Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Ödipussi (1988)

German comedy film. It's about a middle-aged furniture salesman who lives with his overbearing mother and falls in love with a psychologist who tries to help him overcome his Oedipus complex. Written and directed by, and starring the legendary German comedian, humorist, cartoonist, film director, actor and writer Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot, who would've turned 100 today. Every German has heard of Loriot, although he's definitely more known for his cartoons and sketches and less for his movies. He was so iconic some of his phrases have made it into everyday speech here in Germany. Loriot's comedy was mostly ironic, absurd and satirical. He used humour as a way of exploring and criticizing the human condition and the social and cultural norms of his time. So yeah, a true legend. He made two movies. This one and Pappa ante portas (1991). I think I'll watch that other one soon. If you like dry, borderline surreal humour I can definitely recommend all of his work and, by extension, this movie.

10 months ago

Luther: The Fallen Sun (2023)

British-American crime thriller film. It's about the detective's efforts to stop a wealthy serial killer's complex schemes. For some kind of reason (licensing issues I guess) Netflix recently had to remove the British psychological crime thriller television series Luther (at least here in Germany, I don't know about anywhere else) so I quickly had to catch up with what I still had to watch (which turned out to only be the 5th season). But that kinda got me back into the Luther spirit so I decided to finally watch the movie today, too. And it definitely scratched that itch. But it wasn't nearly as great as the series was. So here goes something you don't see very often from me. A series recommendation. Luther (2010-2019) was a great show. If you've watched it and you're looking for more Luther I can recommend this movie. On its own I don't think the movie is that good, though. It probably would've been better as another season.

10 months ago

The Artifice Girl

A super indie movie about AI, yes another AI movie, but that delves deeper into the topic than most recent efforts.
Warning: there is special effect in this one, it's that kind of scifi, but there's enough to sink your teeth into if you're interested in the topic.
There is a lot of dialog so don't count on watching while you multi-task but it's a good watch although the third act kinda feels like a conversation with ChatGPT and the writing drops the ball a little at the crucial part.

10 months ago

Osmosis Jones (2001)

American live-action/animated action comedy film. It's about an anthropomorphic white blood cell, as he teams up with a cold pill to protect his unhealthy human host from a villainous virus. Very good cast, both for the live-action part (Bill Murray, Molly Shannon, Chris Elliott and more) and the animated part (Chris Rock, Laurence Fishburne, William Shatner, Ron Howard and more). Very interesting story, too. It kinda feels like two different movies made into one (which it basically is) so it's not as good as it maybe could've been but it's till entertaining. I do remember seeing stuff about the movie when it came out but it wasn't marketed nearly as much as other animated movies around that time. Not sure if I would've liked this more or less if I watched it as a kid back then. Overall I can recommend it, though.

10 months ago

The Death of Dick Long (2019)

American black comedy-drama film. It's about two friends who try to cover up the bizarre circumstances of their friend’s death after a wild night of drinking and mischief. It's a weird one, but then again, the director also (co-)directed Swiss Army Man (2016) and Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) and those are both weird movies in their own right. It may be a bit gross for some people, but at least it's very original. Definitely one of those slice-of-life movies, even if the events are very unusual, to say the least. So overall I think I can recommend it. But it's definitely not for everyone.

10 months ago

True Grit (2010)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/reference/

In rare cases one has to admit that he likes the remake more than the original. For me, this is one of these cases. Having seen the one with John Wayne several times, this one struck me in a way that both surprised and impressed me. Not sure if it's a remake, or this one is more true to the original material.

Haylee Steinfeld, despite being third billed, is the true force that drives this spectacle. This is probably the best role I've seen the young actress doing, I hope her career now is still going upwards. In this role, she's really astounding. Specially in the last part, when her apparently strong but flat character acquires new depths.

The Coen brothers always find new ways to awe me, and they reunited a quite eclectic cast to accompany the young daughter searching to avenge his father's death. Jeff Bridges is inmense as Cogburn, showing a lot of his camaleonic faces in one single movie. Don't miss him in a modernized western called Hell Or High Water (2016), btw.

Matt Damon as LeBoeuf is more discreet, but does his job as usual. For the bad guys you have a couple surprises that don't even look as themselves. Every role here is great, I must say, with good performers and the Coen brothers getting great performances from them, even if it's only for one scene.

All in all, I really have to say that this movie is superior to the original in so many ways - tho as always, it's just my opinion. Also, this movie made me want to read the original novel, tho I think I'll never do, as it seems it hasn't been edited here, and I'm lazy to read it in english.

To make it short: a remake very worth watching and rewatching.

