Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Gerald McBoing-Boing (1950)

American animated short adventure film. It's about a little boy who doesn't talk but can only make sound effect noises. He's a first grader who in the end gets a job at a radio station as a sound effects guy, which is definitely child labour, but those were different times, right? Overall this is quite funny. Oh, and it also won the 1950 Oscar for Best Animated Short and in a 1994 poll of animators, film historians and directors it was rated the ninth greatest cartoon short of all time. So yeah, it's not just some random cartoon. Definitely worth checking out. Can recommend!

1 year ago*

The Man with the Golden Arm (1955)

American drama film. It's about a drug addict who gets clean while in prison, but struggles to stay that way in the outside world. Great cast (Frank Sinatra, Eleanor Parker, Kim Novak, Arnold Stang, Darren McGavin and more) delivering very good performances, especially Sinatra. It was a very controversial movie when it came out because of how openly it treated the then-taboo subject of drug addiction, even showing Sinatra's character go through withdrawal which is hard to look at. Overall this is a really good drama that I can definitely recommend!

1 year ago

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts.

Dude, it... Was... AWESOME!

Practically EVERYTHING a classic G1 and a Beast Wars fan could want in one movie.

8/10

1 year ago

The Suicide Squad
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6334354/

Predictable yet entertaining nonetheless. I still find the licensed "pop" music in these comic films really a bit off/distracting and overused, this film is no exception.

1 year ago

Malum (2023) - One of the best new horror movies I've watched in a long while. I highly recommend it to any horror movie fan out there. The user reviews and score are ridiculous. 8/10

1 year ago

The Rider
One of the better films from Chloé Zhao, who dramatizes real stories and often uses non-actors whose lifes fit these settings.
7/10
Nomadland
Another film from Chloé Zhao. The lives of modern day nomads.
it does feel closer to a complete film. The struggles on the road from people that move between temporary work and seasonal jobs, sparcing the poor life quality with the occasional beatifull landscapes, freedom and sense of community.
it is kinda of a departure in storytelling to Rider. Also Frances McDormand is an actual actress
7/10
Samaritan
It's not just bad...it's pathetic. A vigilante anti hero film turn super hero flick with sylvester stallone. awful cgi, bad acting, bad choreography, weak villain, plot holes, a poorly though out hero, with a rocket powered hammer that apparently other villains could grab and use. The hammer is the real danger.
The forever burning building fight scene was something else, that was some of the most unfitting cgi ive ever seen
0/10
Fear Street: 1994
The first of a netflix trilogy. Soulless homage to 90s horror. it's kinda just Scream, a franchise that still exists.
i like a well placed soundtrack, and songs that sync with the scene. The use of pop music here is equivalent to turning a spotify playlist and hit play 1min of each song. the same scene can go from rock to indie in a minute, firestarter played during the most static cinematography possible.
Also if you are going to use radiohead, might aswell call it Fear Street: 1995 and play something from the Bends XD
What songs do they play on Part 3: 1666?
1/10
Da xiang xidi erzuo
this movie has a cursed aura. We all get to feel miserable in a meticulous way. washed out concrete jungle, performances range from disdain to very distant and cold. misery is the daily routine. the hyperlink stories connect almost by comedic bad luck. not an actual representation of life in china, but rather life in china from someone who also suffers from a serious depression.
7.5/10
Last sentinel
In the future there is only waterworld. 2 small nations might be fighting for land control.
the movie follows a defense unit on a sentinel 3 months late for relief.
I just want to point out, that they use a WWII type structure, that just cant survive 3 months of these incompetent fools. Dudes were expecting to leave but did no work whatsoever, no maintenance ever.
premise ain't bad, cinematography is good, actors are very solid.
unfortunately it's a very slow film that ultimately never really pays off.
could work if they had their priorities. It needed a palpable looming danger, and they had the right device, plus the fear of a potential war. It could have been nature like storms, paranormal, But so much of the film is crew arguments, self sabotage, derelict boats, and other trope things and characters.
A major theme is that humanity is set self-destruction more likely than any natural disaster or doomsday device. I think, the way it was done, self sabotage and paranoia hurt the film more, probably because its not particularly well written or paced. Uneventfull by design.
4/10

1 year ago*

The Woman in Red (1984)

American romantic comedy film. It's about a married man who becomes obsessed with a beautiful woman in a red dress and tries to have an affair with her, but faces hilarious obstacles and consequences along the way. Very good cast (Gene Wilder (who also directed this), Charles Grodin, Judith Ivey, Gilda Radner, Kelly LeBrock and more) delivering very good performances. Overall this is a really funny movie that I can very much recommend.

