Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Prisoners (2013)

American thriller film. It's about the abduction of two young girls and the search for the perpetrator. Great cast (Jake Gyllenhaal, Hugh Jackman, Paul Dano, David Dastmalchian, Melissa Leo, Maria Bello, Dylan Minnette, Viola Davis, Terrence Howard and more) delivering outstanding performances. This is a 150 minute movie, but it never got boring. Lots of suspense. Overall I think this is a great movie and I can highly recommend it.

9 months ago

Mystic River (2003)

American neo-noir crime drama film. It's about three childhood friends whose lives are shattered when the daugther of one of them is murdered. Great cast (Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon, Laurence Fishburne, Spencer Treat Clark and more) delivering great performances. Another very captivating movie. Overall I can definitely recommend this one!

8 months ago

Last Man Standing (1996)

A drifting gunslinger-for-hire finds himself in the middle of an ongoing war between the Irish and Italian mafia in a Prohibition era ghost town.

Bruce Willis stars as the gunslinger-for-hire, Christopher Walken plays the dreaded Irish mafia enforcer Hickey. Great action, great sound track, great atmosphere.

During the opening credits I thought I saw the name "Akira Kurosawa", but I didn't pay much attention. It took me a few minutes into the film to realize that this was actually a remake of Yujimbo (1961), but as a mafia film-noir replete with weary voice over narration by the protagonist. It mostly works. Recommended.

8 months ago

What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)

American coming-of-age drama film. It's about a young man in a small town who cares for his family and longs for a better life. Very slice-of-life. Great cast (Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, Juliette Lewis, Mary Steenburgen, John C. Reilly, Crispin Glover and more) delivering stunning performances. I wonder, if DiCaprio would've won the Oscar for this, how that would've affected the rest of his career. Who knows? If the movie would've come a year earlier or later he could've won it, but like this the competition was so good that he probably wasn't even the runner-up. Overall it's a great movie and I can definitely recommend it!

8 months ago

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983)

British-Japanese war film. It's about the hidden affection and the moral dilemma between a British prisoner of war and a Japanese camp commander in a World War II prison camp. Great cast (Ryūichi Sakamoto (who also composed the soundtrack for this movie), David Bowie, Tom Conti (who some of you might know as Albert Einstein in Oppenheimer (2023)), Takeshi Kitano and more) delivering outstanding performances. Overall a great movie with an amazing soundtrack. Highly recommended!

8 months ago

Night Moves (1975)

I have no idea how I've stumbled upon this movie. It's a decent detective story with chill yet captivating 70s atmosphere, but what's more important is that it turned out to be an accidental Disco Elysium adaption: the main character's appearance, clothes, relationships, acting, attitude - all of his personality screams Harry Du Bois. That's why I couldn't get rid of thinking of it as an alternate DE story, and it's beautiful.

8 months ago

The Meg 2: The Trench.

Not too bad. More action than the first and they left it open at the end for the third to be made.

I did read the first three books as well so....

Solid 6/10

8 months ago

Mean Streets (1973)

American crime film. It's about a troubled gangster who struggles to reconcile his friendship, his romance, and his career in the criminal underworld. Great cast (Robert De Niro, Harvey Keitel, Amy Robinson, David Proval and more) delivering very good performances. Really good story and pretty influential movie, considering this was the first time Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro worked together; and also Scorsese's first movie to receive both critical and commercial acclaim. It may not be as great of some of his other gangster movies, but it's definitely well worth checking out! Can recommend.

8 months ago

8½ (1963)

Italian avant-garde surrealist comedy-drama film. It's about a famous director who suffers from writers block while trying to make his new science fiction film. Very good cast (Marcello Mastroianni, Claudia Cardinale, Anouk Aimée, Sandra Milo, Barbara Steele and more) delivering really good performances. Overall this might not be Fellini's best, but it's definitely great for what it is. Still, because of its surrealist nature I can't recommend it for everyone.

8 months ago*

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (1953)

French comedy film. It's about the clumsy but charming Monsieur Hulot causing chaos and trouble during his vacation at a seaside resort. I've seen some of Tati's other Monsieur Hulot movies so I can say that in this one the character doesn't feel quite fleshed out yet. So yeah, definitely not my favourite Tati but still well worth checking out, if only to see where such an iconic French character comes from. Can recommend.

8 months ago

Reptile (2023) and The Wonderful Life of Henry Sugar almost back to back.

The former is a tense detective mystery about a murder and the secrets it hides. Honestly, nothing groundbreaking in both its plot or execution but a solid movie if you enjoy films of these kind and even if you do not, worth seeing for Benicio Del Toro's performance.

The latter is a short film by Wes Anderson, shot very much in his traditional palette with a minimal cast. It's a feel good film and something I really enjoyed watching - maybe because I watched it immediately after the former but who really knows. Almost the entirety of its dialogue is done as narration but it doesn't feel like a gimmick for gimmick's sake. Would definitely recommend.

