Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Werewolves Within (2021)

American mystery comedy horror film. It's about a newly arrived forest ranger and a friendly postal worker who are trying to survive a night in a snowed-in town where a mysterious creature is killing the residents one by one. It's a good whodunnit, but given that it's based on the 2016 video game Werewolves Within, which in turned is based on the social game Mafia (also known as Werewolf), I shouldn't be surprised. The movie's funny, the cast is good, so overall it's nothing special, but still entertaining and enjoyable. So I can recommend it.

8 months ago

Ballerina (2023) - Female Korean John Wick. I'm normally not into action movies that much, I prefer compelling storytelling. This one caught me offguard. The action scenes were eerily satisfying when looking at it through a lens of South Korea’s misogyny problem. The storytelling is very implied, less with words, more with what happens on the screen, though I can understand why that may not appeal to everyone. It's on the shorter side, less than 1.5 hours when you subtract end credits.

8 months ago*

Dead & Buried (1981)

American horror film. It's about a sheriff who tries to solve a series of murders and a small town where things do not, in fact, stay "dead and buried". Pretty sure that's why the movie is called that. Good cast (Jack Albertson (who most people might know as Grandpa Joe in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)), Robert Englund (who played a rather small part here but of course gained massive success a few years later when A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) came out) and many more). Stan Winston's special effects were great, too. Overall this isn't just another zombie movie (as I thought), it's actually more of a voodoo movie and in this case I think the distinction makes a difference. So overall I can say that this is better than I expected and I can actually recommend this.

8 months ago

Evil Dead (2013)

American supernatural horror film. It's about a group of five people under attack by deadites in a remote cabin in the woods. For years I've been hesitant to watch this, because I love the original trilogy so much. But now that we got a sequel to this one earlier this year and people said it was actually good, I finally had to watch this one.
Overall it might feel a bit generic compared to the original trilogy because instead of embracing what made its predecessors so great and memorable it just went full horror. We're still at the same cabin, we got a Necronomicon (albeit a different one) and we got deadites. So I'd call it a re-imagining rather than a remake. It's very gory and bloody (let's just say it destroyed the previous record for most fake blood used in a movie by about... 70 times as much) and it's definitely more violent than the original. In the long run I don't think it's gonna be as memorable as the original trilogy but it's a surprisingly good straight up horror movie with the same kind of mythology than the originals. As a big fan of the originals I was definitely sceptical of this one (and that's why I hadn't seen it yet) but I can safely say that it's good for what it is. Just don't expect something like the original trilogy. Overall definitely recommended if you're a big horror fan like me!

8 months ago*

Evil Dead Rise (2023)

American supernatural horror film. It’s about a mother who becomes a deadly threat to her sister and children when she is possessed by a sinister force that lurks in an old book of the dead, hidden under their apartment building. In the wider Evil Dead universe I might call the original movies and the series the main story and Evil Dead (2013) and this one spin-offs. They're still very good horror movies, but the spirit of the originals is missing. This one is not a direct sequel to Evil Dead (2013), btw. So yeah, overall this is still nothing like the original trilogy but it's just a good, gory new horror movie in its own right. And because of that I can recommend it.

8 months ago*

Been curious about this one because I'm a lifelong fan of the Evil Dead trilogy by Raimi.

8 months ago

The Sadness (2021)

Taiwanese body horror film. It's about a Taiwanese couple who attempt to reunite amidst a viral pandemic that turns people into homicidal maniacs. Safe to say, it's very violent. Definitely not for the faint of heart. But it's not really a zombie movie, even though you might've heard people describe it as such. Zombies are mindless creatures, the infected people here are still people. People who do terrible things to other people, but they still understand that what they're doing is vile and repugnant. The urge to do it is bigger, though. Great ending, too. So overall, if you're looking for something very violent and gory, I can definitely highly recommend this one!

8 months ago

A History of Violence (2005)
Pheww... Great movie, I went in blind with this one. An intense movie about a simple family guy and how he ends up in a messy situation. I dont think i should spoil it any further. I just look forward to checking out more older movies. There are definitely many more hidden gems such as this waiting for me!

8 months ago

I can recommend this one too, definitely a hidden gem with great cast and amazing story and characters. +1.

8 months ago

It is great. Eastern Promises could be worth to see as well, it is the same director and main. Imo it is even better. But much darker.

8 months ago

You were right, just saw Eastern Promises as well. It was a good movie, a little heavy but a well made movie.

8 months ago

Yeah, true :) Ty.

8 months ago

Cronenberg and Mortenson make magic together. Highly recommend Crimes of the Future (2022) as well.

8 months ago

I think Ive fast forwarded through this one cz it was a bit too disturbing for me to watch.🤐

8 months ago

I love "body horror" stuff which Cronenberg does so expertly but I can totally understand it's not everyone's cuppa tea ;).

8 months ago

Cure (1997)

Japanese psychological horror film. It’s about a detective who tries to catch a mysterious killer who can hypnotize people into committing murders. Great performances, captivating story, overall a very good movie. Can definitely recommend!