1 year ago

The Fifth Element (1997)

French science fiction action film. Great cast (Milla Jovovich, Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Chris Rock, Maïwenn, Luke Perry, Brion James, Christopher Fairbank and more). It's a really good Bruce Willis action movie, just set in the future and in space and with lots of aliens. Honestly, it's way better than I thought it would be. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Premium Rush (2012)

American action thriller film. It's about a fearless bike messenger racing against time and a corrupt cop to deliver a ticket that could save a child’s life. Good cast (Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Shannon and more) in a movie that at first looks like it's just an action movie about bike couriers but it's much more. Can recommend.

1 year ago

Brooklyn 45 (2023)

American supernatural thriller film. It's a very fun indie film about a group of military veterans holding a séance just after WWII has ended. Good effects and an interesting story. It's kinda slow-paced but it's never boring. It's set in a single location (and some of you know how much I like that) and it happens in real-time. So yeah, if you want to watch an entertaining 90-minute movie horror movie I can recommend this one.

1 year ago

The Covenant (2023). Some G.I. Joe elements here but overall It's a solid film. Good to see Guy Ritchie doing something outside the "Snatch" baseline.

1 year ago

Troll (2022)

Norwegian monster film. In Norway an ancient troll was awakened and a ragtag group of people must prevent it from wreaking havoc. This movie is definitely more action-focused than the very similar Trollhunter (2010), which is also a Norwegian movie about trolls, but moreso focused on the lore and the mysterious fantasy aspects of it. So yeah, this one wasn't bad but if you want to watch a superior movie about trolls in Norway watch Trollhunter (2010).

1 year ago*

Amazing movie.

1 year ago

Well, I hope you've seen Trollhunter (2010), because that one was even better.

1 year ago

Believe it or not, I didn't like Trollhunter as much.

1 year ago

I'm surprised. But then again, tastes are different and that's good.

1 year ago

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

I'm in a streak of old scifi movies, and lucky me, I have a small anthology of short stories which made its way to the big screen around that time (including "Who Goes There", adapted as The Thing ("free" adaptation in 1951, a more faithful version in 1982, and a prequel in 2011). This helps me in having an extra perspective of these stories adapted into movies, and I've seen all movies from these stories.

Like many of those short stories, the main idea was extracted, twisted, and put back again in the context. What remains is so different to the original material that they could really be two unrelated things, except for the man from outer space and the robot.

Curiously, the result isn't that bad, and has some interesting points. In the end, it reduces to telling us to behave as good kids, or face the consequences; this infantile treatment really works well in the international context, as countries behave as kids in recess - strong ones do what they want, while weak ones try to survive hiding, subsiding to the strong kids as acolytes where they end losing whatever, etc.

The remake (remake of the movie, not of the original material) retains some of the themes, and unlike others, I think it's a more-than-decent movie.

Recommended for old scifi lovers.

ATM watching War Of The Worlds (1953) which while good old scifi, also moves away from the original material too much.

1 year ago*

Haven't watched that one in years! I usually make it a Halloween tradition to watch a few of the movies mentioned in the opening song of The Rocky Horror Picture Show but this one hasn't been on the rotation in a while.
I saw it in a "Double Feature" festival at a cinema in Toronto with my granddad when I was a kid. They also had Forbidden Planet, which was the main feature. It left me very impressed as a kid.
The moral of the story is a bit on the nose but that can be said for most blockbusters these days.

1 year ago

Accidental Spy (2001)

Starring Jackie Chan, this relatively cerebral martial arts film is about a man who, after foiling a bank robbery, finds out that his father is a spy who hid a fortune for him in Istanbul. When he goes there, he stumbles into a plot by terrorists who are making a deadly anthrax strain and must fight his way out of this mess.

