Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The Paper Chase (1973)

American comedy-drama film. It's about a first-year law student who has a hard time with his teacher and his new girlfriend, who happens to be the teacher's daughter. I feel like it portrays the law school part very realistically, so overall I can say that it's good.

9 months ago

The Ring (1927)

British silent romance film. It's about a love triangle between a fairground boxer, his wife, and a heavyweight champion who challenges him to a fight. The story is very interesting and the movie is also very good from a technical standpoint. Definitely one of Alfred Hitchcock's greatest silents and on top one of the greatest early boxing movies, too. I can very much recommend this one!

9 months ago

Elemental (2023)

American animated romantic comedy-drama film. It's about a fire girl and a water boy who fall in love in a city where different elements live together. It's a very Romeo and Juliet kinda plot, so nothing new or anything, but it's still well told. And from a technical standpoint it's also very good. Just look at the animation, the fire especially. Overall I think this is a good, entertaining family movie that I can recommend!

9 months ago

Monkeybone (2001)

American black comedy fantasy film. It's about a cartoonist who falls into a coma and has to escape a surreal limbo-like place populated by figments of his own imagination. Very good cast (Brendan Fraser, Whoopi Goldberg, Chris Kattan, Giancarlo Esposito, Bridget Fonda, John Turturro, Rose McGowan, Dave Foley, Bob Odenkirk, Doug Jones, Thomas Haden Church and more). It's directed by Henry Selick (director of stop-motion masterpieces like The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) and Coraline (2009) and also James and the Giant Peach (1996) and Wendell & Wild (2022) who are not quite as great as the other two but still very good and enjoyable movies in their own right) but it combines live-action with stop-motion animation and because it's generally a lot weirder and more surreal than his other movies I can see why it's not as critically acclaimed as his other movies. Sure, Brendan Fraser is fun in everything he's in so this isn't as bad as a lot of people have said it was when it came out but I don't know, I just feel like this could've deserved to be better. Definitely not for kids though, I feel like if I would've watched it when it came out I would've had nightmares afterwards (which, weirdly enough, is a big plot point in this movie) because it's strangely disturbing for what it is. I don't really know who the intended audience was for this movie. So overall I can't really recommend it but it was definitely an experience to watch this.

9 months ago

Jiminy Glick in Lalawood (2004)

American comedy film. It's about a small-time movie critic who is involved in a murder case at the Toronto International Film Festival. Well, a few days ago an article came out about Martin Short not being funny. Which is of course total bullshit. So I decided to watch one of his lesser known movies and it turned out that even in something like this he's hilarious. Martin Short is doing a great David Lynch in this, so you should watch it for that alone. But the cast is also very good, including lots of actors playing themselves, like Kiefer Sutherland, Whoopi Goldberg, Kevin Kline, Steve Martin, Susan Sarandon, Kurt Russell and more. Overall this might not be the best comedy movie you've ever seen but it's still entertaining and fun to watch. Can recommend.

9 months ago

Just binge watched all 6 episodes of Gamera Rebirth.
WOW, that was GOOD! Almost felt like I was watching a remake of the classics, which I loved too.

HIGHLY recommended - 8/10

9 months ago

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)

Canadian-American black comedy horror film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still a ton of fun!

9 months ago

Agreed, one of my favourite horror-comedies. i love Tyduk and Labin(sp).

9 months ago

Miss Congeniality (2000)

American action comedy film. It's about an FBI agent who is asked to go undercover as a Miss United States contestant when a terrorist threatens to bomb the pageant. It's a lot better than I expected. It's very funny, has a great cast (Sandra Bullock, Benjamin Bratt, Heather Burns, William Shatner, Michael Caine, Candice Bergen, Ernie Hudson and more) who are delivering very good performances and is overall just really good. I can definitely recommend this one!

9 months ago*

Miss Congeniality 2: Armed & Fabulous (2005)

American female buddy action comedy film. It's about the same FBI agent from the first movie who teams up with a tough partner to rescue her friends who are kidnapped in Las Vegas by a pair of ransom-seeking brothers. Despite a very good cast (Sandra Bullock, Regina King, Heather Burns, William Shatner, Diedrich Bader, Treat Williams, Ernie Hudson, Nick Offerman and more) this is just not as good as the first one. Don't get me wrong, it's far from bad, but it doesn't come close to Miss Congeniality (2000). So overall, while I can't not recommend it, I'd say it's not really necessary to watch this one if you enjoyed the original.