8 months ago

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Crap. Really, trash. If you compare it to the genius original graphic novel(s), it's even worse. In. Every. Possible. Way. It's the movie that made Sean Connery retire (almost completely) from cinema.

The characters are so flat, plot is unoriginal and predictable, twists are seen from miles away. High budget everywhere but the cast left forgettable performances. It's below mediocre at best.

However, there's an english expression I love, "guilty pleasure", and this is one. I absolutely love the design of Nemo's automobile and Nautilus, and while many of the action scenes are quite meh, some are good enough. Overall it always entertains me enough, despite all the lack of coherence of many things, and the mediocrity to awfulness that covers all the experience.

Moreover, my previous movie was the original 1933 King Kong, which at 90 years clocked it's still a BIG movie. So after it, almost anything would be smaller. In this case, the comparison would be beyond hateful.

But like with Elektra and other movies, it'll keep be going back to it, not exactly knowing why. But Alan Moore's fans, beware.

8 months ago

I last watched this when I was a kid and back then it was a lot of fun. But if I'd rewatch it now I'd probably see all the flaws.

8 months ago

This happens with a lot of movies from our childhood. Or our youth. And we think "this movie has aged badly". No, it's us who have changed. The Lost Boys was a great vampire movie before vampire movies were a fad; but today it bores me to death. Just one example there, but I bet everyone has a bunch of them.

There's also something I call the "effectist movies". Movies apparently designed (or maybe it's incidental) to give a great first impression, but in the end further rewatching reveal many flaws and what looked like a masterpiece is just "great, but with defects here and there". One example I often put about this kind of movies is Gladiator. I guess this one is more subjective anyway.

8 months ago

The design of Nemo's tech also was one of my favorite things in the whole movie ... also had troubles with each characters motivation and personality. The movies ending twist was ... kind of weak ... but ... yeah old movie ... nice Review!

8 months ago

Most recently Suspiria (2018), having watched the original (1977) the previous day. Both amazing and very different films, it seems wrong to call the most recent Suspiria a remake.

8 months ago

The Boogeyman (2023) Trailer
This film had extremely good feedback on early screenings and I have to say it didn't disappoint. If you're looking for a good horror flix this Halloween it's worth a watch. This is #3 on my 2023 horror flix so far.

Saw X (2023) Red Band Trailer
I really enjoyed this entry in the franchise. The way this part of the story was told wasn't as good as some of the other sequels, it still works though. The film had some of the coolest death scenes in the franchise. It's currently sitting at my #4 spot for 2023 horror flix.

8 months ago*

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)

American epic revisionist Western crime drama film. It's about a series of murders in the Osage Nation during the 1920s, committed after oil was discovered there. Watched this at the cinema yesterday but because it just came out I'm not gonna write that much about it. 3.5 hours is long but the movie is well paced so it never gets boring. I think it's a great movie with outstanding performances, especially by Lily Gladstone (really hope she gets some recognition for her performance) but I also agree with what several actual Osage have said about it. It's great that a big director like Scorsese wanted to tell this story and make it more well-known, but to really tell it you would've needed an Osage to make this movie. (I actually read that there was an Osage-directed movie called Tragedies of the Osage Hills (1926) about the Osage murders so I wanted to watch that before watching this one, but as it turns out, it didn't survive) So yeah, this movie could've been better but like this it was still really good and definitely well worth watching on the big screen. Highly recommended!

8 months ago*

Triangle (2009)

British-Australian psychological horror film. It’s about a woman who faces a series of strange and terrifying events on an abandoned ship. I'm not gonna say anything else, because this is one of those movies you should go into completely blind. Don't look up anything about it, just watch it. The movie has been described as "a mind-bending exercise in terror", among other things. It's definitely not as gory as some of the other movies I've watched recently, the horror is much more psychological (I guess that's why the genre of this movie is "psychological horror"). So overall it's very good for what it is. Can recommend!

8 months ago

NOPE

It was weird and sometimes boring. The monkey sections were interesting but totally disjointed with the whole movie and the third act was boring and repetitive.

I didn't like it

8 months ago

Baldur's Gate 3.

*I kid, I kid.

8 months ago

The Vagrant (1992)

American-French comedy horror film. It’s about a successful businessman who moves into a new house, only to find out that it is haunted by a homeless psychopath who wants to ruin his life and drive him insane. The movie starts off kinda silly but later on it gets pretty psychological, like does the vagrant maybe actually not exist after all? I won't answer this here, you'll just have to watch it for yourself. And I definitely recommend you do. This is a lot better than a quick google search might lead you to believe. The cast is also very good, btw. Bill Paxton, Michael Ironside, Marshall Bell and more. So again, I can definitely recommend this one!

8 months ago

The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)

American fantasy horror film. It’s about an anthropologist who travels to Haiti to investigate a drug that can turn people into zombies, and gets caught in a web of voodoo, politics and horror. Another "not really zombie" movie, here the main focus is voodoo, so it's more along the lines of White Zombie (1932) and I Walked with a Zombie (1943), movies made before "zombie" meant "rotten undead creature that craves human flesh/brains", like it does today. Good cast (Bill Pullman, Cathy Tyson, Zakes Mokae, Paul Winfield, Brent Jennings, Michael Gough, Conrad Roberts and more) delivering very good performances. Overall a very enjoyable movie about a fascinating topic and something I can definitely recommend.

