Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)

American supernatural romantic fantasy film. It’s about a young widow who moves to a seaside cottage haunted by the ghost of a sea captain, and they fall in love while writing his memoirs. Great cast (Gene Tierney, Rex Harrison, Natalie Wood, George Sanders and more) delivering very good performances. And with a director like Joseph L. Mankiewicz I'm not surprised at just how good this movie is. Overall I can definitely recommend this one!

10 months ago

The Last Witch Hunter (2015)

American fantasy action film. It's about an immortal witch hunter who must stop a plague from ravaging the entire world. Honestly, it's better than I expected. Very good cast (Vin Diesel, Elijah Wood, Rose Leslie, Michael Caine, Joseph Gilgun, Isaac de Bankolé and more). The story is interesting, the creature work is very good and the visuals are awesome, too. I've only heard bad things about this when it came out. Now I watched it and can say... don't listen to them. Is it a great movie? No. Is it entertaining and still worth a watch? Definitely. So yeah, I can recommend it if you're in the mood for something like it.

10 months ago

I put off watching this movie because of the terrible reviews and I ended up in a plane with my gf's tablet and nothing else to watch...
It was surprisingly fun. Flawed? Sure. What Vin Diesel movie isn't? But definitely fun and with cool world building. WIsh they had done more.
Sometimes it feels like critics are banding against a movie like it's cool to throw stones at it.

10 months ago

Critics nowadays are mostly overrated.
Nowadays its more and more the case if the critics give high ratings to a movie, its not a good movie.
If they give bad ratings its a good movie.

10 months ago

Heh it's true. Not that IMDB scores are helpful either so I tend to bump movies up my watchlist when I am curious about them or when I liked previous work by the writer and director.

10 months ago

One thing I have learned is that you cant trust the critics score on RT for any Disney related movie or show.
Since the CEO? of RT is a former Disney executive.
The general accepted narrative is that they changed the working of the rating system on the site during the Captain Marvel release years ago. Only to shield Disney.

Also wasn't it Warner that recently got caught buying fake reviews with bot farms?

In my opinion the best way to look at ratings of a movie or show, look at the audience score, remove the 1,2 (review bombers, 9 and 10 (review boosters)ratings and look what is the mood from what is left.

10 months ago

Boiling Point

2021 Brit movie about a fine dining restaurant tilting over the edge. Great cast (Stephen Graham is excellent as always) and, I'm sure, surprisingly tense for anyone who hasn't worked in a fine dining restaurant. As a pro who has been in my share of FD kitchens, let me tell you, it's rather mild compared to some of the places I've worked.
If you like The Bear, this should feel familiar, without all the family/personal drama.
There is also a tv show made after it which I recommend.

10 months ago

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

10 months ago

Roman J. Israel, Esq. (2017)

American legal drama film. It's about a civil rights advocate and defense lawyer who finds himself in a tumultuous series of events that lead to a personal crisis and the necessity for extreme action. Great character study, with a stunning performance by Denzel Washington. It captivates you completely for 2 hours. But then again, Denzel Washington is one of the finest actors of our time, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. Overall I can highly recommend this.

10 months ago

Citizen Kane (1941)

The cinematic gem directed by Orson Welles, is a masterful journey through the life of Charles Foster Kane, a media tycoon. Through captivating storytelling and innovative cinematography, the movie delves into Kane's complexity, showcasing his ambition, love, and eventual isolation.

It was the oldest movie I watched and it was a pleasant experience.

10 months ago

And to think that this was the debut movie of a 26 year old.

10 months ago

Lion (2016)

Australian biographical drama film. It's about the true story of a guy who, 25 years after being separated from his family in India, sets out to find them. Very good cast (Dev Patel, Nicole Kidman, David Wenham, Rooney Mara and more) delivering very good performances. It's a beautiful and touching real story and it's absolutely captivating. I can definitely recommend it!

