Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Black Christmas (2006)

Canadian-American Christmas slasher film. It's about a group of sorority sisters who are stalked and murdered in their house during a winter storm. The original kept the murders kinda tame and the murderer so secret, that even after the movie is over we're not completely sure who it actually is. In this one the murders are very much front and center and we know who the murderer is from the very beginning. Also, the guy is way too obsessed with people's eyes, especially with tearing them out and and eating them. At least it's not a direct remake of the original, but to be honest, this movie is kinda boring. Can't recommend.

9 months ago

Black Christmas (2019)

American slasher film. It's about a group of sorority sisters as they are preyed upon by an unknown stalker. In this one fraternity boys are killing sorority girls as some part of supernatural initiation ritual. It's not very good but it's also not as bad I expected. But it's definitely not deserving of the name Black Christmas, just because it's also about a sorority. So overall, the original is still by far the best. Not very surprising. Can't really recommend this one either.

9 months ago

Just saw REBEL MOON PART 1. Its amazing 9/10. Plot is a bit weak but overall it was good.

9 months ago

Lord of War (2005)

American crime drama film. It's about a guy called Yuri Orlov (partially based on real life Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout) as he enters the illegal arms trade, eventually becoming a well known and unscrupulous gun runner. Nicolas Cage is very good in this, so are Jared Leto, Ethan Hawke, Bridget Moynahan, Eamonn Walker, Ian Holm and the rest of the supporting cast. Very interesting movie. I remember seeing the poster at the cinema when it came out and I always thought it was a very cool one, but somehow I hadn't watched the movie until now. Well, now I have and I can recommend it.

9 months ago

Westworld(1973)

Pretty damn entertaining. A huge chunk of this movie played out like straight comedy to me.

9 months ago

Happy cakeday!

9 months ago

Thanks

9 months ago

Blade (1998)

American superhero film. It's about a vampire hunter, who himself is a human-vampire hybrid. Great cast (Wesley Snipes, Kris Kristofferson, Stephen Dorff, Udo Kier, Traci Lords and more) delivering very good performances. I was too young when this came out but my dad always loved this one and the sequels. Sure, the CGI hasn't aged well for the most part. I can specifically think of an example of some underlings being blown up as a reaction to some serum and it's done in CGI and looks horrible but at the end of the movie the main antagonist is being blown up the same way but it's done practically with makeup and latex suits, morphing from one to the next, more extreme one, and it looks amazing. Of course you can spend more money on the main bad guy in the movie than on someone who's in a single, short scene and doesn't even have a speaking role, but still... the dissonance is baffling. If you can overlook the weird CGI and focus on the rest of the movie you'll have a great time, though. The action definitely has aged well and Blade himself is just a cool character, not to mention the setting and the underlying story. So I can definitely recommend this one, if only to see Wesley Snipes being cool as fuck.

9 months ago

Last movie I saw in theaters was Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker sometime between 29-31 December 2019. The last movie I saw overall was All Quiet on the Western Front (2022) in October of this year.

9 months ago

Rebel Moon.

What a total dud. I wasn't expecting much since Zack Snyder and the reviews weren't encouraging, and I still managed to be disappointed.
It takes a certain kind of filmmaker to manage to "reinvent" Star Wars and actually make it even more simplistic, but calling it "more mature".
I guess slo-mo matures things. Like cheese. Makes it stinkier.

9 months ago

Blade II (2002)

American superhero film. It's about human-vampire hybrid Blade in his continuing effort to protect humans from vampires, finding himself in a fierce battle against a group of mutant vampires who seek to commit global genocide of both vampire and human races. Again a great cast (Wesley Snipes, Norman Reedus, Kris Kristofferson, Donnie Yen, Ron Perlman, Thomas Kretschmann, Matt Schulze, Tony Curran and more) delivering very good performances. It has a lot less of that weird CGI the first movie had. Of course, from 1998 to 2002 computer-generated visual effects took an exponential step up in quality but it's still nice to see. They did also use a lot of practical effects again. The characters are interesting, the story as well and Blade himself is still just a very cool character. It's also directed by Guillermo del Toro! Overall I think I even like this one a bit more than the original. Can recommend!

9 months ago

Blade: Trinity (2004)

American superhero film. It's about Blade teaming up with a band of rogue vampire hunters to save humanity from Dracula. Great cast again (Wesley Snipes, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Biel, Parker Posey, Dominic Purcell, Kris Kristofferson, Triple H, Natasha Lyonne, Patton Oswalt and more) but the performances aren't that good. Especially Ryan Reynolds who's playing... Ryan Reynolds. You know exactly what I mean. One thing I like aboutthis movie is how it's expanding the lore and bringing in new (old) characters like Dracula or Hannibal King, who has been a character in the Blade comics from very early on. I'd actually like seeing him in the upcoming Blade reboot (whenever that'll come out), no matter who'd play him. About this movie... it's definitely worst of the trilogy. But if you've already seen the other two you can't skip this one. Or maybe you can. I couldn't. But yeah, I can't recommend this one, sadly. Wish I could.

9 months ago

The Pope's Exorcist (2023)

American supernatural horror film. It's about Father Gabriele Amorth, the Pope's personal exorcist, doing some exorcisms. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still good.

