Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I rewatched Avatar and then jumped on Avatar 2. They're fairly similar and enjoyable on the same level: not great but certainly not bad either, just good movies. To sum up the movie, Avatar 2 is a bit less blue, more boring, has less romance, it's full of kids and water, and of course the CGI is top notch.

1 year ago

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

American screwball comedy film. I think this is the most screwballiest of screwball comedies I've seen. Everyone in this movie is crazy in their own way, nobody makes much sense. But that's exactly what makes it so entertaining. Very good cast (Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn and more). Can recommend.

1 year ago

Legion of Super Heroes.

DAMN that was good. Can't wait for the followup after seeing the post credits scene.

1 year ago

The Pope's Exorcist (2023)

American supernatural horror film. Great performance by Russell Crowe, very good cast (Russell Crowe, Franco Nero and more) but overall not much more than your average demon possession horror movie. The last half hour did stand out a bit more, though. So I can recommend it. But don't expect a masterpiece.

1 year ago

The Mother (2023)

Jennifer Lopez being badass and trying to have emotional moments. Better than expected but nothing special.

1 year ago

Defending Your Life (1991)

American romantic comedy-fantasy film. We're following some guy as he is buying a new car. Just then, the first time he's driving his new car, he dies in a car crash. Now he's sent to Judgment City, which is kind of a temporary place for people who recently died. There your life is being judged. If you were afraid, they're sending you back to earth so you can try again. If you weren't, you'll get to move on to the next phase of existence. Then our guy meets and falls in love with a woman who seemingly lead a perfect life and is sure to move on, while he might not. Great cast (Albert Brooks (who also wrote and directed this movie), Meryl Streep, Rip Torn, Buck Henry, Lee Grant and more). Overall a good movie that I can recommend.

1 year ago

47 Ronin (2013)

American fantasy action film. It's based on fascinating real events, but it also has witches and giants in it, so it's definitely more on the fictionalized side of things. It could've been a lot better, just imagine how great it would've been if it was made by someone like Akira Kurosawa in the '50s. But like this I just didn't like it and while I personally can't recommend it, it still has a very good cast with Keanu Reeves, Hiroyuki Sanada, Tadanobu Asano and many more and if you just want to shut off your brain while watching something this might be good for that.

1 year ago

Voyagers (2021)

American-Czech-Romanian-British science fiction film. If you've ever heard of the concept of a "generation ship", that's what this movie is about. In 2063, scientists discover a habitable planet. They're planning a scouting mission, but the ~86 year long flight means that the grandchildren of the launch crew astronauts will be the ones who reach the planet. But unforseen thing are happening on the way. Can recommend!

1 year ago

The Polka King (2017)

American biographical comedy film. It's based on the life story of Polish-American polka band leader Jan Lewan, who was imprisoned in 2004 for running a Ponzi scheme. Good cast (Jack Black, Jenny Slate, Jason Schwartzman, J. B. Smoove and more). Overall it might not be a great movie, but it's an interesting story nonetheless. So I can still recommend it.

1 year ago

Sleuth (1972)

British-American mystery comedy thriller film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still one of my absolute favourites. Definitely one of the greatest murder mysteries of all time. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Air (2023)

American biographical sports drama film. This is 80s through and through. And so entertaining. What a fascinating story. And that's coming from someone who doesn't care or know much about basketball. And I'm usually not a fan of sports movies. But this one was genuinely really good. Well done to everyone involved. And I haven't even mentioned the great cast yet! Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Chris Tucker, Viola Davis, Jason Bateman, Marlon Wayans, Matthew Maher and more! If it's still running at a cinema near you, go watch this on the big screen. But even at home, it's very much worth the watch. Definitely recommended!

1 year ago

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)

American superhero film. Watched this yesterday at the cinema. First off, this is very much a movie about Rocket. It also has one of the most evil villains of the whole MCU with the High Evolutionary. I mean even Thanos had a reason behind what he did because he saw what overpopulation did to his planet with limited resources. It's still not a very rational thing to kill half the life in the Universe but at least it comes from a place of compassion. The High Evolutionary is just playing god, experimenting on innocent lifeforms, making them evolve rapidly and if they're not perfect he'll just kill them without any remorse. Going as far as destroying whole planets he populated just because. I don't really wanna spoil anything so I won't go into detail but just know that the movie is definitely very emotional at points and it's a great send-off to the GOTG trilogy. It's quite the spectacle. Definitely try to catch it on the big screen if you can. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

The Trust (2016)

American crime drama / comic thriller film. Very good cast (Nicholas Cage, Elijah Wood, Jerry Lewis, Sky Ferreira and more) in what seems to be an interesting movie. And the idea is there. Two cops investigating a drug invasion stumble upon a mysterious bank vault. Sounds like an interesting movie, especially with that cast. But it doesn't know exactly what it's trying to be. Is it a hard-boiled heist movie or a funny buddy cop comedy? Who knows? So overall I can't really recommend this. Definitely didn't hit my expectations. But if you lower yours maybe it'll still be worth your while.

1 year ago

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Loved it even more than the previous two movies and that set the bar very high.
I must admit I was worried after the Holiday Special but the movie exceeded my highest expectations.
It has everything that most of the MCU movies are missing, and really brings the comics to life at an impossible level of action-fueled mayhem but while retaining the humor and genuine kinship the franchise is known for.
An absolute must-watch on a big screen.

