Diablo 3's alternative auction house, where you can pay with actual money, launched today for North American players. Someone paid $250 for a high-level weapon. No, really.

Since Blizzard gets 15% of all transactions, that means they earned roughly 38 dollars for that one item.

The RMA is still "coming soon" for other regions such as Europe and various Asian countries.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Oh yes, I'm really looking forward to this.

1 decade ago

how does the seller earn only$38 if the blizzard commission is 15%. would he have made $212.50?

EDIT: NVM read that wrong. thought it said he earned, not they for blizzard.

1 decade ago

Should this be Illegal?
and called internet gambling, I would rather pay 250 for pre purchase games...

1 decade ago

Don't really see how it can be illegal. I mean Blizzard did make the game, therefore they have the right to do whatever they want with it. :)

I believe any payments (Outside of buying the game) is actually illegal in Korea isn't it?

Not really gambling when you /purchase/ an item and receive it.

1 decade ago

Yeah, it really isn't as bad as people think. In the first 3 days my brother made in excess of $560, and has continued to make well above minimum wage selling stuff all week. I think it'll normalize a bit more, but it remains somewhat volatile even now.

1 decade ago

I wouldn't pay even a dolar for an item in diablo. Played beta, didn't like it (stupified version of diablo)

1 decade ago

Same here, I mean, Diablo III just isn't enough like Diablo II for me. I have the full game, but I enjoy Torchlight much more

1 decade ago

I agree with both of you. Torchlight is a great game.

1 decade ago

-facepalm-

1 decade ago

Wanna know who formed Runic games? Yeah. The old team of Diablo.

1 decade ago

Bullshit. 3 people from Blizzard North is there, I think there were more, but they already left. That's not gonna justify Torchlight as being better.So what if the Schaefer guys are there? They sure as hell won't code you the full game, and a lot depends on this.

Blizzard is still full of talented guys, and Diablo 3 is great. It just needs some time to be perfect, same way as Diablo 2 sort of sucked until Lord of Destruction.

1 decade ago

All it takes is one person to know the 'secrets'

1 decade ago

facepalm Diablo sucks with the constant need for internet.

1 decade ago

true.

1 decade ago

I agree it sucks for the need of internet...but still is a good game (but diablo 2 was better,no doubts)

1 decade ago

Okay... Diablo 3 isn't like the second one but it still a good game minus the shitty online DRM.

1 decade ago

Except that the DRM makes it a shitty game. That and the RMA + stupified skill tree.

1 decade ago

DRM is annoying, but still not cracked. In modern pirate world that is one hell of an achievement if you ask me.

1 decade ago

The DRM is not there to blow up pirates. The game´s designed around the RMA from the very beginning. And that makes the DRM more of a "anti-dupe" weapon.

1 decade ago

I also played beta and didn't like it. Luckily I played the whole game too and I fell in love with it. It is not simplified, it is just different.

1 decade ago

Just means you're not the real fan... still there are always stupid people who will...

1 decade ago

I never will pay nothing

1 decade ago

How does 85% of $250 come out to $38?

1 decade ago

Comprehension, they used to teach it in schools.

1 decade ago

Didn't know "they" was interchangeable with "Blizzard". In your case, "they" must mean "teachers".

1 decade ago

"Since Blizzard gets 15% of all transactions, that means they earned roughly 38 dollars for that one item"

He mentioned Blizzard in the sentence, so the sentence is talking about Blizzard.

1 decade ago

$37.5

1 decade ago

blizzard gets 15%, not 85%, the player will get 85%

1 decade ago

Obviously. Thought the OP meant the player selling the item only got $38.

1 decade ago

You are trolling right?

1 decade ago

yes. he is.

1 decade ago

On the sentence, the main 'subject' was the said company 'Blizzard', later in the sentence it is stated the word 'They' as there were no other 'subjects' in the sentence, 'They' is referring to the said company.
Its simple to understand that sentence tho. The 'player' wasnt even mentioned in that sentence/phrase. ^.^

1 decade ago

Well...it doesn't ?

1 decade ago

No way!

1 decade ago

Im going to get some money off this ^_^

1 decade ago

::: NO :::

1 decade ago

NO

1 decade ago

I wouldn't even pay 30$ for Diablo 3, so no xD

1 decade ago

that is money-making genius on blizzard behalf

like in TF2, i never pay for in-game items
i never even bought a skin in LoL, and almost everyone i know has a skin.

1 decade ago

I have a skin (in fact, 3) in LoL and I never payed for it...

1 decade ago

for LOL buying skins etc is the only way the company earns money, so as I can afford it I spend some money on RP (and consequently on skins). I consider it just a fair pay for my entertainment.
On the other hand I would never buy item in paid game such as d3 and I dont play "free" games where I cant access some gameplay content unless I pay (inaccessible vanity stuff is ok).

