Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The In-Laws (1979)

American action comedy film. It's about a dentist who gets entangled in a CIA agent's crazy scheme to stop a global inflation plot on the eve of their children's wedding. Great cast (Alan Arkin, Peter Falk, Richard Libertini, Nancy Dussault, James Hong, Ed Begley Jr., Sergio Calderón, Paul L. Smith and more) delivering very good performances. Especially Arkin and Falk are playing really well off each other.

And with this, my week of Alan Arkin comes to an end. In conclusion, he was brilliant in everything he was in. Such a great, versatile actor who's already dearly missed. And now for something I don't do that often (because I don't watch a lot of them), a series recommendation. Alan Arkin was fantastic in The Kominsky Method (2018–2021) alongside Michael Douglas. It's kind of a more grown-up series (for the lack of a better phrase) so if you're on the younger side you might not find this very engaging. But yeah, I can highly recommend this absolute gem of a series. RIP Alan Arkin

11 months ago

65 (2023)
Wasn't actually all that bad. pretty good.

7/10

11 months ago

Going Clear: Scientology & the Prison of Belief (2015)
A documentary looking at the inner-workings of the "Church" of $cientology.

Made me annoyed how the U.S. allows such an obvious dangerous cult to exist. Tom Cruise will look even more brainwashed and fanatical after watching this.

11 months ago

The In-Laws (2003)

American action comedy film. It's about a podiatrist who gets entangled in a CIA agent's crazy scheme to catch an arms smuggler on the day of their children's wedding. So obviously it's a remake of The In-Laws (1979). But despite a good cast (Michael Douglas, Albert Brooks, Ryan Reynolds, Candice Bergen, David Suchet and more) this is just another one of those early 2000s comedies with nothing that really stands out in the sea of early 2000s comedies. So yeah, unless you really want to watch it because of the cast, I can't recommend this.

11 months ago

Baumbacher Syndrome (2019)

German drama film. It's about a talk show host who wakes up with an unnaturally deep voice and suddenly becomes world famous because of it. This isn't a movie that's laugh out loud funny or full of action, it does have it's smileworthy moments but overall it's mostly a very calming, cathartic experience. Not much happens. It's more something to think about and reflect on. So yeah, overall I think this was great for what it was. Definitely worth watching. Can recommend.

11 months ago

Big Night (1996)

American comedy-drama film. It's about two Italian brothers who run a restaurant in the 1950s and try to save it with a spectacular feast. Great cast (Stanley Tucci, Tony Shalhoub, Isabella Rossellini, Minnie Driver, Ian Holm and more) delivering very good performances in this highly entertaining movie. I can definitely recommend it.

11 months ago

65 (2023)

American science fiction action thriller film. It's about an astronaut (Adam Driver) who crashlands on a mysterious planet after his spaceship is struck by an asteroid and he soon finds out that the planet is full of dinosaurs. So... the movie isn't anything special and it's definitely not very scientifically accurate but if you just wanna watch anything with your brain shut off, this is good for that. Overall I can't recommend it, though.

11 months ago

Grand Piano (2013)

Spanish thriller film. It's about a concert pianist with stage fright who is forced to play flawlessly by a sniper who threatens to kill him and his wife if he makes a mistake. Very captivating story, great performances by a very good cast (Elijah Wood, John Cusack, Alex Winter, Tamsin Egerton and more). It has you on the edge of your seat and before you notice those 90 minutes are over again. And just so you know, despite this being a spanish movie, it's completely in english. Overall I can definitely recommend this one.

11 months ago

Asteroid City (2023)

American comedy-drama film. It's about a play about a writer who travels with his family to a rural stargazing event and has his world view disrupted forever. As with any Wes Anderson movie the cast is outstanding (Scarlett Johansson, Jason Schwartzman, Maya Hawke, Sophia Lillis, Margot Robbie, Tom Hanks, Tony Revolori, Adrien Brody, Rupert Friend, Edward Norton, Bryan Cranston, Steve Carell, Matt Dillon, Jeff Goldblum, Tilda Swinton, Jeffrey Wright, Liev Schreiber, Hong Chau, Willem Dafoe, Steve Park, Bob Balaban and more). So overall this definitely isn't going to be a movie for everyone, it's gotta be very divisive. People said the same about The French Dispatch (2021) but I actually really enjoyed that one. This one's a bit too much style over substance for me. So while I don't think it's bad, I can certainly acknowledge why some people might think it is. It's far from my favourite Wes Anderson movie. Might need a few more viewings to really understand this movie but that's okay.

11 months ago

Central Intelligence (2016)

American buddy action comedy film. Rewatched this yesterday and it was still good.

11 months ago

John Wick 4

11 months ago

Paths of Glory (1957)

American anti-war film. It's about a commanding officer of French soldiers in WWI who refuse to continue a suicidal attack, after which he attempts to defend them against charges of cowardice in a court-martial. I feel like it's kinda regarded as a lesser Kubrick nowadays but I still thought it's a great movie. Highly recommended!

11 months ago

You Can't Cheat an Honest Man (1939)

American comedy film. It's about a dishonest circus owner who tries to sabotage his daughter’s love affair with a ventriloquist, but ends up having to flee from trouble. With this I'm closing another gap in my knowledge. Of course WC Fields is a big name in comedy so you might've thought I already knew all about him but this was actually the first WC Fields movie I've watched. And while it's definitely funny it didn't strike me as quite that outstanding. But then again, it simply might not have been his best movie. I'll definitely watch more of his stuff in the future, though. The movie's good, can recommend!

