Diablo 3's alternative auction house, where you can pay with actual money, launched today for North American players. Someone paid $250 for a high-level weapon. No, really.

Since Blizzard gets 15% of all transactions, that means they earned roughly 38 dollars for that one item.

The RMA is still "coming soon" for other regions such as Europe and various Asian countries.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

No.

1 decade ago

I would sell items for that price, because, well, EASY MONEY.

But purchase? Me? No way man.

1 decade ago

shut up

Seriously, 250$? I guess i'll start farming...

1 decade ago

I would most definitely sell an item for $250 and take $212.50 from whatever person would buy it.

1 decade ago

wow. seriously. 250$ for an item? no way.

1 decade ago

I'm not even buying Diablo 3

1 decade ago

I wouldn't pay a dollar for Diablo 3.

1 decade ago

That guy who sold it is probably pissing himself right now thinking "MONEY WELL SPENT, DIABLO 3".

1 decade ago

blizzard greedy bastards... ruining gaming spirit for that %15 profit

1 decade ago

Virtual item selling is present in absolutely ALL massive multiplayer games. All. From TF2 to WoW. Blizzard were just first to legalize it.

Smart move, and good job, Blizz.

1 decade ago

The real question isn't "should I buy this item for $250" (because the answer to that will be no in nearly every situation), it's "would you pay $5 to get a weapon that would take you hours or days to farm or afford yourself?"

1 decade ago

I wouldn't spend a cent for items to help blizzard in their quest to get richer!

1 decade ago

Blizzard's plenty rich already. Sadly, your little boycott means nothing to them.

1 decade ago

I love when kids think they're actually hurting a company's bottom line by refusing to purchase a product. Blizzard makes that kind of money in half a second; they don't give a shit.

1 decade ago

Yeah it's pretty silly when people think by not giving someone money they will have less money than they could have...

Wait... what?!

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

Even if the amount is marginal, it's still an amount...

1 decade ago

Exactly! Once you've established that people are prepared to pay money (any amount of money) for an in-game item, to avoid having to grind for hours/days, how much you can charge for it becomes intimately tied to the value people place on their time. Some people's time is more valuable than others.

I was reminded of this joke:
Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?"
Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "
Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"
Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!"
Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price"

1 decade ago

Yep. $250 seems like a lot, but it really isn't when you put it into perspective. If you're a computer engineer with an MS in the US, you make upwards of $50/hr (and this isn't a particularly posh position). If you were to play D3 to earn the same amount of gold you could just purchase, you'd be spending over 100 hours.

And based on anecdotal experience, a ton of engineers play MMOs. :P

1 decade ago

Either way, I'm pretty sure the $250 is tough to justify. The market should tank pretty quickly, and there are a lot of productive/fun uses for that much money.

1 decade ago

Also, I should mention that if you actually want money you can spend outside of Blizzard, PayPal takes 15% of what's left after Blizzard's cut.

1 decade ago

Never seen PayPal take anything close to that. Unless the payment is way under $1.

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

Are you sure that money really goes to paypal or blizzard takes another like %12 coz this is way over what paypal charges normally..

1 decade ago

The second link specifically says that PayPal takes it. Seems like an odd thing for Blizzard to lie about, especially when they are already taking an enormous cut, so I choose to take them at their word for it.

1 decade ago

Wouldn't call that enormous, Valve takes much more for user-created content in Team Fortress 2 (I remember 75% was for Valve (they could have changed that) - and that still given few guys enough money that it couldn't be sent through pay-pal...).

1 decade ago

No it doesn't. It says: "Note that sending proceeds to PayPal will be subject to an additional 15% transfer fee if the auction succeeds, calculated based on the amount being transferred. Note that additional fees from PayPal may apply."

Since it's Blizzard who's transferring the money it makes sense that the transfer charge goes to it.

1 decade ago

That paypal portion only applies if you are taking out the money from your blizzard wallet. You can leave it there, and buy say... WoW time or diablo 3 expansion, and ignore the second 15% cut.

1 decade ago

That's fine if you plan to use the RMAH to pay for WoW (I know there are some people that want to do that), but it doesn't mean much for those of us that have no interest in WoW.

1 decade ago

From the text it looks clear to me that the 15% goes to Blizzard. They also say that PayPal might take additional fees. Looks like they want the money to stay in their system.

1 decade ago

I wouldnt spend $250 on D3 itself prolly mostly because i am a cheap person.

1 decade ago

When there is a dupe, (believe me, there will be) Blizzard is gonna be screwed.

1 decade ago

I think you mean they will get loads of money

1 decade ago

I don't think you understand what he said.

1 decade ago

The game is a dumbed down diablo and I wouldn't have paid real money for items in the GOOD game, D2LoD

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 10 months ago.

1 decade ago

Please, I wouldn't even pay for Diablo 3

1 decade ago

^

1 decade ago

too late and i regret buying it

1 decade ago

This, I picked up the CE and regret it 100%. I'm for sure not gonna buy any items on RMAH.

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

+infinity

1 decade ago

+infinity +1

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 10 months ago.

1 decade ago

I paid for it and now I can't even play it.

1 decade ago

Doesn't Blizzard only get 1 Dollar from item sales? 15% is only from commodities sales like gold, right?

1 decade ago

Correct. The links I posted above confirm it.

1 decade ago

no

i wouldnt pay for diablo 3

or any other game trololol

1 decade ago

Is that an animated jpg?

1 decade ago

Wait nevermind it's a gif with a jpg extension.

1 decade ago

i would not, but alot of people will

I myself bought a gaming pc just by selling items in Ultima Online in its glory days.

But it was an mmo, and things were different. People needed gear to pvp, and time/dedication to get the gear. To a student like me time was worth alot less then the $ of the items, but to people with good jobs it was either a few hours of overtime in the office OR 20x that in boring (to them, not everyone enjoys grinding pve) gameplay time at home.

It's understandable in MMOs, but diablo is barely a multiplayer game, with no pvp, little and repetitive pve and nothing to do with godlike gear, if not bragging on the forums that inferno is too easy.

I preordered that too, couldnt get a refund for server issues, so i WILL try to get back at least a few bucks from it by playing the RMAH game (and probably failing due to the korean zerg horde)

1 decade ago

never

1 decade ago

No but all of a sudden I want to make money off Diablo 3...Problem is I would have to buy Diablo 3....

1 decade ago

You'd earn more money working at McDonald's for minimum wage, and that's completely ignoring the costs of internet, a pc, the game, power, etc. There's a reason all the gold farmers are in third world countries where the alternative is hard labor in a factory for dollars a day.

1 decade ago

I would if I could.

1 decade ago

if it is a hat, YES, TOTALLY

1 decade ago

TF2 Unusual Hat, guy wants one for $3000 in items. Its purely cosmetic.

http://www.sourceop.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=91836&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

(sorry don't know how to make links)

1 decade ago

clicky...
WTF!?

1 decade ago

Haha check this guys tf2 backpack.
worth about $29850.91

http://backpack.tf/id/mattie

1 decade ago