9 months ago

Brainscan (1994)

American science fiction slasher film. It's about Michael Bowers, a 16 year old fan of horror films, video games and heavy metal, who seeks the next thrill and finds something way worse than he could've ever imagined. The movie is surprisingly good. The story is very interesting and unique, the Trickster is a genuinely cool villain and you won't see the ending coming from a mile away. The cast (Edward Furlong (you might know him as John Connor in Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991), T. Ryder Smith, Frank Langella, Amy Hargreaves and more) deliver very good performances, too. Overall this was a lot more clever than your typical slasher and definitely much more entertaining than I imagined (maybe because I was also a fan of horror films, video games and heavy metal at 16 and still am). I can definitely recommend this one.

9 months ago

The Brothers Bloom (2008)

American caper comedy-drama film. It's about two con men brothers who try to swindle a quirky heiress with a globe-trotting adventure, but one of them ends up falling in love with her. Great cast (Adrien Brody, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel Weisz, Rinko Kikuchi, Robbie Coltrane, Maximilian Schell and more) delivering very good performances. Overall this is a very entertaining movie and I can definitely recommend it.

9 months ago

Saw They Live (1988) in the theater for its 35th anniversary. Still holds up as a great anti-capitalist/anti-commercialization movie with John Carpenter's signature style. My second favourite of his, after The Thing.

9 months ago

Jolt (2021)

American action film. It's about an ex-bouncer with intermittent explosive disorder, who, when she meets an accountant on a blind date, feels like she's getting better, but things are not as they seem when he suddenly gets murdered. Great cast (Kate Beckinsale, Jai Courtney, Laverne Cox, Stanley Tucci, Bobby Cannavale, David Bradley, Susan Sarandon and more) delivering very good performances. And for a straight up action movie this is actually quite decent. Could be better of course, but I can still recommend it.

9 months ago

Barbie (2023)

American fantasy comedy film. It's about Barbie and Ken on a journey of self-discovery following an existential crisis. This movie is actually really good. Great cast (Margot Robbie, Issa Rae, Kate McKinnon, Alexandra Shipp, Emma Mackey, Hari Nef, Dua Lipa, Nicola Coughlan, Ryan Gosling, Simu Liu, Kingsley Ben-Adir, Ncuti Gatwa, John Cena, America Ferrera, Ariana Greenblatt, Michael Cera, Rhea Perlman, Helen Mirren, Will Ferrell, Emerald Fennell, Asim Chaudhry, Rob Brydon and more) delivering very good performances. I couldn't make Barbenheimer a reality for myself but after watching this now (and having seen Oppenheimer at the cinema twice last month) I'm kinda jealous of people who got to experience that double feature. Overall I can definitely recommend this one.

9 months ago

Probably my favourite movie of 2023. Didn't do Barbenheimer but kind of wish I had.

9 months ago

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

Japanese animated fantasy film. It's about two young sisters who befriend a friendly forest spirit and have adventures with him in postwar rural Japan. There's not that much story here, but it's still very good and beautiful to look at. Can definitely recommend.

9 months ago

Robots (2023)

American science fiction romantic comedy film. It's about a womanizer, Charles and a gold digger, Elaine, tricking people into relationships with illegal robot doubles of themselves for, in his case, sex and, in her case, material goods, but when they inevitably meet their robots doubles fall in love with each other. It's suprisingly heartfelt considering the original premise doesn't sound that exciting at first. I can recommend it if you're in for some lighthearted entertainment.

9 months ago

The Fourth Kind (2009)

Don't waste your time. The acting is all hammed up, and it will leave you unsatisfied. I also didn't find it scary at all. And it's very easy to ascertain the "real" footage is fake, and played by actors.

4/10

9 months ago

3 Idiots (2009)

Indian coming-of-age comedy-drama film. It's about the friendship of three students at an Indian engineering college, narrated through two parallel dramas, one in the present and the other set ten years in the past. I gotta say, it's a great movie. It has funny moments, shocking ones, sad ones, everything you want. I'm not surprised that it's now considered to be one of the greatest Indian films ever made. Highly recommended!

9 months ago

Vampire's Kiss (1988)

American black comedy horror film. It's about a literary agent who falls in love with a vampire. This is Nic Cage at his most extreme, overacting more than in every other movie I've seen him in. That does make it quite entertaining, though. Can recommend.

9 months ago

Lifeboat (1944)

American survival drama film. It's about a group of people who are on a lifeboat after their passenger vessel was torpedoed and sunk by a German U-boat. And I don't wanna spoil anything, so I'll just say that there's a lot of stuff happening. Very good cast (Tallulah Bankhead, William Bendix, Walter Slezak, Mary Anderson, John Hodiak, Henry Hull, Heather Angel, Hume Cronyn, Canada Lee and no more, that's the whole cast) delivering great performances. Overall I think this is a great movie, not only because it's a single-location movie (and some of you might know how much I like those), but also because of everything else. Definitely one of Hitchcock's underrated ones, too. Highly recommended!