8 months ago*

You should really watch the other recent Wes Anderson short films, too. Not just Henry Sugar.

8 months ago

I just realized that there were multiple short movies released. Only caught the Henry Sugar trailer before and so missed the rest.

8 months ago

Yeah, Netflix only really marketed Henry Sugar, but indeed released those 4 movies as a collection. Or so they said. When I watched them I had to manually look up the others when they should've been recommended to me.

8 months ago

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

American psychological thriller film. It's about a teenage girl who finds out that her beloved uncle isn't quite the charming man she believes him to be. Great cast (Teresa Wright, Joseph Cotten, Hume Cronyn, Henry Travers, Clarence Muse and more) delivering great performances. Very captivating story, has you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Overall of course not among Hitchcock's best movies but still well worth checking out. Highly recommended!

8 months ago

The Private Life of Henry VIII (1933)

British historical drama film. It's about the marriages of King Henry VIII of England. Charles Laughton plays a great King Henry here and he won the Oscar for Best Actor for his portrayal, so apparently other people 90 years ago thought so, too. The rest of the cast is great as well. Merle Oberon, Elsa Lanchester, Robert Donat and many more. Overall this is a very good movie about an interesting historical person. Can recommend.

8 months ago

Centurion (2010) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020558/reference/
Led by Michael Fassbender, set in roman empire times, specifically Brittania, just before the construction of Hadrian's Wall, featuring the infamous Ninth Legion. Fights against the picts soon lead to a mad pursuit through cold, barren lands. That part is very reminiscent of the 2nd part of Apocalypto (tho this last one has a better and madder pursuit). A good adventure movie with somewhat flat but strong characters, beautiful scenery and the usual brutality of times of war, thankfully not downgraded, actually I think it's somewhat exaggerated.
Not a masterpiece, but a good thing to watch anytime. There's a spiritual successor with Channing Tatum as main character, searching for the Ninth Legion's pennant, slightly not as good as Centurion. Sorry I forgot the name of the movie.

8 months ago

Safety Last! (1923)

American romantic-comedy film. It's about a young man trying to impress his girlfriend by pretending to be a successful manager of a department store, but ending up having to climb a skyscraper as a publicity stunt. It's so much more than just Harold Lloyd hanging off a clock on the side of a building but of course that whole climbing thing is still the main focus of the movie, with it taking up about a third of its full runtime. So overall this is a great movie and I definitely understand why it was so popular when it was released. Highly recommended!

8 months ago*

Atlantis (1913)

Danish drama film. It's about a doctor who travels to America in search of a cure for his wife's mental illness, but faces a tragic shipwreck on the way. It's safe to say this caused a bit of a controversy, so soon after the Titanic disaster. The sinking of the ship and subsequent panic and death among the passengers is a big part of the movie, but not a major one. But the movie had nothing to do with the Titanic, it was in fact based on a Gerhart Hauptmann novel that was released a few months before the Titanic sunk. Fun fact: Because of the massive scale of this movie, two assistant director were hired. One of them was the young Hungarian director Mihály Kertész, who later changed his name to Michael Curtiz and became one of the most well-known Hollywood directors through such masterpieces as Casablanca (1942), White Christmas (1954), The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) and many more. Another fun fact: Hauptmann, the author of the source novel, met Carl Herman Unthan, a famous armless violinist of the time, on a cross-Atlantic voyage and was so impressed by him that he based a character in the novel on him. When the movie was made about a year later, the contract he made with the filmmakers stipulated that only Unthan himself could play the character that was based on him. So... overall this is actually very good for what it is. Might be a bit too long for most people's taste at almost 2 hours (especially considering it doesn't even have musical accompaniment) but I still think it's well worth checking out. Can recommend.

8 months ago

Life of an American Fireman (1903)

American drama short film. It's about the fire department rescuing some people from a burning building. I've been a volunteer firefighter before so it was really interesting seeing how they did it 120 years ago in action and not just on old drawings and stuff. So yeah, quite an interesting little short film but nothing to speak home about.

8 months ago

Rabbits (1893)

French documentary short film. It's about filming how rabbits move, specifically when they fall or when they come to a standstill. Directed by Étienne-Jules Marey, who was also behind the much more popular Falling Cat (1894), where he dropped a cat and filmed it to see how it is able to land on his feet. This one from a year earlier does the same thing (among other things) with rabbits. How he thought to do this with rabbits before cats I do not know. But yeah, this is very interesting to watch and the rabbits were dropped onto a mattress of course. Can recommend.

And with that this year's Decade Countdown Movie Challenge ends. There were a lot of great movies, some of whom I definitely didn't expect to be so great. But then again, I was also born in one of those years, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that the years ending in 3 produced some good stuff. :D Anyway, this was fun. Can't wait to find out which movies I'm gonna use for next year's.