1 year ago

Village of the Damned (1960)

Are you old enough to know the Twilight Zone episode where this boy held a town hostage and kept sending them to the farm by thinking? You're a very bad man! jack-in-a-box'd
Now it is a group of children who steadily get stronger mind control powers and you won't believe what their end goal is. It never explains why it happened, just that entire towns got KOed and then women got pregnant with aliens. Much better done than that Twilight Zone episode.

1 year ago

A Mighty Wind (2003)

American mockumentary comedy film. It's the This Is Spinal Tap (1984) of folk music. In fact, it even reunites a lot of the cast from that movie. The great cast includes Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, Michael McKean, Catherine O’Hara, Harry Shearer, Bob Balaban, Parker Posey, Fred Willard, Jane Lynch, Jennifer Coolidge, Ed Begley Jr. and more! The music isn't really what I'd usually listen to but it's still good enough. So if you liked This Is Spinal Tap (1984), this might just be right up your alley. Definitely recommended.

1 year ago

Red State (2011)

American independent horror thriller film. It's a good movie about some crazy religious fanatics and some other people who get entangled with the whole situation. It's very entertaining and at under 90 minute also the perfect length for what it was. Good cast (John Goodman, Michael Parks, Stephen Root and more). Can recommend.

1 year ago

The Awakening of Motti Wolkenbruch/Wolkenbruchs wunderliche Reise in die Arme einer Schickse (2018)

Swiss comedy-drama film. It's a classic Romeo and Juliet story, but he is Jewish Orthodox and she isn't, she's (as many characters (mainly the main characters mother) are pointing out, a "shiksa". A lot of the comedy comes from those contrasting points of view. The story plays in Switzerland, so most of this movie is in German, or Yiddish because that's what the Jewish families speak. The main character also travels to Tel Aviv at one point so that part of the movie is in Hebrew. Overall a very entertaining 90 minute movie that I can recommend if you're interested in the culture or the language. I certainly found it interesting how much of the Yiddish I could understand as a German.

1 year ago

Dick Tracy (1990)

American action crime comedy film. It's like a caricatured comic book version of a 1930s detective story. Interesting over-the-top characters played by a great cast including Warren Beatty, Al Pacino, Madonna, Dustin Hoffman, Dick Van Dyke, Glenne Headly, Kathy Bates, James Caan, Paul Sorvino, Catherine O’Hara, Mandy Patinkin, Ed O’Ross, Mike Hagerty, Michael J. Pollard, James Tolkan, Seymour Cassel, Colm Meaney, Estelle Parsons, Charles Fleischer, Ian Wolfe and more! That's a whole lot of talent! One reason they all worked on this movie, even in small roles, might be that Warren Beatty wrote and directed this as well as played the main character. Maybe a little favour from them. But yeah, overall it's surprisingly good for what it is. Very stylized and, like I already mentioned, a bit over-the-top but that's what it's supposed to be. It's like right out of a comic book. But live-action. Might make for a great double feature with Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988). I can very much recommend this!

1 year ago

The Lobster (2015)

Well, I can get why this movie is not liked by so many people. I love the technical aspects and all the performances, every character/actor is great in this movie, but I wouldn't watch the whole thing again for the message or the overrall dystopian tale it's telling. Great movie to revisit on Youtube tho, there's a lot great scenes on it.
For me, Colin Farrell blinded himself the moment the screen fades to black and I refuse to accept any other theory, I can only get so much of dystopian people acting like they are devoided of reasonability.

1 year ago*

I agree, it was great, bizarre watch. Loved it, but I dont want to watch it again anytime soon.

1 year ago

The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

American-Japanese computer-animated adventure film. It's definitely good. Now I'm not the biggest Super Mario fan (there are decades worth of Super Mario games I haven't played compared to the few I have) but since the basic idea behind the characters is probably still the same, you don't need to be a big fan of the games to have fun watching this. The animation was really good. I also liked those cinematic arrangements for the game music a lot. The plot might be a bit basic but the action is very good. And the voice acting is great too, especially Jack Black as Bowser. Overall it's an entertaining movie that everyone can enjoy.

1 year ago

Justice League: Throne of Atlantis.

Can't believe I forgot to watch this one a while ago. REALLY good.

1 year ago

Rising High/Betonrausch (2020)

German comedy-drama film. Watched this yesterday. It's about two real estate agents who are making tons of money in a not very legal way. It's all going very well (at least for them) until it starts to crumble. The story is good but it's not paced very well. Stuff is happening too fast. But I guess that's what happens if you're trying to squeeze a story into 90 minutes that would've needed at least 30 minutes more. So overall I don't know if I can really recommend it. It's certainly not bad but also not as good as it wants to be.

1 year ago

The Shop Around the Corner (1940)

American romantic comedy film. I was in the mood for a Jimmy Stewart movie and because I didn't want to watch a Western and I've already seen most of his other most popular movies I decided on this one. It's a simple story about two sales clerks (played by Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan) in a leathergoods shop in Budapest, who can’t stand each other, but unknowingly fall in love as anonymous pen pals. Just a heartwarming little movie that I can definitely recommend!

1 year ago

Vixen

2017 DC animated movie about the character.

REALLY good.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.