11 months ago

The Cider House Rules (1999)

American drama film. It's about an orphan who is trained in medicine by a doctor who performs illegal abortions and then falls in love with a woman who is pregnant with another man's baby on an apple farm. Fascinating story and a great cast (Tobey Maguire, Delroy Lindo, Michael Caine, Charlize Theron, Paul Rudd, Kieran Culkin, J. K. Simmons, K. Todd Freeman, Erik Per Sullivan and more) delivering very good performances. Overall I think this is a great movie that I can highly recommend.

11 months ago

Sabotage (1936)

British espionage thriller film. It's about a woman who discovers that her husband is a terrorist plotting to bomb London. It's surprisingly short at only 76 minutes, yet still very suspenseful. Funny thing is, I never notice Hitchcock's cameos in his movies while I'm watching them. Always gotta look them up afterwards. But I guess he intended it that way. Anyway, the movie is great and I can definitely recommend it.

11 months ago

Case 39 (2009)

American supernatural horror film. It's about a social worker who tries to save a girl from her abusive parents, but soon realizes that something is very wrong. Lots of surprisingly good scares, especially those psychological things (you'll know what I mean if you're watching this) but also some cheap jumpscares (aka loud unrelated noises after something relatively calm and quiet happens) earlier in the movie. It definitely gets better in the second half, so do stick around for that. So despite what I thought at the beginning while I was watching this it's actually quite good and I can recommend it.

11 months ago

Death at a Funeral (2010)

American black comedy film. It's about a dysfunctional family dealing with secrets, drugs, and mishaps at their father’s funeral. I've watched the British original from 2007 a few years ago, in 2019. Don't know why I didn't immediately follow it up with this remake like I'd usually do but here we are. This one is also quite funny, with the original being set in a small english village and this remake in a Los Angeles suburb. Great cast (Chris Rock, Peter Dinklage, James Marsden, Danny Glover, Zoe Saldana, Tracy Morgan, Luke Wilson, Regina Hall, Kevin Hart, Keith David, Martin Lawrence and more). (Funfact: Peter Dinklage was also in the original, playing the same character.) So overall I wouldn't watch this one right after the (way better) original, but on its own it's not that bad, so I can still recommend it.

11 months ago*

Going in Style (1979)

American heist comedy film. It's about three bored senior citizens who spice up their lives by pulling off a bank heist. The three main characters are played very convincingly by George Burns, Art Carney and Lee Strasberg. Overall I can say that this is a very good movie that I can definitely recommend.

11 months ago

Going in Style (2017)

American heist comedy-drama film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still good.

11 months ago

They Cloned Tyrone (2023)

American science fiction comedy-mystery film. It's about three people who uncover a government cloning conspiracy in their neighborhood. This feels like an instant classic. Very good cast (John Boyega, Jamie Foxx, Teyonah Parris, Kiefer Sutherland and more) delivering great performances, especially John Boyega. Overall I can definitely highly recommend this!

11 months ago

What's New Pussycat? (1965)

American-French screwball comedy film. It's about a womanizing fashion editor who tries to resist the temptations of various women while his psychoanalyst and his friend complicate his love life. First of all, it's not very good. It barely has a plot at all. A good thing about this is that this is Woody Allen's first movie, so he hasn't developed that nervous, neurotic shtick yet that he uses in everyone of his other movies that I've seen (which frankly is annoying as fuck) so here he's actually not half bad. Peter O'Toole is very good in this but then again he's Peter O'Toole. There are a few funny gags in this movie but overall, like I already said, it's not very good. The best thing about this movie is the theme song that people are probably way more familiar with. After all, it's one of Tom Jones' biggest hits. So you'd be better off listening to the song instead of watching the movie. Can't recommend.

11 months ago

Slash/Back (2022)

Canadian Inuit science fiction film. It's about four Inuit teenage girls who discover and fight a shapeshifting alien invasion in their remote arctic community, using their horror movie knowledge and makeshift weapons. There's some good uncanny valley type horror in this. Good balance between digital and practical effects. It's well paced and entertaining. Overall I definitely enjoyed it. Can recommend!

11 months ago

Turbo (2013)

American animated sports comedy film. It's about a garden snail who dreams of being a racer which turns out to come true after a freak accident gives him super-speed. Very entertaining, good animation, great voice cast (Ryan Reynolds, Paul Giamatti, Snoop Dogg, Samuel L. Jackson, Bill Hader, Maya Rudolph, Luis Guzmán, Ken Jeong, Michelle Rodríguez, Michael Peña, Ben Schwartz, Richard Jenkins, Kurtwood Smith, Paul Dooley, Chris Parnell and more). Overall this movie is a lot of fun and I can definitely recommend it, especially if you got kids (or are one).

11 months ago

Geronimo: An American Legend (1993)

American historical Western film. It's about Apache leader Geronimo and his resistance against the US government. Very good cast (Wes Studi, Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall, Matt Damon, Jason Patric and more) delivering great performances. Overall it's definitely very good for what it is. Can recommend!

11 months ago

The Block Island Sound (2020)

American science fiction horror thriller film. It's about a fisherman who encounters horrors and dark truths when an ominous force off the coast of Block Island begins killing wildlife. Very tense, atmospheric stuff, and the music and cinematography definitely add to that. It's just a good slow burner. So if you like that, I can recommend it. But if you only like fast-paced, action-packed horror, this isn't for you.

11 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.