Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Mission: Impossible (1996)

American action spy film. It's about an agent who seeks to uncover who framed him for the murders of his team. This is a movie that just doesn't get boring and has you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole duration. Definitely recommended!

7 months ago

Mission: Impossible II (2000)

American-German action spy film. It's about an agent on his search for a genetically modified disease. Different director this time around as this was directed by John Woo and the first one by Brian De Palma. Two great directors, but Woo just does action way different than De Palma. So far I like the story of the first one better, but I can also appreciate this one (and while I'm not the biggest action fan in general, I do like the John Woo action movies I've seen a lot), so I can definitely recommend this one.

7 months ago

Mission: Impossible III (2006)

American action spy film. It's about an agent who is forced to return to active duty to capture an elusive arms dealer. Third movie of the franchise, third director. This time it's J. J. Abrams. Which means the movie feels a lot different again. At this point I think I can say that I probably won't become a fan of these movies but I can definitely appreciate the stunts. This one is probably the weakest MI yet, but if you just want some action, I can recommend it.

7 months ago

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)

American action spy film. It's about an agent and his team trying to clear their names because they've falsely been accused of bombing the Kremlin and their agency has been shut down. I don't know why exactly, but I did enjoy this one. Directed by Brad Bird, so another director again, but somehow he made this movie really entertaining, even for me. Still thought this was a bit too long at over 130 minutes but it was a good movie, so I can recommend it.

7 months ago*

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)

American action spy film. It's about an agent and his team who must fight an international black ops terrorist group of rogue government agents from around the world. Again, too long for my liking. Should be a tight 90 minutes and not 130. But if you like action and cool stunts, I can recommend this movie to you.

7 months ago

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

American action spy film. It's about an agent and his team trying to prevent a nuclear attack by terrorists. This didn't need to be 150 minutes long, but I did enjoy the whodunnit influences where they didn't make it obvious who's on what side. I think this is one of the better movies in the franchise. There were also lots of awesome stunts, so if that's what you're looking for this movie is for you and I can recommend it.

7 months ago

I have had an evenful shitty movie discord night watching these bangers;
Easter Bunny Massacre.
Warbirds.
Don't Fuck in the Woods.
Finding Jesus.
Fungicide.

I will deffo watch Fungicide again, and again, and again, I'm reformed.

7 months ago

Ravenous (1999)

British-American horror comedy Western cannibal film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still great!

7 months ago

The Iron Claw (2023)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KVsaoveTbw

I.S.S. (2024)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BywoLxuBgT0

I recommend both movies.

7 months ago

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One (2023)

American spy action film. It's about an agent and his team facing off against a powerful rogue AI. I think over this week of watching the Mission: Impossible movies I subconsciously lowered my expectations, because I thought this one was actually quite decent. The car chase was a lot of fun, there was a lot of cool action in this movie and the story was kinda interesting, too. But over 160 minutes long. At this rate I'd be surprised if the next one wasn't 3 hours long. But if you're looking for some nice action I can recommend this.

And funnily enough, while the first four movies in this franchise had a different director each, the last three (or four if you already want to include the next one) were all directed by the same director, Christopher McQuarrie. Seems like he does something right with these movies.

So... this movie is nominated for two Oscars, but does it have any chance at winning them? Firstly, it's nominated for Best Sound, but I already feel pretty confident that Oppenheimer (2023) will take that one home. Still have to watch The Zone of Interest (2023) for that category, though. The movie is also nominated for Best Visual Effects. I still have to watch Godzilla Minus One (2023) and Napoleon (2023) for that category, but right now I'd give that Oscar to The Creator (2023). So currently, this movie wouldn't get any Oscars from me, but things can change.

7 months ago

BELLE (2022)

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izIycj3j4Ow

Beautiful movie inspired by "Beauty and the Beast". For me a 10/10 even if the movie leaves some questions unanswered.

7 months ago

Island in Between (2023)

Taiwanese-American documentary short film. It's about the islands of Kinmen and the filmmaker's relationship between Taiwan, China and the United States. It's interesting to learn about Kinmen, which is just 10 kilometers away from mainland China but almost 200 kilometers from the rest of Taiwan. But this is also very personal to the guy who made it.

This is the first docu short I've watched for the Oscars this year, so I can't judge it based on the other nominees, but I thought it was good.

7 months ago

Knight of Fortune (2022)

Danish drama short film. It's about a widower struggling to accept his loss when he meets another guy who lost his wife. Incredibly well acted, very emotional and all in under 30 minutes. Definitely recommended.

This is only my second Best Live Action Short Film nominee but right now I'd go for this one.

