Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The Blackening (2022)

American comedy horror film. It's about a group of Black friends who are trapped in a cabin by a vengeful killer and forced to play a twisted game based on their knowledge of Black culture and horror tropes. It's a very entertaining movie, and despite the fact that it could've been a bit more on the horror side I think it was a good movie and I can recommend it.

10 months ago

Yup,the commentary was at times clever and funny and cast are clearly having fun but damn there's like next to no tension for what's also supposed to work as a 'slasher'

10 months ago

Dreamscape (1984)

American dark science-fiction adventure film. It's about a guy with psychic abilities who can sneak into other people's dreams but after some researchers find out that if you die in your dream you die in real life, they try to use that to assassinate the president. Great cast (Dennis Quaid, Kate Capshaw, Christopher Plummer, Max von Sydow, David Patrick Kelly, George Wendt and more). It's very entertaining. Overall it's nothing exceptional (the story is a bit far-fetched, even for a sci-fi movie) but still good enough so I can recommend this.

10 months ago

Another You (1991)

American comedy film. It's about a former criminal who is doing community service and an ex-mental patient who he is supposed to help as part of that community service but people mistake the ex-mental patient for someone else. Very good cast (Gene Wilder, Richard Pryor, Mercedes Ruehl, Stephen Lang and more). Overall I can't figure out why this was a critical and box office failure. I enjoyed it and while it might not be as great as the other movies Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor made together I still though it was good enough for me to recommend it.

10 months ago

Wrongfully Accused (1998)

American-German satirical comedy film. It's about a guy who was wrongfully accused of murder. Very good cast (Leslie Nielsen, Richard Crenna, Kelly LeBrock, Michael York, John Walsh and more). Tons of amazing sight gags and jokes, just like you're used to from a Leslie Nielsen movie. It parodies quite a few movies but you'll just have to find out yourselves which ones. Overall this might not be on par with Leslie Nielsen's greatest work but it's still a ton of fun and there are gags in this that alone are worth watching the whole movie for. Definitely something I can recommend!

10 months ago

Finnish John Wick...,

Excuse me, I meant Sisu

GREAT movie.Can't recommend enough,

10 months ago

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023)

American fantasy heist comedy film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still a ton of fun. Highly recommended!

10 months ago

The Assassination Bureau Limited (1969)

British black comedy adventure film. It's about a female journalist who hires a secret organization of professional assassins to kill its own leader, who accepts the challenge and turns it into a game of cat and mouse across Europe. Great cast (Diana Rigg, Oliver Reed, Telly Savalas, Curd Jürgens and more) delivering very good performances. Very entertaining movie. Overall I can definitely recommend this.

10 months ago

Porco Rosso (1992)

Japanese animated adventure-fantasy film. It's about a former World War I pilot who has been turned into a pig and works as a bounty hunter against air pirates in the Adriatic Sea. I just love how this movie looks. Makes me want to get an old seaplane and fly over the Adriatic Sea myself. But seriously, it kinda makes me nostalgic about a time long before I was born and a place I've never been to. This is truly a special movie. It's a great movie and I can definitely highly recommend it!

10 months ago

The Oblong Box (1969)

British gothic horror film. It's about a disfigured aristocrat who escapes from his brother's attic, joins forces with a grave-robbing doctor, and goes on a killing spree while wearing a red hood. On paper this sound great, especially with a cast including Vincent Price and Christopher Lee, among many others. The movie is suspenseful and we don't see that disfigured face throughout most of the runtime (we're only being told about it, they use phrases like "turned inside-out" which obviously makes your imagination run wild). So the whole movie kinda builds up to that reveal, only for it to be some of the worst horror movie make-up you've ever seen. The budget for this movie was tiny, even for a low-budget B-horror. The director was very young but he still had some horror movie experience. But when he fell ill and died soon after (at only 25) the director that took over didn't really have any horror experience. This movie should've been much better than it turned out to be. So overall, I can't NOT recommend a movie with both Vincent Price and Christopher Lee in it, but don't expect too much from it.

10 months ago*

Past Lives (2023)

American romantic drama film. It's about two childhood friends who contemplate their relationship and their own lives when they reunite 20 years later. So yeah, it's a relatively slow movie with a simple story, but that's what I expected. The performances by Greta Lee and Teo Yoo were great. Overall it's very touching. Can recommend.