1 decade ago

Doubt it. I wouldn't spend $1. I don't see why people would buy items, there's not much replay value other than playing again in a harder difficulty and you can beat them just fine on your own.

1 decade ago

Pretty low amount and not unheard of. I think you might be new to microtransactions via mmo games. If this bothers you, do not probe any further, there are much more expensive instances of these virtual sales.

1 decade ago

I won't even buy the game, lol.

1 decade ago

i would pay a maximum of zero real money for diablo 3 items. i would gladly pay 250 gold for a useful item though

1 decade ago

I can't pay for a piece of pixel... I won't even buy this game... Too much Activision in Blizzard now...

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

Well, isn't buying a game the same as buying a piece of pixel, but in larger amounts?

1 decade ago

ummmm...... no.

1 decade ago

it is

1 decade ago

Throws handful of golds at monitor screen

1 decade ago

This is why I have completely ignored D3 and picked up a Torchlight 2 preorder instead. The fact that you're completely locked out of modding the game, the fact that the RMT auction house even affects drop-rates in world, the fact that it can't be paused, and if Blizzard's servers go down you're SOL for the duration... And the price difference! It boggles my mind that people actually put up with it when there are viable alternatives out there.

1 decade ago

D3 has issues, but TL2 simply won't compete with it. TL1 was a decent game, but it was missing something. I don't consider TL2 to be remotely viable as a reasonable alternative. Grim Dawn, on the other hand.....

1 decade ago

TL1 was far from decent. But I guess that it depends on what you consider decent. It has no story, only 3 characters with few skills, enemies that change only every 5 floors or so, backgrounds that change every 5 floors or so, the fact that you just keep going deeper and deeper in the same dungeon, easy enemies and bosses, etc.

1 decade ago

I just finished it a few days ago, and it certainly had a story. As much of one as D2 had, anyway. Plus, hundreds of mods, including collections of new classes, modified gameplay mechanics, new monsters, virtually anything you could want. I played it on very hard because it was rather easy, but there are even mods to fix that if you're so inclined. Based on everything I've seen TL2 will be more refined, but still just as open to modders.

1 decade ago

Yeah mods are nice but when you need mods to make the game decent its a sign that you did something wrong. The story is nonexistant, I wasn't comparing it to diablo's story, I'm just saying TL has none.

1 decade ago

Diablo story is epic, lol. How did anyone missed on that?

1 decade ago

Funny you say that, considering The Elder Scrolls games are some of the most heavily modded games out there. Just because the game can be modded or has been does not mean they did something wrong. The fact that developers allow users to make the game their own and create their own content is excellent and is something EVERY developer should do. Torchlight was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a horrible game. It was basic and and did its job. Providing a great ARPG game, with about as much depth as the original Diablo. Could it have been better, sure. But for 20 bucks, you got your monies worth and then some.

1 decade ago

Read again please. Yes, TES CAN be modded, but without mods the game is still good. TL1 without mods is dull and repetitive. You might have got your monies worth, me? Not by far. I can think of way better games for the same or even less money.

1 decade ago

Sorry, are you purposefully describing Diablo?

1 decade ago

And haters gonna hate.

1 decade ago

hurr mom look i'm trolling the internet

1 decade ago

Seeing as how Diablo and Torchlight are the same game made by the SAME PEOPLE, some people might get how they're pretty much the same.
3 classes: check
limited skills: check
Going deeper in the same dungeon: check
So... we're pretty much talking about the same generalized commonalities as if the people that made it went out to make a similar game on their own and oh wait... that's exactly what happened.

1 decade ago

Yes, it is similar to the first game. But you seem to be forgetting that the firs diablo was released on 1996, which is 13 years before TL1. Even if it is by the same devs, you'd think that after 13 years they would come up with something new instead of a cartoony version of diablo.

1 decade ago

This. I refuse to even pirate Diablo 3. I'm not letting Blizzard's code even run on my computer, because they're being hyper-controlling and money-grubbing.

1 decade ago

Let me give you a tip - you still can't pirate it ^^

1 decade ago

Blizz came out ans said that AH doesnt effect drops and the game was designed around your own drops.

1 decade ago

Thoses are what I call major rip off games due to theft and scamming of other players and gold farming currency, it don't matter if it real and virtual "real" money currency should be outlaw in game's becuase only for the rich kids get all cool tools, powers or weapons where rest of us it is a real dis-advantage to us other players.

1 decade ago

1. Play Diablo 3
  2. Sell rare items to rich people
  3. ???
  4. PROFIT!

Seriously, they're just using their money to avoid hard-work in-game because their time is more valuable to them than money. If money is more valuable to you than your time, you can leverage this fact to make money. Also, most people ("rich kids") who spend money on expensive things have to work hard to get that money, just like you.

1 decade ago

{<>.<>} might have to get this game just to sell items it can be my new night job.