9 months ago

Bullitt (1968)

American neo-noir action thriller film. It’s about a San Francisco cop who tries to find the killers of a witness he was supposed to protect, and uncovers a web of deception and corruption. I thought this would be way more focused on the car, but to my surprise it wasn't. True, there is a great 10 minute car chase in this movie but outside of that it's a very tight thriller (even at almost 2 hours long) where the main character just happens to drive a cool car. Great cast (Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, Jacqueline Bisset, Norman Fell, Robert Duvall and more) delivering great performances. Overall I can definitely recommend this!

9 months ago

Same as I did a year ago, here's the list of all 429 movies I watched in 2023. Have fun comparing, exploring or just browsing.
https://www.listchallenges.com/every-movie-ive-seen-in-2023-by-currykingwurst

9 months ago

Carry On Sergeant (1958)

British comedy film. It’s about a retiring sergeant who tries to train a group of clumsy recruits for a prize competition in the National Service. So I decided to watch all the Carry On movies this January. This was the first one. There are a lot of actors in this who went on to be in more of the Carry On movies, I've read. Right now I'm not familiar with most of them, but that is definitely going to change over the course of this month. So for right now I can only highlight William Hartnell, Kenneth Williams and Shirley Eaton, while the rest of the cast is also good. Overall this is just a fun military comedy from the 50s with a story that's not that uncommon in this kind of movie (incapable recruits who turn into very capable recruits) but it's well done for what it is, so I can recommend it.

9 months ago*

Carry On Nurse (1959)

British comedy film. It’s about a group of patients and nurses who get into various comedic situations in a hospital ward. Unsurprisingly, it has a very similar style of comedy as the first one, with four of the actors returning (Kenneth Williams, Kenneth Connor, Charles Hawtrey, and Hattie Jacques). I can see why they made this. If you liked the first one, this one's just as good. Can recommend.

9 months ago*

Carry On Teacher (1959)

British comedy film. It’s about a group of students who try to sabotage their beloved headmaster’s chances of getting a new job by making the school look bad in front of two inspectors. Again, similar style as the previous Carry On movies. It's a bit more relatable, too. Not everyone has been in the military or a hospital, but (almost) everyone has been in school at some point. Lots of the same actors, some new ones, too. (I think I won't talk about any new or old actors from now on unless some big name comes along.) I don't know if this is a popular opinion or an unpopular one, but for me this one's the best so far. Can recommend!

9 months ago*

Carry On Constable (1960)

British comedy film. It’s about a bunch of inept and clumsy police officers who face various troubles and mishaps on their patrols. This is the last Carry On movie with Leslie Phillips (who was pretty good in these first four) until the very last one from 1992. Shame, I think I'll miss him. Overall, again a good comedy that I can very much recommend.

9 months ago*

Carry On Regardless (1961)

British comedy film. It’s about a group of inept people who join a job agency and get into various troubles while doing odd jobs for their clients. Again, a good comedy. There was a scene with a German speaking woman who was arguing with her husband and Kenneth Williams' multilingual character was translating and getting really emotionally into it, which was quite funny. Overall I can recommend this one, too.

9 months ago

Watcher 7/10

I'm really not someone who finds much to enjoy about horror movies but all the more I must respect Maika Monroe.
First It Follows, then Tau and now Watcher. Each of them is simply good. And considering how their plots aren't anything spectacularly innovative, it must be her that makes such a huge difference.

9 months ago

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022)

Creative and hilarious movie, Michelle Yeoh keeps it altogether pretty well and in the beginning you really need a moment to notice Jamie Lee Curtis.
Everything Everywhere All At Once rock scene 1

9 months ago

Tee Yod/ Death Whisperer.
(Tee Yod is a chanting voice that the ghost/demon make to lure people out of there home and eat)
It's a horror Thai movie that got inspired by "Evil Dead", with spectacular "makeup" of the ghost.
Story is a bit confused, also lots of cheap jump scare.
If you're familiar with Asian culture, this is a movie for you.
I can't find it on any platform but here's a trailer. I watched it from the cinema
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu-Yb5aPH8k&t=27s

8 months ago

Carry On Cruising (1962)

British comedy film. It's about a bunch of incompetent seamen. (I think I'll keep it this short for all future Carry On movies, because they're all getting into some kind of trouble or misadventure or whatever.) This is notably the first one in the series to be filmed in colour. Esma Cannon's Bridget Madderley was definitely something of a stand-out. There was a joke in this movie that I'm surprised I haven't heard before. It's when her character introduces herself to another one of the main characters, Florence Castle (played by Dilys Laye) and it goes like this:

"Call me Bridget."
"Florence."
"No, Bridget!"

It's quite a simple one but pretty funny, especially with her posh delivery. That's why I'm all the more surprised that I haven't seen it in any other, later comedies (of any language, really). But yeah, overall this is again a good comedy and I can recommend it.

8 months ago*

At Eternity's Gate (2018)

French-British-American biographical drama film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's till very good.

8 months ago

Carry On Cabby (1963)

British comedy film. It’s about a taxi company owner who neglects his wife and faces competition from a rival firm of glamorous female drivers. Lots of things are kinda off with this one. The old (by now very familiar) theme music is gone, it's back in black and white when the previous one was already in colour, Kenneth Williams is missing from this entry, which is a rare occurence because he appeared in 26 of the 31 movies. It also introduced a new face, Jim Dale, who's now the last surviving big-name Carry On star. But it doesn't really feel like a Carry On movie, which might be because it wasn't originally planned as one. Overall I still think it's a good comedy but not a good Carry On movie. Still, can recommend.

8 months ago*

Thirteen Lives (2022) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12262116/

Amazing movie from a real story. The movie has anxious scenes but it's still great to watch, very well done!

8 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.