7 months ago

WAR IS OVER! Inspired by the Music of John and Yoko (2023)

American animated drama short film. It's about soldiers on opposite sides in an alternate WWI reality playing a game of chess against each other using a pigeon to carry their moves across the battlefield. This is well animated but very cheesy. I can't really recommend it.

This is only my third watch from the Best Animated Short category but right now it's my least favourite. But I have a feeling that this will actually win the Oscar.

7 months ago

Invincible (2022)

Canadian drama short film. It's about a troubled young man who has been incarcerated in a youth detention centre and after spending a weekend with his family on a furlough, he is willing to go to any lengths necessary to avoid having to return to the facility. Another very personal short but I liked this one more. Can recommend!

This is very good, but right now I'm still rooting for Knight of Fortune (2022) for this category.

7 months ago

Letter to a Pig (2022)

French-Israeli animated drama short film. It's about a a Holocaust survivor who reads a letter he wrote to the pig who saved his life to a classroom full of teenagers, while
a young schoolgirl, who's listening to him, sinks into a twisted dream where she confronts questions of collective trauma, memory and identity. The animation is stunning, the story is incredible, too. Highly recommended!

There's only one more to go in Best Animated Short Film but so far I think this should win.

7 months ago*

Red, White and Blue (2023)

American drama short film. It's about a single mother having to travel across the country with her young daughter in search of an abortion clinic. Very well acted and it tells you everything it needs to in roughly 20 minutes. Overall I can highly recommend this.

Still have one more Best Live Action Short Film nominee to go but yeah, this was also great, so for now it's between this and Knight of Fortune (2022) for me.

7 months ago

The After (2023)

British drama short film. It's about a grieving rideshare driver who, after losing family members to a violent crime, picks up a passenger who helps him confront the past. This was... kinda nothing. Can't recommend.

And with this I completed the Best Live Action Short Film category. I'd still say Knight of Fortune (2022) and Red, White and Blue (2023) are my favourites in the category. But they probably just give the Oscar to The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (2023), because Wes Anderson.

7 months ago

Dragon Ball Super Super Hero.

FINALLY got to watch this. It was REALLY good. Always fun to see the rest of the fighters get to shine for a change.

8/10

7 months ago

Nyad (2023)

American biographical sports drama film. It's about Diana Nyad's multiple attempts in the early 2010s to swim from Cuba to Florida. The movie is actually surprisingly engaging for what it is and the performances are great, too. Overall I can recommend it.

Annette Bening and Jodie Foster are nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress for this movie respectively. They did deliver very strong performances, but I gotta a feeling neither of them will win. The competition in both those categories is just way too strong.

7 months ago

Society of the Snow (2023)

Spanish-American survival thriller film. It's about the Uruguayan 1972 Andes flight disaster. Very well done, great performances by a cast comprised almost completely of newcomers, but even if they weren't, you'd probably don't know them because they're all Uruguayan and Argentine actors. Overall I can definitely recommend this movie.

It's nominated for two Oscars, Best International Feature and Best Makeup and Hairstyling. This is the first movie I've seen in the Best International Feature category, but it's already a strong one, and the fourth Best Makeup and Hairstyling nominee, where I also think it has good chances.

7 months ago

Isn't this the plane crash with the we had to do what we had to survive part? I could be more specific but I think I will be spoiling part of the movie if my assumption is correct.

7 months ago

Yes, that one.

7 months ago

One life (with Anthony Hopkins not the animal one).

Based on a true story during world war 2 and refugees. Despite having seen the story being told on YT on one of the history channels I still greatly enjoyed the story being told.

7 months ago

Drive-away Dolls (2024): The solo directorial debut of Ethan Coen was a great watch, with lesbian overtones and several neat twists. Highly recommend a watch.

7 months ago

Strays

7 months ago

The Zone of Interest (2023)

British-Polish-American historical drama film. It's about German Nazi commandant Rudolf Höss, who strives to build a dream life with his wife Hedwig in a new home right next to the German Auschwitz concentration camp. Very contrasting movie. The story is basically just some kind of family movie with the family finding a nice new home and then coming to terms with the husband having to move for work. But in the background there are always loud noises and screams of... well, people being killed. This movie is such a sobering experience. Highly recommended!

So, this is nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best International Feature Film and Best Sound. It's definitely one of the best movies of the year. But whenever a great movie is nominated for both Best Picture and Best International Feature Film chances are high that it'll win the latter category. The Best Director race is still wide open for me. Same with Best Adapted Screenplay. It might win that category, though. It has to win Best Sound, though. Sure, Oppenheimer has very good sound, but I think this will win the category.

7 months ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.