10 months ago

Unstoppable (2010)

American disaster action thriller film. It's about a runaway freight train and the two men who attempt to stop it. Based on real events (read up on the CSX 8888 incident if you're interested), but of course embellished a bit. Still, I thought it was very entertaining and had a very good cast (Denzel Washington, Chris Pine, Rosario Dawson, Ethan Suplee, Kevin Dunn and more). Sure, it's kind of an easy watch, not really a movie where you need to think a lot, but for an action movie it's actually quite good. Can recommend.

10 months ago

The Flash (2023)
JUST finished watching this on MAX.

I don't see why people crapped all over this movie. I loved it. Sure there were problems with it but what movie doesn't have any?

Well to me it's a good 8/10

10 months ago

Night of the Creeps (1986)

American science fiction horror comedy film. It's about a college student and his best friend who are ordered to steal a dead body from a cryogenics lab as part of an initiation rite in a local fraternity but the "corpse" is an undead, alien-infected body from the late 1950s and soon more people are being infected. This movie has great effects, the story is very good for what it is. So overall it's better than I expected and I can definitely recommend it!

10 months ago

I can recommend it too. I LOVE that movie.

10 months ago

The Boy And The Beast (2015)
Anime movie, about a Tokyo kid who finds himself as an unwilling disciple of a swordmaster in the paralell realm of beasts. The swordmaster is actually an horrible, buckethead, headstrong and easily angered master. He only takes the kid under his roof because the venerable of his city forces him to have an apprentice.
The story develops in a pretty obvious way but, at the same time, with original detals and storytelling. Some of the characters are pretty flat, but the kid grows and learns and the story turns in unexpected (some not so unexpected) ways, with great moments.
While not a masterpiece, it's a great movie if you like anime, or stories mixing typical master-pupil thingy with drama, action and many funny moments. This movie has a heart in there, despite the deceiving simplicity at the start
8 out of 10, highly recommendable.

10 months ago

Meg 2: The Trench (2023)

American-Chinese science fiction action film. It's about... Megalodons and people. It's just like the first one but even worse. I mean I've just watched it and the only things I can tell you that it's about are Megalodons and people who are trying not to get eaten. It also didn't need to be 2 hours long. Overall I definitely can't recommend this. Just watch the first one if you want to see a Megalodon, that one was at least a bit better.

10 months ago

Well to be fair, the book was pretty long too. and it was good.

I read half the book in the series.

10 months ago

Daybreakers (2009)

Australian-American science-fiction action horror film. It's about a blood scientist in a vampire society in the not so far (not so) future of 2019 who tries to find a substitute for human blood because there are almost no humans left anymore. Great cast (Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, Sam Neill and more) delivering very good performances. Sure, the VFX aren't always excellent (and neither is the logic; you'll see what I mean if you watch this) but overall this is a really good movie. I'm surprised I never knew about it, it's very entertaining. Can definitely recommend!

10 months ago

Johnny Dangerously (1984)

American crime comedy film. It's about an honest, goodhearted man who turns to a life of crime to finance his mother's skyrocketing medical bills and to put his younger brother through law school. Great cast (Michael Keaton, Joe Piscopo, Danny DeVito, Marilu Henner, Maureen Stapleton, Peter Boyle, Griffin Dunne, Dom DeLuise, Ray Walston and more). The theme song is by Weird Al, so it really sets the mood. Very funny spoof of 1930s gangster movies and as a big fan of those I definitely think I "got" this movie more than the general audience did in 1984. I think this was a ton of fun, so I can definitely recommend it!

10 months ago

You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah (2023)

American coming-of-age comedy-drama film. It's about a young Jewish American girl and her upcoming bat mitzvah. So something I, as a 30 year old German atheist guy, can't relate to at all. But sometimes, watching stuff you can't relate to is just as fun as watching something you can relate to. This is a really good movie. Definitely feels like a family project for Adam Sandler. His actual daughters play his character's daughters. His actual wife is playing his character's younger daughter's best friend's mother. And then there are also Idina Menzel, Sarah Sherman, Ido Mosseri (who might look familar to you if you've seen Adam Sandler's You Don't Mess with the Zohan (2008), Jackie Hoffman, Luis Guzmán and more. Overall I definitely think this is one of Adam Sandler's better recent movies and I can highly recommend it!