1 decade ago

Some people pay $250 for time with a hooker and have nothing to show for it at the end, if they're lucky.
My father-in-law's golf clubs cost way more than $250.
I've spent double that amount on a handful of flying lessons.

So, Diablo 3 items aren't my bag, but if someone wants to pay money to do something they enjoy, I'm not going to judge them for it. It's really no different than someone spending $250 on Steam games.

1 decade ago

But flying lessons has more valve

1 decade ago

To me & to you. Others would disagree.

1 decade ago

This. I wouldn't do it but why would I care if someone else does? Who am I to judge what people do with their own money.

1 decade ago

One is a pixel item and the others are a form of entertainment. Though I suppose you could lump the item in with entertainment, but the item itself does not provide entertainment without the actual product ie Diablo 3. Spending $250 on Steam games is far different than $250 on a single item. Same goes for hats. You're an idiot if you do, in my opinion.

1 decade ago

Ok: some people spend $1000+ on alloy wheels which are (mostly) useless without a car. I don't see the point, but the industry is worth millions. Go figure.

If the single item gives you the same enjoyment, it is functionally equivalent to $250 of games. I personally don't see that it could, but then I don't really get MMORPGs and wanton click-fests either.

Basically, I think it's a very dangerous game to start calling people idiots just because they enjoy different things from you, or because they pay extra for things with low intrinsic value. Is someone an "idiot" for paying 100s of thousands for a Ferrari? Is someone an "idiot" for buying an expensive Marantz hi-fi system? If the money is less valuable to them than the time they'd have to spend getting the jewel encrusted sceptre of granthor themselves, they're up on the deal.

Most importantly though, buying an in-game item for $250 may be an idiotic thing to do, in your opinion, but people who can afford to spend $250 on in-game items generally aren't idiots. ;)

1 decade ago

but people who can afford to spend $250 on in-game items generally aren't idiots. ;)
You'd be very surprised on the people who buy these items. Very surprised. A lot of them are people that make quite the salary while the other half are 12 year olds using mommy's card and actual poor people that disregard everything in their life.

It's not because they enjoy different things. I just find it a silly to buy item(s) for a video game when you could earn it yourself. I guess.. hmm what would the word be here maybe integrity? Nah that doesn't seem right.. pride? Sounds slightly better. I could be a billionaire and I still wouldn't buy an item in a video game. Simply because I feel like I should earn it by playing.

I can see why people buy items. Time earning money > Time spent playing. Still in my opinion you're an idiot if you do purchase it for real money.

1 decade ago

You'd be very surprised on the people who buy these items. Very surprised. A lot of them are people that make quite the salary while the other half are 12 year olds using mommy's card and actual poor people that disregard everything in their life.

Ah, now we agree, someone who spends money they can't afford on anything they don't need is an idiot. ;)

"I just find it a silly to buy item(s) for a video game when you could earn it yourself. I guess.. hmm what would the word be here maybe integrity? Nah that doesn't seem right.. pride? Sounds slightly better."

That seems to be the crux of the matter. Some people just want to jump on and be able to play and have the same game experience as others, but don't have the time to invest. They don't value the hard/laborious act of "earning" the item, they value the item itself, and how it can help them kill orcs/demons/skeletons etc.

1 decade ago

I'm going to agree with adamofgreyskul

1 decade ago

I'm gonna grind my way to inferno, grab some epic loot, sell em till I get enough swag to pay for the game/the market gets saturated and quit.

1 decade ago

+1 except i'm going to save my money for better games like RE:raccoon city or the ship...or...alice madness returns...and so on...

1 decade ago

Working for a tenth of minimum wage, woo!

1 decade ago

$250? That is just way too sad.

1 decade ago

Wait wait, Blizzard gets 15%? Where the fuck does the rest of the money go? Or do you mean Blizzard earns 15% after expenses like server fees etc?

1 decade ago

Blizzard gets 15% of items price. The rest money goes to player who sold/bought an item

1 decade ago

It's like when you play poker in less than reputable places. The house takes a cut for setting up the game.

1 decade ago

Force said to pay MAXIMUM 20$ for item, NOT MORE THAN 20$

1 decade ago

wow...who the hell justs spends that on an ingame item...

1 decade ago

Well that depends on the item really. Does it spawn hookers?

1 decade ago

yes it does but only fat ones

1 decade ago

With 75% chance of herpes on touch

1 decade ago

That's what I'm looking forward to when I get the game. Personally, I like the idea of the auction house. If someone is willing to shell out $250 for a tiger trading card for WoW, what's wrong with doing the same for a weapon in Diablo. It's their money, so if they feel they should have it, they have every right to pay what they want.

1 decade ago

Mhm they have the right to choose where to spend those money....and make me richer for farming items :D

1 decade ago

Hey, I'm not ashamed to say I'd be going after the good stuff strictly to sell. Used to do it on WoW too.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by ErrEff.