I also like that the German is played by a German speaking actor (Walter Slezak was Austrian), and not just another English speaking actor who never spoke a word of German in their life. Also, I'm surprised at how well Tallulah Bankhead speaks German in this. But all of this German stuff might be a spoiler, so for that reason I'm putting it in a spoiler tag.

9 months ago*

Forbidden Planet (1956)

American science fiction film. It's about a space crew that investigates a lost colony and discovers a scientist, his daughter, a robot, and a hidden menace. I'm a big fan of 50s sci-fi movies so I have no idea why I hadn't watched this one yet. It's not like I didn't know about it or anything. Well... anyway. It's quite a trailblazer in multiple aspects. It was the first science fiction film to depict humans traveling in a faster-than-light starship of their own creation. It was also the first set entirely on another planet in interstellar space, far away from Earth. Robby the Robot was one of the first robots on film with a distinct personality and who's an integral supporting character. And the movie was the first of any genre to use an entirely electronic musical score. So yeah, quite groundbreaking. The story is very good, too. Overall I think this is a really good movie and I can definitely recommend it!

9 months ago

YAAAS, I love this movie. Such a great classic, it did for movie SF what Star Trek did for tv SF. I need to watch it again!

Also really cool to see Leslie Nielsen in a more serious role before his legendary comedies Airplane and Naked Gun.

9 months ago

Oh yeah, definitely.

9 months ago

Seeing the extended LOTR trilogy tonight, tomorrow night and Sunday night on the big screen. Hyped.

Actual last film I watched was Happy Death Day, yesterday. Really dumb, really fun. Strangely excited to watch the sequel as I didn't expect to like the first one as much as I did.

9 months ago

The LotR SEE on the big screen? I'm SO jealous right now!

9 months ago

Oh man, I only just found out the trilogy was playing at a local independent theater near me and ironically my partner, and some friends and I are continuing our Legacy board game Lord of the Rings:Journeys in Middle-Earth tonight. Then she and I already have plans for tomorrow during the showings and then I work Sunday, though we did just go to see ROtK in the theater for it's 20th anniversary a few months ago.

Enjoy the experience!

9 months ago

ALIENS(1986) Special Edition. (Another reason I love having physical media). Introducing my partner to the whole series since she only saw bits and pieces of it over the years.
Still manages to be one of the best depictions of military SF/horror in the entire genre, and absolutely in my top 10 movies of all time. A must-see for anyone who likes science fiction.

9 months ago

Agreed. Alien and Aliens are top 10 scifi films, and top 10 horror films. Few have mixed both genres so masterfully.

9 months ago

Yeah, the only other one that I rank in there is John Carpenter's The Thing.
Predator's close but I don't consider it horror as much as just pure military SF.

9 months ago

Lawrence Of Arabia, blu-ray remastered restored version. The difference between the DVD and BR release is not only the remaster (8K scan, 4K print), but in spanish, the restored extra scenes are now dubbed instead of subtitled. While dubbing in Spain is usually of high quality, in this case I must say it's somewhat meh, I preferred when the extra scenes were just subtitled, and the BR doesn't have that as option.

I used to watch Lawrence once every summer, in a specially hot day, with cold beverages and fruit. You know what I mean. It has been several years since the last time I've watched it, and it's September, but it's still a damn great masterpiece. It's as historically accurate as Armageddon is scientifically accurate. But nonetheless the film is epic in many ways, specially with the great panoramas, the desert as much as a character as the actors performing (similarly to the sea in The Great Blue), and Maurice Jarre's wonderful, powerful soundtrack.

Also big claps for some of the other actors, specially Omar Shariff and Anthony Quinn.

As T.E. Lawrence's brother said after the premiere of the movie, "it's a great movie, but I didn't see my brother anywhere". Or something similar.

9 months ago

Shortcomings (2023)

American comedy-drama film. It's about a cynical and self-absorbed Asian American guy who struggles with his life, his girlfriend, and his job. Good cast (Justin H. Min, Randall Park (who also directed this), Sherry Cola, Debby Ryan, Stephanie Hsu, Scott Seiss, Jacob Batalon (who even makes jokes about the new Spider-Man movies) and more) delivering very realistic performances. Overall very slice-of-life but still entertaining. Can recommend.

9 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.