Hi SG,

Winter is on the way and to help you get in the holiday spirit our yearly event is live for 2023! That means it's your chance to showcase your creativity and unlock great giveaways. Wishing everyone well this holiday season!

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
    • Please ensure your gift box design is appropriate for all ages and respectful of others in the community. Inappropriate designs will need to be removed along with the corresponding giveaway.
    • DLC and no CV games (those marked with a double asterisk in the giveaway list) cannot be given away in the event.
  2. Liking gift boxes

• When you're viewing a gift box and you're a fan of the design, show your appreciation by clicking the "Like Design" button. You also have the option to browse all of the gift box designs you liked or view the most liked gift boxes in the community. Remember, the button is for liking the design of the box and not for rating the game inside.
    • If you're the creator of a box you'll see the number of likes your design received instead of the button.
  3. Peeking in gift boxes

• You can peek in 10 gift boxes each day.
    • When you peek in a gift box, you'll see a random number of games (2-4) and one of them is contained within the gift box. You can use this information to help decide whether or not you want to open the gift box.
  4. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found when opening or peeking inside of a gift box.

Happy holidays!

5 months ago

Comment has been collapsed.

A tip for wrapping paper.

Like an image or want a close up of the wrapping?

Use inspect on the page, find giveaway_box_base or giveaway_box_cover and you can extract and open the image. No more blurriness or spinning.

You can also use the inspect to find and copy the tag backgrounds on imgur. They make nice wrappings.

5 months ago

I know we have the "lets be a surprise" and peeking feature but I really wished we had a total overview of what games there are to find, because as like last year I either am very unlucky or (whats more likely) way to picky. Or at least make it so, that we can see at the end of the event what all the boxes contain just to quence my curiosity.

5 months ago

Two questions:
1º Everybody has the same peek games on each box?
The number games I see on each peek varies so I assumed i was because of the games I already have, but it is a random number, as i have just read here.
2º The games that appear on peek are totally random or there are some rules (even if the rules are hidden)

3º Can't we add a selection of games that can appear on the peek games to our boxes?
I mean, if I add a bundled game, i don't wanna disapoint people if they are offered BG3 o any AAA game. On the other hand people would add three AAA games and a shovelware flipping asset game to the peek, and of course the box would have the flipping asset. So maybe it's better if it's random (and even better if that random has some rules, like if it's a shovelware don't add AAA to the peek games)

5 months ago

how ya'll getting the images to stick, nothing I try works :(

tried direct links, new links, made sure the extension was in the link .. what am I missing here :(

5 months ago

JPG, GIF, or PNG images hosted on Imgur.com. Images should be appropriate for all ages and in the following format: https://i.imgur.com/XXXXXXX.jpg

Direct links should work.

So must be on imgur.com. You can create an account and upload images, you don't have to create posts.

When you copy a link from imgur, it looks like this: https://imgur.com/vfATWhy
Put "i." in front of imgur and ".jpg" on the end, so it looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/vfATWhy.jpg

or .gif or .png

Correct format turns the input box green.

Not every animated image works.

5 months ago*

Thank you i'll give it another shot.

5 months ago

you can also just right click the image and click copy image address after uploading to imgur, it gets the correct format for here.

5 months ago

Thanks I did try uploading, but not uploading from a link .. maybe that's the diff.

5 months ago

cool. very cool.

5 months ago

If a gift box is opened and has a bundle which you own the entirety of, is there a way to, uh, unopen it?

5 months ago

nope.

I assume you opened the one I peeked at, a package I own all of.

5 months ago

One of the riskiest boxes I've found yet...

View attached image.
5 months ago

It still would be nice to have a way to hide adult-only or VR games. I like that people are able to make them, but one doesn't have to add and 18+ marker for their box or a VR only image so it would be great to be able to filter those out to not have to open them.

5 months ago

This might have been asked before - is there a way to stop the gift boxes spinning? Or at least slow them down?
Some of the gift box wrappers are very creative and a couple have made me lol :) Would be nice to sometimes read the captions.

5 months ago

i have a small suggestion to the "Available" filter to actually not show gift boxes for the game bundles that we have marked as Hidden

as example I am still able to see bundles (for example "Mortal Kombat XL") that I own but which I have already hidden. Last year it was a lot of "Grey Goo Definitive Edition"
(all this mentioned above though)

Happy holidays and thank you to all contributors - you are all breathtaking!

5 months ago

This was an option a few years back iirc but then people would just hide all bundled games until after the event so then they were guaranteed to open boxes with unbundled games. I remember a comment on it on last year's post I think. I do agree it would be nice but I also totally see why it's not an option.

5 months ago

I'd like to give away some games, but I'm a bit unclear on something.

From what I read here, I'm not able to put 3 games I would like to give away into one box.

Is that correct? And if so, then how are there so many 3-game boxes currently available? Are the 3 games pooled from different users, or am I missing something?

Edit: Work has done a number on my reading comprehension clearly, the latter question of how there can be multiple games inside one box is covered under Section 3 (Peaking in gift boxes).

5 months ago*

Do you mean multiple copies of the same game? Or bundles that contain three games? You cannot group random games together as there's no way to filter out those who own all three vs one out of the three. The site also cannot support it as it's based off of ids from steam store pages and there's no page for 3 random games together. Hope that helps.

5 months ago

Sorry for the confusion. To be clear, I was interested in giving away 3 distinct games inside of one box.

From what your response sounds like, it does not seem like this is possible. Thank you for answering.

5 months ago

You can give multiple copies of the same game in a single giveaway box not different games though.

5 months ago

So, just to clarify:

• 3 keys of Game A: Good to go for one single giveaway
  • 3 keys, one for each Game (A, B, C): Cannot be done in a single giveaway, would have to be 3 distinct giveaways for each key
5 months ago

Exactly

5 months ago

Thank you for confirming, I guess I'll have to find 2 more designs if I go through with this!

5 months ago

thanks!

5 months ago

In the future, can we discourage the inclusion of bundles for this event? I mean, I appreciate the generosity. However, there's no way for the system to exclude bundles that we already own most/all of what's inside, so we can end up wasting peeks and opens on giveaways that we shouldn't be able to enter.

5 months ago

Bump for the best box design so far and a new theory on existence of giveaways as observable property.

5 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.