10 months ago

To Catch a Thief (1955)

American romantic thriller film. It's about a retired burglar who has to save his reformed reputation by catching an impostor preying on wealthy tourists on the French Riviera. Cary Grant and Grace Kelly play great off each other and the supporting cast is very good as well. I've heard some people say that this is a weaker Hitchcock and while I agree that it's not in his top tier, it's still a very good movie in its own right. Definitely recommended!

10 months ago

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988)

American blaxploitation parody film. It's about a black hero wannabe who teams up with former blaxploitation stars to take down a gold chain lord who killed his brother. As a spoof on blaxploitation movies it's actually quite good. Very good cast consisting of Keenen Ivory Wayans, Bernie Casey, Antonio Fargas, Damon Wayans, Steve James, Chris Rock, Jim Brown, Isaac Hayes, John Vernon, Marlon Wayans, Shawn Wayans, Clarence Williams III, Kim Wayans, John Witherspoon, Tony Cox and more, so lots of Wayanses and lots of actors you'll definitely be familiar with if you've seen some blaxploitation movies. Funny gags and story, overall something I can recommend.

9 months ago

Watched this back in a uni film class, I should re-watch it someday.

9 months ago

The Shout (1978)

British horror film. It's about a man who claims he can kill with his voice, and the consequences of his encounter with a couple living in the English countryside. Very weird movie with a very good cast (Alan Bates, John Hurt, Tim Curry and more) playing quite peculiar characters. Overall definitely worth at least one viewing. Can recommend!

9 months ago

The Hundred-Foot Journey (2014)

American comedy-drama film. It's about an Indian chef’s journey from Mumbai to Paris, and his fusion of two cultures and cuisines. Good cast (Helen Mirren, Manish Dayal, Charlotte Le Bon, Om Puri and more) delivering very good performances in this delightful food movie. I like food movies and this one is no exception. It might not be very deep but it's definitely 2 hours well spent. Can recommend!

9 months ago

Yeah, it's a bit saccharine but charming and the cast certainly delivers.

9 months ago

She Said (2022)

American biographical drama film. It's about the New York Times investigation that exposed Harvey Weinstein's history of abuse and sexual misconduct against women. Very good cast (Carey Mulligan, Zoe Kazan, Patricia Clarkson, Andre Braugher, Jennifer Ehle, Samantha Morton and more) delivering great performances. Overall definitely something I can recommend!

9 months ago

Smile (2022)

American psychological supernatural horror film. It's about a therapist who tries to escape a deadly curse that makes her see visions of smiling entities after witnessing the suicide of an infected patient. There are some really good scares in this. Great performances by a good cast (Sosie Bacon, Kyle Gallner, Caitlin Stasey, Jessie Usher, Kal Penn, Judy Reyes, Rob Morgan and more). Overall this one's a lot better than I expected and at times it was genuinely scary, so I can definitely recommend it!

9 months ago

This film was a very plesant surprise. Went with low expectations,came out totally satisfied.

9 months ago

Partner and I both liked this one, and I agree that it was actually chilling for a modern horror movie.

9 months ago

3 Bad Men (1926)

American Western film. It's about three outlaws who are protecting a young woman from a corrupt sheriff and his gang, and help her find love and gold in the Dakota land rush. Good cast (George O'Brien, Olive Borden, Lou Tellegen, Tom Santschi, J. Farrell MacDonald, Frank Campeau, Otis Harlan and more) delivering really good performances. It's genuinely a great Western that felt like it could've been made 30 years later and wouldn't have felt out of place (apart from the silent nature of it of course) but then again it was made by John Ford and he's not considered one of the greatest directors of all time for no reason. There's a scene towards the very end of the movie where tons of wagons and horses (must've been hundreds each) race through a valley that looks suspiciously like the one from Stagecoach (1939), which was also made by John Ford. It's an impressive scene for the time and it's still great to look at. So overall I think this was a great movie and I can definitely highly recommend it!

9 months ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.