1 year ago

Black Snake, la légende du serpent noir/Black Snake: The Legend of Black Snake (2019)

French action comedy film. It's a pretty satirical movie about "the first african and french superhero". In the first hour of this 80 minute movie we see him getting his powers and him beating up a few minor bad guys. And then way too much is happening in the last 20 minutes. Overall it's a bit better than expected but definitely not something I can really recommend.

1 year ago

The Secret of My Success (1987)

American comedy film. It's about a young man (Michael J. Fox) who moves to New York and pretends to be an executive in his uncle (Richard Jordan)’s company, while juggling a romance with a co-worker (Helen Slater) and an affair with his aunt (Margaret Whitton). It's a fun movie, most of which comes from Fox's character who has to juggle so many things at once. It may not be the best 80s movie you've ever seen, but it's undeniably very entertaining. Definitely something I can recommend.

1 year ago

Ökozid (2020)

German comedy drama sci-fi film. It's set in the year 2034 and is a court drama about climate change and 31 countries who are most affected by it at that point who are suing Germany for not doing enough about it back in the day. Interesting topic but the movie turned out pretty dry so I can't really recommend it.

1 year ago

Marathon Man (1976)

American thriller film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still a masterpiece!

1 year ago

The Founder (2016)

American biographical drama film. It's about the early day of McDonald's. Great cast (Michael Keaton, Nick Offerman, John Carroll Lynch, Laura Dern and more) delivering very good performances. Overall if you're interested in the topic this is an entertaining movie. Can recommend.

1 year ago

Gung Ho (1986)

American comedy film. It's about an American employee who tries to bridge the cultural gap between a Japanese car company and the workers of a reopened plant in Pennsylvania. Very good cast (Michael Keaton, Clint Howard, Rance Howard, Mimi Rogers, John Turturro and more) in this entertaining culture clash comedy directed by Ron Howard. Overall I can recommend it.

1 year ago

The Hand (1981)

American psychological horror film. It's about a comic artist who loses his hand in a freak accident, which in turn takes on a murderous life of its own. Starring Michael Caine in the lead role, this movie is actually really good. Which kinda surprised me, given all those low ratings. But yeah, it's very suspenseful, has a creepy atmosphere, overall a movie that I can highly recommend.

1 year ago

Local Hero (1983)

Scottish comedy-drama film. It's about a guy being sent to Scotland to buy up an entire village for an American oil company to build a new refinery there but things don't go as expected. Very good cast (Burt Lancaster, Peter Riegert, Jenny Seagrove, Peter Capaldi, Denis Lawson and more) in an entertaining little movie with lots of subtle humour, so if that's something you appreciate this is a very good movie. Can recommend!

1 year ago

Slumberland (2022)

American fantasy adventure film. It's about a young girl who goes to live with her uncle after her father is lost at sea and enters Slumberland where she befriends a renegade character who is involved in a plot to get to the Sea of Nightmares and obtain a special pearl that may have the power to reunite her with her father. It's a family movie, but a good one. Very imaginative. So I can definitely recommend it, especially if you have kids that are around the age the main character in this movie is.

1 year ago

Saw it with my niece last Christmas and I was very surprised by how good that was. It got panned by the critics and pretty much not hyped at all, which is shocking considering the cast. It was very fun to watch with a kid even though it got a bit scary for her at times but definitely recommended for grown ups who want to get in touch with their inner child.

1 year ago

Lindenberg! Mach dein Ding (2020)

German biographical musical drama film. It's about the life of German rock legend Udo Lindenberg, at least from his childhood until his big breakthrough. I'm not familiar with Jan Bülow, the lead actor who portrayed Lindenberg in this, but he did a great job. Overall this is a very good movie, no matter if you know who Udo Lindenberg is or not. Can recommend!

1 year ago

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse 2023

Just got home from seeing this with my nephew. I really had no interest in it but he wanted to so.....

He loved it. I thought it was an ok movie. I did like some of the cameos from characters I haven't seen in YEARS.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.