. It may still run fine with CPU temperatures, exceeding 60C threshold by a few degrees. Running the FX-8350 close to 70 degrees and higher is not recommended."

So is safe on 69 Degrees?

8 years ago

Should be fine but on the long run I would prefer the temp to be a bit lower.

8 years ago

No, you should try to keep it below 60C if at all possible.
Anything over that will degrade the CPU much faster over time.

8 years ago

No, it is not. FX CPUs should be kept in the 60-65 °C range for prolonged times. If you are around 70 degrees, get a better cooling (more fans in the case, open the case and use a desk fan) or downclock/undervolt it a little.

8 years ago

But on the AMD site of my CPU it does not say that you can also keep it at 75 ° just not long periods.

Nothing happens and then at 75 ° for example, for 1 hour or 2 hours?

I always play 2 hours a day.

8 years ago

It'll chip away the CPU's life span, to put it simply. Even electronics are prone to material fatigue, and stressing it with that much heat is not healthy in the long run. 2 hours is more than enough heat a day.

8 years ago

So should not even at 2 hours of play per day? In short words?

8 years ago

Yes. Keep in around 65 maximum.

8 years ago

Don't kill me xD But i don't understand if you say "yes" for no worry or "yes" for dangerous too for 2 hours only.

8 years ago

2 hours at 75 degrees = not dangerous.
2 hours at 75 degrees daily: over 700 hours spent over safe temperatures a year = potentially dangerous.

8 years ago

lol I have permanently 80-90°C when I play and 70°C when nothing is open. Im not even using my graphic card because if i do, it reaches over 100°C and my Notebook crashes due to high temperatures...
And you complain about 50°C ? xD

8 years ago

Do you have an AMD 8350 CPU?

8 years ago

No, i have an Intel i7-3630QM with 2.4GHz (Turbo 3.4GHz) with a NVIDIA GT640m. Actually the temperatures arent normal. I sent it to the repair center and they cleaned it and changed the Fan but it has still the same temperatures.

8 years ago

Every CPU is different and designed to run and safely handle different temperatures. The 8350 can only safely run up to 62 degrees, your cpu can run up to 105.

8 years ago

I think its not normal though. It can still affect other hardware and damage them. As i said i cant play a game normally. I have to use the lowest settings to play it...

8 years ago

Try one of these.

View attached image.
8 years ago

It would not be normal in a desktop. I am also running an Intel (desktop) and I try to keep mine under 75c at max load when overclocked. I'm not sure about gaming on a notebook though. I would imagine almost any notebook is going to run very hot when gaming because they can't pack that big of a cooler into a small notebook. Best bet would be to look up and see what temps other people are getting in the same or similar notebooks and see if it is normal.

8 years ago

Intel's max temps are around 100-105. AMD CPUs are about 40 degrees under it. This is why laptop manufacturers really don't like them, they cannot keep them cool enough.

8 years ago

I have an FX-8320 OC-ed to 4.4ghz and my max temp stays under 60C although in the summer it will be a bit higher but I'll down clock a bit then to 4ghz.

8 years ago

8320 Mustard race!

8 years ago

Cheap and it does the job well enough ;)

8 years ago

Pretty damn good option in that price range :)
I've got one myself.

8 years ago

I didn't even bother to buy a more pricey 8350 since it's the same as the 8320 after I OC-ed it

8 years ago

I was extremely tight on my budget. Damn EU prices :D

8 years ago

Same here :)

8 years ago

Your temperatures are normal. Are you using an aftermarket cooler or the stock one?

8 years ago

So I'm using the Case 2 fans, one behind the houses (almost next to the video card) and the other in front of the Case.

8 years ago

I mean the CPU cooler :)

8 years ago

My AMD X8 FX 8350 4.0 regular use is 45-48c and 53c to 56c when gaming. Stupid H60 Corsair liquid cooler i got.

8 years ago

Over 65C isn't normal, but not really dangerous. Over 70 is dangerous and will impact on performance. Your computer would start shutting down between 70-75C. I have an old 1075T x6, OC'ed to 3.38GHz and it runs on 50-53C at max I really love AMD in terms of overclock stability.