8 months ago

Pretty cool idea. I have been meaning to do a full Academy Award best feature/foreign feature winner/nominee reverse watch but I think I will try a decade countdown challenge.

How did you pick the movies?

8 months ago

This was the sixth year I've done this and I usually just pick movies that I've heard a lot about but that I haven't watched yet. I've picked movies that I definitely should've watched before, but didn't. Like Superman (1978) and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968) in the 2018 one, Coraline (2009), The Tin Drum (1979), Easy Rider (1969) and North by Northwest (1959) in 2019, Gladiator (2000), Ragin Bull (1980) and Animal Crackers (1930) in 2020, Das Boot (1981), Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961), A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) and M (1931) in 2021, The Pianist (2002), Malcolm X (1992), Solaris (1972) and Casablanca (1942) in 2022 and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983) this time. Others I've picked because they were a bit daunting to just watch randomly but they still interested me, like Pi (1998), Man With a Movie Camera (1929), Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010), Malcolm X (1992) and Solaris (1972) and 8½ (1963), wether that's because they're a bit experimental or just very long. Like this I watch great movies that I might not have watched randomly otherwise and I also find new favourites I didn't know about before. The Boy With Green Hair (1948) for example is a fantastic movie about war orphans after WWII. Very much of its time but definitely one that makes you think. And one of Dean Stockwell's earliest performances. Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) introduced me to James Cagney who is now one of my favourite actors of all time (and the moral of the movie is also just great). Different From the Others (1919) (starring the great Conrad Veidt) is a beautiful melodrama about a gay couple in 1910s Germany. Le Cercle Rouge (1970) might be one of the coolest movies I've ever seen. You can't get much cooler than Alain Delon was in this gangster film. Hellzapoppin' (1941) is crazy and so out there it's still one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen, even though I probably didn't get every single little joke and reference from back then. Harakiri (1962) is now one of my favourite samurai movies ever and it's not even from Akira Kurosawa or has Toshiro Mifune in it. What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993) made me wonder what movies Leonardo DiCaprio would've been in if he would've already won an Oscar for this. I could go on and on but for your sake I won't.
TL;DR: Just movies I might not have watched otherwise. Or not this soon.

I'll write down all the ones I've seen in this challenge over the years. Not just for you, but also so I can access it easier if I need to know something.

2018 was
A Wrinkle in Time (2018)
Blindness (2008)
Pi (1998)
Earth Girls Are Easy (1988)
Superman (1978)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)
Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958)
The Boy With Green Hair (1948)
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938)
The Man Who Laughs (1928)
The Bell Boy (1918)
Fantasmagorie (1908)
The Magician (1898)
Accordion Player (1888)

2019 was
Velvet Buzzsaw (2019)
Coraline (2009)
Magnolia (1999)
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989)
The Tin Drum (1979)
Easy Rider (1969)
North by Northwest (1959)
White Heat (1949)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
Man With a Movie Camera (1929)
Different From the Others (1919)
Those Awful Hats (1909)
The Devil in a Convent (1899)
Monkeyshines, No. 1 (1889)

2020 was
Tenet (2020)
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010)
Gladiator (2000)
Wild at Heart (1990)
Raging Bull (1980)
Le Cercle Rouge (1970)
Peeping Tom (1960)
Harvey (1950)
Fantasia (1940)
Animal Crackers (1930)
The Penalty (1920)
A Christmas Carol (1910)
The One-Man Band (1900)
London's Trafalgar Square (1890)

2021 was
Nobody (2021)
The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
Suicide Club (2001)
Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)
Das Boot (1981)
Harold and Maude (1971)
Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Hellzapoppin' (1941)
M (1931)
Seven Years Bad Luck (1921)
Romance With a Double Bass (1911)
The Man With the Rubber Head (1901)
Je Vous Aime (1891)

2022 was
Crimes of the Future (2022)
Argo (2012)
The Pianist (2002)
Malcolm X (1992)
Diner (1982)
Solaris (1972)
Harakiri (1962)
Umberto D. (1952)
Casablanca (1942)
I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang (1932)
Nanook of the North (1922)
Falling Leaves (1912)
Burnley V Manchester United (1902)
Le Prince De Galles (1892)

and 2023 was
The Creator (2023)
Prisoners (2013)
Mystic River (2003)
What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983)
Mean Streets (1973)
8½ (1963)
Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (1953)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
The Private Life of Henry VIII (1933)
Safety Last! (1923)
Atlantis (1913)
Life of an American Fireman (1903)
Rabbits (1893)

And now I'm gonna start watching horror movies for the rest of the month.

8 months ago*

Cool system. I have quite a few movies that have been on my watchlist for years but keep getting pushed back down by other movies.

I could go on and on but for your sake I won't.