10 months ago

Castle in the Sky (1986)

Japanese animated fantasy adventure film. It's about two children who search for a legendary floating island while being pursued by pirates, the military and a secret agent who wants to use its ancient technology for evil purposes. Great movie. The story is very captivating, the animation is outstanding, the whole atmosphere is just incredible. If you haven't seen this one yet, you definitely should!

10 months ago

V for Vendetta (2005)

British-German-American dystopian political action film. It's about a masked vigilante’s fight against a totalitarian regime in a dystopian Britain, and his influence on a young woman who joins his cause. Remember, remember the... 17th of November? I might be a bit late on this one. This is one of those movies where I was always so sure that I've already watched it back in the day. But this 5th of November I've seen multiple things from/about this movie and nothing looked familiar. I guess I hadn't actually watched it, so I put it on my watchlist to watch as soon as possible. And that day was today. So... it's a very good movie but what's there to say that hasn't already been said? Great acting by an awesome cast, good action. This very good movie definitely had me on the edge of my seat. So overall I can recommend it!

Turns out I watched this almost on the 70th birthday of the great Alan Moore, who wrote the graphic novel this is based on, because it's his birthday tomorrow. But then again, like with so many film adaptions of his work, he didn't like this one.

10 months ago

Yeah. Didn't understand why though. This was a great fucking movie. And Agent Smith was absolutely fabulous as V.

10 months ago

Well, I bet he's just very protective of his own work. It's kinda understandable, but just because he doesn't like it doesn't mean it's bad or anything.

10 months ago

Moore is an anarchist. He opposes capitalism by default so of course, he would be weary of any attempt by "Hollywood" to make a shit ton of money off his work.
I'm sure he doesn't mind the royalties but then maybe he gives them to charity or something, I don't know.
Personally I loved the movie and I didn't find it to be outlandishly far from the original material, which is rare in that kind of adaptation.

10 months ago

Gran Turismo (2023)

American biographical sports drama film. It's about a teenage Gran Turismo player who becomes a professional racing car driver. Very entertaining, those 134 minutes definitely flew by. It's also a true story, with the actual guy being very involved in the making of the movie, as co-producer, stunt driver and consultant. Overall if you're interested in the matter and you're looking for some light entertainment with a very good cast (Archie Madekwe, Orlando Bloom, David Harbour, Djimon Hounsou, Geri Halliwell and more) this is definitely worth watching. Can recommend!

10 months ago

Marketa Lazarová (1967)
The most famous Czech new wave film I never heard of before now. It's a 3 hour epic about two feuding clans in 13th century medieval eastern Europe (Bohemia probably). The plot, such as it is, is difficult to follow and required a little rewinding for me. The characters are not easy to like - in fact, these grubby bastards (actually what passes for noblemen at the time) live in compounds comprised of a collection of dirty hovels and seem to spend most of their time robbing and killing travelers on the main road through their turf when they are not trying to kill each other over the spoils. But I don't think that's the point. What is, is the way this movie drags you into this past world where Christianity and paganism are at also at war and brutality reigns supreme, and it doesn't let go - it's incredibly authentic and immersive. The widescreen cinematography and bizarre sound design are really something to see and hear - at times bordering on hallucinogenic - but in a good way. Pretty sure if you are a Tarkovsky fan, you will love this as much as I did.

10 months ago

Now that sounds interesting. On the list it goes!

10 months ago

Malignant (2021)

American horror film. It's about a woman who begins to have visions of people being murdered, only to realize the events are happening in real life. Rewatched this yesterday. Still very enjoyable. Can recommend!

10 months ago

A Patch of Blue (1965)

American drama film. It's about the friendship and love that develops between a blind, white, uneducated girl and a black, educated, kind man in a racially divided America. Great cast (Sidney Poitier, Elizabeth Hartman, Shelley Winters, Ivan Dixon, Wallace Ford and more) who all deliver outstanding performances. Overall this is a great movie that's definitely still kinda topical almost 60 years later. Highly recommended!

10 months ago

Star Wars: Andor. Probably one of the best series made by Disney, specially episode 6 which feels like a James Bond film for moments.
It has that old school feeling that made Star Wars Rogue One Special.
Next season until August 2024.

10 months ago

LOKI (TV series, 2nd season)
Finished it yesterday. Many people have said it was SO MUCH BETTER than the first one.
Well, they were right, kinda...'cause even though it has a better, intriguing ending and more interesting moments overal, it has the same problems as the original season (to much dialogues, scenes are too long obviously for the sace of an episode lenght), glaring plot hole included.
So if you liked the first one you'll like this one too^^

10 months ago

Gemini Man (2019)

American science fiction action thriller film. It's about a retiring sniper who is targeted by a younger clone of himself while on the run from a corrupt private military company. Very much style over substance. Famously released in 120 fps and having fancy visual effects, but the story is kinda lackluster. The cast is very good (Will Smith, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, Benedict Wong and more) but even they couldn't save this movie. And it's two hours long? This would still be too long if it was a 15 minute short film on YouTube. I could recommend it if you wanna have something running for 2 hours in the background while doing something else but apart from that I can't.