8 years ago

Max Temps 61° C

http://products.amd.com/en-us/search/CPU/AMD-FX-Series/AMD-FX-8-Core-Black-Edition/FX-8350/92
You're 10 degrees below the max safe temperature for that processor, nothing to worry about.

8 years ago

Yeah, but i scary for 1 thing, if Pathologic Classic HD (is "old" game) and have 47-51 degrees, if i play for example The Witcher 3 Ultra what i have temperature high degrees? :(

8 years ago

such drama.

8 years ago

processor load dosent neseesary dependes on how new or complicated a game looks, most games have no effect on my CPU, only with GTA V i seen it reach high % of ussage.

8 years ago

Run a CPU stress program like Prime95 and check the temps. Some modern games use the GPU more than the CPU so that is not a reliable indicator.

8 years ago

If you are doing long sessions I wouldn't keep it that close to the 50's for too long. I try and maintain under 40 if I am going to be playing for more then an hour. The damage it does is in increments so you won't exactly know if it's really doing any harm until it's actually too late most of the time. Depending on the fidelity you are accustomed to and the optimization for the game this might not always be possible. Really make sure to airblast your fans every couple of weeks depending on your environment. I would need to try the specific game for myself but your current temperature for what I am looking at seems kind of high.

8 years ago

I can't play anything if I would keep it under 40C. Seems a bit low, do you have a source for that?

8 years ago

Hey my bad about late response, I don't check my messages unless I send out trade requests. No source why I would want it specifically that low. That's just my personal comfort zone when playing games for more then a couple of hours. I downloaded that program you recommended above and I think the number I was getting before is an average. Because with yours it's more around 42. You might get higher temps because of your computer, it definitely seems a little more beefy then mine based on the small screen above. If you meant like a source for my lower temp while running a game I could take a screenshot.

Edit: And nice works being so helpful in this thread.

8 years ago

Do you have a water cooled pc then? There are not many games in my library that stay under 45C, Crusader Kings 2 stays in that temp zone and maybe some indie games but every other game goes up to around 50 - 53C.

8 years ago

I wish I did ha. Only game I got installed right now that we have in common is Civ 5 and I hold that at 40c Max 42 it said today. The only game I got on Steam that's kind of beefier reqs I guess is Lords of The Fallen and everything on High at 4x AA I got 46c. I knocked it down to medium because the lag became noticeable after I loaded a smaller area and saw how much quick I was moving lol. If you want I also have Talos and PD2 but I need to install Talos again and PD2 needs it's millionth update. Like I said though, I've only checked this stuff before for a few games that I play for hours straight which isn't most that I need to worry about heating things up. Talos though I remember my computer feeling hot so I am curious as to what that temp was now.

8 years ago

temps are fine and gaming is stressing the gpu much more than the cpu.

there are three ways to get better temps:
1) third party cpu cooler (noctua if you don't mind the terribile color of the fans).
good thermal paste (arctic silver 5).
my personal preference is negative pressure (dust is a killer for the system, so the less the better). from your case specs: 2 front intakes, rear and 2 top as exhaust.
good third party fans. balance the cfm of the fans (ie. all the fans are the same) and also the cfm-noise ratio (ie. deltas are great but they make the same noise of a plane taking off).

2) aio water cooler but you gotta read some comparisons because some aios are performing worse than a noctua air cooler and check what radiator size you can accomodate in the case and where.

3) custom water loop but I'd advise against it with you case and if you'd known how to do that you wouldn't open this thread ;)

8 years ago

I try with The Witcher 3 and play 25 minutes, my temperature is 71° degrees how possible? And BEFORE i try The Witcher 3, i stay deskopt for 5 minutes and the temperature is 31-34 degrees, how possib
le!?!?!?!

8 years ago

I've made a small drawing of how my fans are installed, you might want to change one top fan to blow in to the case, keep the other one (the one furthest to the rear side) to blow outward.

It made a great difference for me, before I had the 2 top fans both pull out the air but it also sucked out the cooler air.

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
8 years ago*

I have exactly your very first picture of the structure, in the "Top Fans" I do not have fans, then in the "CPU Fans" (left picture) I have a fan, in "CPU Cooler" I have a fan (which surely is the heat sink), then "Front Fan" I have a fan.