10 months ago

Oppenheimer (2023)

This movie is about the creation of the atomic bomb by Oppenheimer and his team. It centers on the Manhattan Project and also the private hearing held before a Personnel Security Board concerning Oppenheimer's Q clearance. The movie was a lot better than what I was anticipating. Not only the cinematography is extraordinary, but the cast is amazing with known actors such as Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr, and Cillian Murphy.

This movie will definitely win some Oscars and I think Christopher Nolan has a true shot at winning his first Oscar.

10 months ago

Godzilla Minus One. Early access fan event in IMAX. Really good.

10 months ago

I've heard people say that it's the best one since the original. And that's high praise. So excited for it!

10 months ago

In a Lonely Place (1950)

American mystery drama film. It’s about a Hollywood screenwriter who falls in love with his neighbour while being suspected of murdering a hat-check girl. This film noir is definitely one of Humphrey Bogart's lesser known works, but despite not generally being counted among his many great movies I think it absolutely belongs there. Great performances, too. Not just by Bogie, but also by Gloria Grahame, who played the female lead role in this. Overall I can definitely recommend this one. Great movie!

10 months ago

The Revenant (2015)

Hugh Glass, a trapper, is attacked by a bear and seriously wounded. Abandoned by his partners, he is left for dead. But Glass refuses to die. Alone, armed with his will and driven by his love for his wife and their son, Glass sets out on a 300 km journey in a hostile environment, on the trail of the man who betrayed him.

10 months ago

The Holdovers (2023)

American comedy-drama film. It's about a history teacher at a New England boarding school who is forced to chaperone the handful of students with nowhere to go over Christmas break. It feels like a movie you'd watch over the holidays decades ago, it really feels cozy and nostalgic, not like a new movie. It's set in 1970 and if I didn't know some of the cast (Paul Giamatti and Da’Vine Joy Randolph specifically), you could fool me into thinking this is a 50 year old movie. I'm glad it's already out there winning awards, now that we're into awards season. It definitely deserves them. I can already tell that this is going to be a future classic. It's one of the best movies of the year and you should absolutely watch it. It's great!

10 months ago*

Red Eye (2005)

American psychological thriller film. It's about a hotel manager ensnared in an assassination plot by a terrorist while aboard a red-eye flight to Miami. Great performances, especially by Rachel McAdams and Cillian Murphy. The movie itself isn't really anything super great but it's a decent little early 2000s thriller that's very entertaining on top. Can recommend.

10 months ago

I watched In Cold Blood (1967) and then Capote (2005)

Good double feature in that order, didn't know much about Capote or his works. Both good movies :)

10 months ago

Leo (2023)

American animated musical comedy film. It's about a tuatara longing for the wild and worried about dying who is taken home by different students per the assignment of a strict substitute teacher. It's a sweet and funny movie that could definitely teach kids stuff about empathy, forgiving yourself, accepting yourself, wholesome stuff like that. So if you have young kids I can definitely recommend this.

10 months ago

last movie i watched was studio 666, with the foo fighters, it kinda disapointed me, menwhile it did entertain me. i would watch it agian to find small spoilers here and there.

10 months ago

Afflicted (2013)

Canadian found footage horror film. It's about two friends filming themselves traveling the world which is cut short when one of them contracts a mysterious disease. Good effects, nice scares, interesting story. I think it's good for what it is. Could be gorier for my taste, though. But overall I can recommend it.

10 months ago

Barbie (2023)

On the surface, a simple fantasy tale of the famous toy(s) being real and living in a parallel but connected world. What you can expect from all the stereotypes and glitter that surround the Barbie doll - multiply that for 100. That part is elegantly done, smart, fun, and seemingly innocent, too innocent at first. Troubles abound, girlpower saves the day. Everyone's happy!