10 months ago

Oppenheimer

10 months ago

Pappa ante Portas (1991)

German comedy film. It’s about a retired manager who tries to help his wife with the household chores, but only causes more trouble and chaos. I've watched Loriot's only other movie, Ödipussi (1988), about a week ago and thought it was really good. This one was even better. Defintily recommended!

10 months ago

Mad to Be Normal (2017)

British drama film. It’s about Scottish psychiatrist R. D. Laing who, during the 1960s and 1970s, performed various experiments on people diagnosed as mentally disturbed. Very good cast (David Tennant, Elisabeth Moss, Michael Gambon, Gabriel Byrne and more) delivering great performances. It's a very interesting character study of someone I didn't know before. But now I definitely want to learn more about R. D. Laing. Overall I can recommend this one.

10 months ago

The Enchanted Well (1903)

French short fantasy drama silent film. It's about a witch that is denied a handout and then casts a spell on the town's well. Just a classic Georges Méliès. Always fun for what they are. Can recommend!

10 months ago

3 Iron 2004

What a movie, mildly weird but worthwhile watch. Go in Blank!🖤

You will be looking for this song after the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EokOPbZ-00

10 months ago*

Kim Ki-duk never an easy watch in my experience - though I haven't seen this one yet - but have seen The Bow,Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring and Samaritan Girl which were all pretty abstract....
Natacha Atlas is just terrific. Thanks for the link - here's an old one that I love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkM2HDzGknk&ab_channel=steelyman08

10 months ago*

Rustin (2023)

American biographical drama film. It's about civil rights activist Bayard Rustin and organizing the March on Washington in 1963. This is undoubtedly Colman Domingo's best performance yet. He will definitely be nominated for an Oscar for Best Lead Actor for this. If not it would be a huge snub. Apart from a top tier Colman Domingo we also got Chris Rock as Roy Wilkins in this (I think it's great to see him in more serious movies, although I'm also a fan of his comedy work). Jeffrey Wright only appears in a few scenes as Adam Clayton Powell Jr. but he steals the scene every time. We also got Glynn Turman as A. Philip Randolph, Audra McDonald as Ella Baker, Aml Ameen as Martin Luther King Jr., CCH Pounder as Dr. Anna Hedgeman, Da'Vine Joy Randolph as Mahalia Jackson and many more. So, for a movie full of talent, about an important event some of you maybe haven't heard about, I can definitely recommend this!

10 months ago

Terrifier (2016)

A slasher horror film. If you're into gore and I mean REALLY into gore this is for you, since it's essentially the only thing in this movie.
Art The Clown has a really cool design, but there isn't really much of a plot going other than he kills people.
Not for me, but if you like mindless horror definitely give it a watch.

10 months ago

The sequel tried adding an actual story but it's kinda worse for it IMO lol.

10 months ago

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One (2023)
Never been a big fan of this franchise, but given my low expectations and the current sorry state of the blockbuster movie in general (Disney) I was pleasantly surprised to be entertained and not at all irritated as all the standard tropes were checked off. The lack of character development or actual plot never really upsets me as it does some fans of these movies, because I just don't expect them. Apparently people weren't impressed by the villian either - but I'm guessing they hadn't seen Ozark.

10 months ago

I saw The Marvels. It was ok, like not as bad as people claim it to be- but also, I wouldnt rewatch it in at least 5 years. It had some funny moments.

10 months ago

Feels like it's cool to sh*t on every Marvel movie now for some reason. Of course it goes double for this one because, you know... girls.

10 months ago

I can still enjoy a good marvel movie, but this was just an ok movie tho. Im not saying it's bad or trash, im saying it's passable

10 months ago

I have been reading comic books for over 40 years and I can tell you one thing: there's never been one good Marvel movie. They're just passable mish-mash of superior plots and characters from the comics.

10 months ago

Once Upon a Studio (2023)

American live-action/animated fantasy comedy crossover short film. It's about Walt Disney Animation Studios turning 100 years old and various animated Disney characters come to life from pictures hanging on the walls of the Roy E. Disney Animation Building following the end of a usual work day. And when I say "various", I mean that it includes characters from almost all of the studio's works made up to that point, including all sixty-two feature films, numerous short films, and some live-action Disney films featuring animation produced by the studio. So you might describe it as a bit of a love letter to Walt Disney Animation Studios. And despite Disney maybe not being as well regarded nowadays (for various reasons) you can't help but feel nostalgic when looking back at a century of animation and characters that shaped childrens' lives over the last 100 years. Can recommend!

10 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.