8 months ago

The Dig (2021)
A nice slow paced movie about an excavation conducted right before the start of WW2. The discovery happens in the backyard of some rich Brit lady who hires a man (Lord Voldemort🙈) for the purpose of excavating. The movie covers how the digging started off by this ordinary man who gets sidelined as the bigwigs join in on the project. There are also the dynamics of human relationships and other happenings as the story goes on.
It was a nice watch, apparently it is loosely based on a true happening.

8 months ago

The Face of Another (1966)

Japanese science fiction horror drama film. It’s about a man who loses his face in an industrial accident and gets a new one from a doctor, but then struggles with his identity and relationships. I'm already a big fan of Tatsuya Nakadai because I love Harakiri (1962) and all those movies he made with Akira Kurosawa and this one just joined that bunch. Great acting from Nakadai and the rest of the cast. I've also watched (and enjoyed) several other movies from the Japanese New Wave (like Harakiri (1962), Onibaba (1964), Kwaidan (1964) and Branded to Kill (1967)) so I expected this to be as good as those others and I wasn't wrong. So yeah, it's absolutely a great movie and I can highly recommend it if you've seen any of those others.

8 months ago

They Look Like People (2015)

American psychological horror film. It's about a man who believes humanity is being secretly taken over by evil creatures. A nice, atmospheric slow-burner of a movie. And only 80 minutes long. I had this on my watchlist for a while but only got around to it now. Should've watched it sooner. It's very good for what it is. Can definitely recommend it.

8 months ago

Fargo (1996)
Slowburning, but very interesting, non-trivial detective/crime story with sprinkles of dark humor here and there.
It's amazing that Coens done this one just 'cause Jeff Bridges wasn't available to do his part in "The Big Lebowski" for a year or so.

Fargo (2014, 1st season)
Great! Even better than the original movie in many ways. More dark, more dynamic, more horific. After watching the last two episodes I was like "DAMN! Those guys should do something about werewolves ASAP!" 'cause it definitelly had that kind of dynamics (in the plot and in characters' dialogues) of the werewolf stories in the small town (you know, like King's "Silver Bullet"/"Cycle of the Werewolf").

Old Dads (2023)
Pretty fresh and funny, but also very heartful comedy made by modern standup legend Bill Burr.
Not a masterpiece, but pretty much sure there were no better full-fledged comedy (i.e. non-action packed one) movie for the last 4-5 years, and that tells more than enough..!
Righties should watch to feel better this days, lefties should watch to understand how their's actions look to other people))

8 months ago

Watched 2 beautifully Heartfelt movies:

The Unforgivable (2021)
Dont think ive seen a better Sandra Bullock movie. She plays a freshly released convict, who had killed a sheriff and done 20 years for it. The movie captures how unforgivable she is to the society and how it is an impossible task for her to connect in any manner to her little sister who was 5yrs old when she got arrested! Great watch.

Living (2022)
This one was about an old English man, who works as a revered but stern Public Works civil servant. Years of monotony and the death of his wife have turned him into a cutoff workaholic Zombie. He is hit with the news that he is terminally ill. This movie is about how he comes to terms with that. And how his final days leave a small but significant impact on those around him. Amazing watch!

8 months ago

The Surrogates

I kinda had some blurry memories of this one, and didn't remember why it wasn't in my collection, probably because it was a good premise badly executed. This rewatch told me I was right. Many people have an android surrogate to go out and do stuff for them, keeping them safe of harm, being tired and that stuff. An opposite faction wants humans to remain humans and not use surrogates. Then a crime happens, and two FBI agents (Radha Mitchell and Bruce Willis) investigate, getting deep to the knees in shit.

The interesting premise soon goes overboard and then falls flat, with weak plot twists and a very bland ending. There are some nice but misused and wasted secondary actors and actresses, but ofc it's a Willis vehicle. It looks like a good script was there at some point but the good parts were changed for sellable parts, and you see there are good things here and there but overall it's an unbalanced mess. There's an attempt to show how the new society emerging from using surrogates affects some people, but it doesn't go too far and gets old very quickly. Hollywood ending, credits roll.

Nothing like Gamer, btw. Not that Gamer is a great movie, but at least it's worth watching once.

Recommended if you're bored and want some fast-food scifi to go with your popcorn. Otherwise, if your time is valuable, stay away.

8 months ago

The Stuff (1985)

American satirical science fiction horror film. It's about a sweet and addictive alien substance becomes a popular dessert in the United States, but soon begins attacking people and turning them into zombies. Cool effects, good cast (Garrett Morris, Paul Sorvino, Abe Vigoda, Danny Aiello and more). Overall a very entertaining horror movie that's also a satire on the American lifestyle and consumer society. Can recommend!

8 months ago

Justice League: Warworld (2023)

Thew new animated movie in the Tomorrowverse DC universe.

Not bad. Starts off with three different stories that merge into the main.

Also leads into part one of Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths, which the original is STILL one of my all time FAVORITE DC storylines.

All in all, a good 7/10

8 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.