On the layer below the surface lies something else. Something with a depth only comparable with the simplicity used to give again and again messages. These messages can have multiple interpretations, but I can tell you some of the things I saw. The eternal gender war, the almost-inherent sexism in the society, being a kid with dreams but heavily slapped in the face by reality when growing up, the blurred male role in the empowered women society, the lack of enough empowered women with actual power, alienation of teenagers, keeping those kid dreams when they've been shattered for decades, stability versus change dilemma, and more.

Just as Groundhog Day has a lot of important themes about personal inner growth and the relationships with the people around us, disguised as an easy comedy (with several grim moments), Barbie easily achieves the same with smart situation, keen and sharp dialogues, and reduction to the core of each concept/idea/discourse so it puts questions and matters as simple, until they explode inside your mind.

Ok, it might seem I've idealized the movie, and well, it's not as perfect in that aspect as Groundhog Day. But about the matters it touches, you'll not easily find a movie that covers so much about first world modern society; and that's its biggest failure, these matters are important in our society, but there are way more important matters in the world. If it added international conflicts, and 2nd and 3rd world problems due to wealth concentration in the 1st world, you'd basically have Emmanuel Goldstein's book with some more social psychology background.

Signed, Alan.

P.s.: sorry if my reviews are so long. I don't have time to make them more brief.
P.p.s.: yes I just paraphrased Blaise Pascal, and there's an orwellian reference in the last sentence of the review. I wish that book existed for real, written by Orwell himself, ofc.

10 months ago

The Call (2020)

South Korean psychological thriller film. It's about two women from different times who connect through a phone call that interchanges their fates. Very captivating story, kinda reminds me of The Butterfly Effect (2004) in some parts. Good acting, very entertaining movie overall. Can recommend!

10 months ago

Passing (2021)

American-British period drama film. It's about the intertwined life of a black woman and her white-passing childhood friend in 1920s New York City. The two main roles were played by Tessa Thompson and Ruth Negga, both delivering great performances. Overall it's a very good movie. Can recommend.

9 months ago

Dear Basketball (2017)

American animated short film. It's about a poem Kobe Bryant wrote announcing his retirement from basketball. I was never into basketball but of course everyone knew who Kobe Bryant was. Probably one of the greatest basketball players ever. This is Kobe's love letter and simultaneously goodbye to the sport. After his death it's even more poignant. Beautifully animated short, scored by the great John Williams. Overall I can definitely recommend it, wether you watch it on Kobe Bryant's birthday or the anniversary of his death to celebrate the legend he was, or you just watch it randomly, like I just did.

9 months ago

The Tenant (1976)

French psychological horror thriller film. It's about a new tenant rents an apartment where he becomes paranoid and obsessed with the fate of the previous tenant, who commited suicide. This is one of those "descent into madness" kind of movies. It's full of surreal and paranoid elements that blur the line between reality and fantasy. I don't wanna spoil anything, as with this type of movie, it's best to go in completely blind. But I can definitely recommend it!

9 months ago

Young Einstein (1988)

Australian comedy film. It's about Albert Einstein, a young Tasmanian apple farmer who comes up with E=mc² (or emc, according to his father) to split beer atoms (with a hammer and chisel) to create bubbles in beer, invents rock and roll and surfing. Safe to say, it's not really a direct biography. The lead role is played by an Australian comedian called Yahoo Serious, who also wrote, directed and produced this movie. It is very silly and of course it's all nonsense. But it embraces that. I mean it's not like the guy didn't know the movie was silly when he made it. It's very much not a great movie, but it doesn't want to be. For what it is, it's well worth the watch, though. So if you're looking for something very silly, very entertaining and very Australian, I can definitely recommend this.

9 months ago

The Killer (2023)

American action thriller film. It's about an assassin embarking on an international vendetta after a hit goes wrong. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still very good.

9 months ago

The Black Hole (2008)

American comedy short film. It's about a black hole printed out on a piece of paper and what one guy does with it. Very short, only a minute long. But very well made. Can definitely recommend.

9 months ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.