Hahaha I love long posts by passionate people ;) also I am picking up movies from your post, as always, because there are quite a few I've actually seen (yay!) and even loved like The Boy With Green Hair, M, Casablanca (one of my favorite ever!) and Le Cercle Rouge but also some that I haven't even heard about but sound really interesting like Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives and Different From the Others (it's crazy how advanced German cinema was, socially speaking, when compared to even pre-code Hollywood in the years between WWI and WWII)

And thanks for including your lists. Again quite a few to pick from and some to revisit even.

And now I'm gonna start watching horror movies for the rest of the month.

Heh Halloween tradition? I am not big on horror movies but I have a few standing appointments for Halloween like Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, Mama and El Orfanato.

8 months ago

Oh yeah, I love horror movies. And for me, October is for horror. Some old, some new, some serious, some funny, some english, some international, some obscure, some well known.

And it's always great to see that some people actually care about me writing about movies here. You really made my day. :D

Have fun with the movies you're gonna pick. Can't wait to read which ones you end up with. :)

8 months ago

And it's always great to see that some people actually care about me writing about movies here

I check the movie thread religiously to find out what you've been watching. Some I've seen, others are completely unknown but I know I'll get a few movies added to my watchlist every week. Never stop sharing please.

8 months ago

That means a lot, thanks.

Never stop sharing please.

Oh, I don't plan on stopping anytime soon, no worries. :D

8 months ago

+1

8 months ago

The Barbarians (1987)

It's a Cannon Films fantasy action movie staring The Barbarian Brothers who are seeking revenge against a warlord who captured them when they were kids and killed their mother. It is GLORIOUSLY cheesy, gloriously Cannon, and friggin' fun!

I'll let this scene speak for the movie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8xe02K3uZ0

8 months ago

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter.

It was awful, but I have seen way worse. At least it looked like they all had fun.

8 months ago

DAMN! I did NOT see someone talking about THIS one coming!

I LOVE bad movies and that was one of them.

Have you seen Blood Sucking Redneck Vampires yet? It makes Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter look like it had a budget and the actors actually cared. But still a TON of fun.

8 months ago

No, I have not seen that one, yet. Looks like it's on Tubi, unsurprisingly! I have added it to my watchlist, thank you.

8 months ago

No problem. After that you need to see Pro Wrestlers VS Zombies. That I saw on Prime Video.

I have a LOT of titles I can suggest in those veins.

8 months ago

There are MORE zombie wrestle-movies? I thought it would've been enough with 'Enter… Zombie King!'

8 months ago

Of course there are.

8 months ago

Rewatched The Gentlemen (2019) again and yup, still a great movie all around with incredible performances from the entire cast. Probably my favorite modern, if you can call it that, Guy Ritchie movie. The black comedy is also absolutely peak in the movie. A definite must watch from me.

Also, somehow with this rewatch, Hugh Grant's role as Fletcher, the sleazy/amoral investigator and narrator of most of the movie became my favorite in the film, taking the position away from Farell's Coach and Hunnam's Raymond.

8 months ago

Scarecrows (1988)

American horror film. It's about a group of mercenaries who hijacked a plane in California, who, after making an emergency landing in a cornfield, find themselves stalked by murderous scarecrows possessed by spirits. The first half hour or so might be a bit slow but as soon as that's done and the action starts it's just very exciting. And one of the mercenaries is called Curry, so as someone who goes by Curry on the internet, that's very funny. Overall it's a low-budget horror movie with a simple yet effective story that's a lot of fun (especially in the latter half) and is very entertaining. Don't expect a masterpiece or anything and you'll enjoy it, too. Can recommend.

8 months ago

The Awakening (2011), I normally don't like ghost stories, but this one got me sad and I enjoyed it.

8 months ago

Bloody Hell (2020)

Australian horror comedy film. It’s about a guy who, after being imprisoned and harassed by the media for stopping a bank heist, travels to Finland to start a new life, only to be kidnapped by a family of cannibals. It's surprisingly good, I definitely didn't expect this movie to be this entertaining. It had some very clever scenes, the acting was very good... overall definitely something I can recommend if you're looking for a good recent horror comedy.

8 months ago

The Relic (1997)

American sci-fi horror film. It's about a detective and an evolutionary biologist who try to stop a monstrous creature that is killing people in a museum. Very good cast (Tom Sizemore, Penelope Ann Miller, Linda Hunt, James Whitmore, David Proval and more) delivering good performances. This is a very dark movie, and I'm not just talking subject matter. There are a lot of times where you can't see much, especially if you're in a room with light shining into it. So if you plan on watching it, maybe make sure to make that room as dark as you can. But even then it's sometimes hard to decipher what's going on. But yeah, the creature design is cool, the story is pretty fun, too (with a few twists and turns you might not have expected) and overall this movie is entertaining. Can recommend.

8 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.