The second image is identical to mine, I mean the position of the components.

I honestly do not know what to do, staying in "Deskopt" I have 30 degrees ....

8 years ago

Do you have these problems for a longer time now or did it just started?

Your idle temp is nothing wrong with as I type this and have VLC play a movie my temp is 33C.

8 years ago*

Honestly i don't know, im not very expert PC, but i think always.

8 years ago

You probably have the stock cooler then, you might want to change it for something like this: scythe mugen 4 pcgh

When I bought my FX cpu I also used the stock cooler but it sucks balls.

8 years ago

Yeah, infact i see, no name heat sink, just black stock cooler.

8 years ago

For if you remember that many stock cooler Pin had the plug?

8 years ago

If I'm correct it was a 3 pin connector

8 years ago

But i need change heat sink/stock cooler?

8 years ago

Yes, If I were you I'd try to buy a new cpu cooler, you will get better temps but it could also be that you need more airflow in your case.

8 years ago

You say new Case? :(

8 years ago

No I said new CPU cooler or improve the airflow in your case with more fans.

8 years ago

But anyway CPU Cooler = Heat sink is the same component? (im not english)

8 years ago

The heat sink is the big metal block, if you buy an aftermarket cpu cooler it includes both the heatsink and 1 or 2 fans depending on the model you buy.

8 years ago

That's a water cooled cpu cooler.

8 years ago

Can you give me a link to the store where you buy your hardware?

8 years ago

Also, If I read it correct you say you have 3 fans in total? Front, rear and cpu fan right?

8 years ago

Yes, ur are right, infact in my box AMD FX 8350 say "+include heat sink" i need change heat sink?

8 years ago

I think you would do best to change the cpu cooler (fan+heatsink) to something I linked you before. (Scythe Mugen pc gamer edition) and get a better airflow in your pc case.

I have 7 fans in total in my case. 2 x 140mm in the front, 2 x 140mm in the top (ceiling), 1 x 120mm at the back and 2 x 120mm on my heatsink.

8 years ago

Stock Cooler with Fan include?

8 years ago

The stock cooler exists out of the heatsink (metal part) and a fan.

8 years ago

Yes that's a complete cpu cooler.

8 years ago

With Heat sink and Fan? = Stock cooler complete

8 years ago

Yes.

8 years ago

Check if you have dust in the cpu cooler :)

Maybe change the thermal past ? Or the CPU cool for a bigger ? 31 at idle is normal but 71... is it a laptop ?

8 years ago

Nope laptop.

8 years ago

Dust your case/CPU fan. Dust on the fins prevents proper heat dissipation a lot. Sometimes 10-15°C can be gained by blowing through the CPU cooler with a can of compressed air.

8 years ago

well, for intel, a mobile CPU will go 'til 90, desktop maybe 80. Though these are very high temps, slightly above that may just trigger a safety shutdown.
idk about AMD though

8 years ago

First of all it's a 125W CPU. It's even overclocked, so you should read that as 150W+. It's gonna be hot. It's AMD, AMD is gonna be hot everytime unless you use water cooling.

Praised be Intel.

8 years ago

I have 56-60° degrees without part case removed.

8 years ago

Intel cpu's actually run a lot hotter ;)

8 years ago

Nah, my Skylake runs around 50°C max.

8 years ago

From both my personal experiences and research into the topic:

As a rule you want to keep as close to the 40s as possible, for the sake of not wearing down parts, but anything below about 63C should be fine (as I recall 145F is the recommended temperature to remain under).
The threshold before you're really doing damage to your computer is 180F (aprox 82C)- you don't want to remain running things in that range- and as I recall, most processors have auto-shut-downs ranging between 180F and 205F, so yeah, not the best of temperatures to be running at.
Running in the 70~C range is demanding, but not immediately problematic- nevertheless, still not advisable.
60s, well, if that's what you can run at, it'll be alright.
While 40s are ideal, I don't think there's any real issues with running in the 50s.

tl;dr version: Running at 51C is fine. If you can get it down into the 40s then that's all the better [as advised above, compressed air and upgrading your cooling system both help], but there's no immediate concern with running in the 50s, especially low 50s.

8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.