Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Tetris (2023)

American-British biographical thriller film. It's about the true events around the race to license and patent the video game Tetris from Russia in the late 1980s during the Cold War. Between the reality where Tetris (2023) is a movie about anthropomorphised Tetris blocks and the one where it's basically a real life political thriller (aka this one) I definitely prefer this one. Great performances, a very captivating story... I didn't expect this at all, but this is genuinely a really good movie. If you haven't seen it, you should absolutely change that! Highly recommended!

9 months ago

Leave the World Behind
My rate: 6.7/10
The thriller and the mystery is very well made, I was gnawing my nails. But the story and the ending could be better.

9 months ago

Six Shooter (2004)

Irish comedy drama short film. It's about a sad train journey where an older man, whose wife has died that morning, encounters a strange young guy. Very Irish, very much a black comedy with a surprisingly high death count. This actually won the Oscar for Best Live Action Short Film at the 78th Academy Awards. Very good performances by Brendan Gleeson, Domhnall Gleeson, Ruaidhri Conroy and more. Also the first film of Martin McDonagh who then went on to make great feature films like In Bruges (2008), Seven Psychopaths (2012), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) and most recently The Banshees of Inisherin (2022). Overall I can definitely recommend this one.

9 months ago

Strange Way of Life (2023)

Spanish Western drama short film. It's about two old friends and former lovers who face off in a bloody showdown over a past crime. I've heard a lot about this one, didn't know it was out yet. I'm glad I found it, though. It's very good. Only Almodóvar's second english-language film, but if you're familiar with his work you know it's all great, no matter if it's in English or in Spanish. Can definitely recommend!

9 months ago

Slither (1973)
I've watched a lot of '70 movies, but this one I had never even heard of. So I guess it a bit of a hidden gem maybe. Four miscreants go in search of a lost bag of loot from a heist many years ago, while being pursued by a nefarious bunch of mystery men. I know, sounds familiar. But it's a dark comedy, actually and if the utter buffoonery of attitudes, culture and absurdist situations that American life is fraught with engages you, you will be entertained. In short, an insane road trip movie featuring tongue in cheek humor, excellent writing and terrific acting. Jimmy Caan, Peter Boyle, Sally Kellerman, Louise Lasser.

9 months ago

Looks interesting. On my list it goes.

9 months ago

" Closely Watched Trains " 1966
great movie

9 months ago

Empire Records (1995)

American coming-of-age comedy-drama film. It's about a group of record store employees trying to stop the store from being sold to a large chain, and learning about each other along the way. Lots of good music all around and interesting characters played by lots of young actors who went on to have big careers. This movie was just a blast! Highly recommended!

9 months ago

El Conde (2023)

Chilean black comedy horror film. It's about Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet but as a 250-year-old vampire who's tired of living. It's not a laugh out loud comedy horror, the comedy comes more from the satirical and absurd nature of this movie. It's slow paced, shot in black and white and it's from Chile, not really a country well known for its cinema. So although this isn't my first Chilean movie, it's definitely not a country whose film culture I visit regularly. If you like your movies to be very original and a little bit more weird and arthouse, I can definitely recommend this one!

9 months ago

Song to Song (2017)

American experimental romantic drama film. It’s about two entangled couples who chase success and betrayal in the Austin music scene. Definitely not my favourite Malick, in fact I didn't really enjoy this one. Great cast (Michael Fassbender, Ryan Gosling, Rooney Mara, Natalie Portman, Cate Blanchett, Val Kilmer and a lot of cameos) who deliver very good performances, but the movie just didn't click with me. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. Happens. Anyway, I personally can't recommend this one but if this little review still piqued your interest check it out just for yourself.

9 months ago

Paradise (2023)

German dystopian science-fiction thriller film. It's about a man who tries to get back the 40 years of his wife’s life that were taken by a biotech company. Watched this one yesterday. Very cool concept, also very entertaining. Good performances, overall a very enjoyable movie. Can recommend.

9 months ago

Killers of the Flower Moon.
What can i say, this one is second best movie of the year behind Oppenheimer. Scorcese did terrific job, its his darkest and scariest movie. Seeing how Osage people getting exploited and killed with casual racism here and there really made me uneasy. Cast is great, De Niro playing his most evil since Angel Heart, DiCaprio played well very "banality of evil" type of person - greedy hick that failing to see that he doing bad things. But best of all is Gladstone, absolute soul of this movie.

Priscilla.
It also has two amazing lead performances. Elordi is great Elvis, mannerisms and voice really similar to original and his bursts of violence well acted. Spaeny is equally great, their scenes together work exceptionally well. I liked cinematography, Graceland mansion atmosphere really getting through screen. What film is lacking is plot, not much happens, you don't see what kind of person is Priscilla Presley and overall movie becomes boring fast. Maybe Sofia Coppola just not my director.

9 months ago

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/
It can be intresting title, if you get what they meant to.
A group of friends finds abandon ship, which should help them after stormy fight. Timeline and loop. As long as you like time travel you should see it. Not a masterpiece at all, but it is fine.

9 months ago

Ooh yeah, it's an interesting watch. I've seen it in late October. Don't think I've described it in that much detail, because those are major spoilers, but yeah. I can recommend it.

9 months ago

Arrietty (2010)

Japanese animated fantasy film. It's about a family of tiny people who live secretly in the walls and floors of a typical household, borrowing items from humans to survive. I've watched The Borrowers (1997) and The Borrowers (2011) but to my surprise Studio Ghibli also adapted the source novel, resulting in this movie. All three adaptations I've seen are kind of their own thing, but they're all very good. I can recommend them all. Maybe this one a bit more. Has been a while since I've seen the others, though. But if you know Studio Ghibli movies you'll know what you'll get yourselves into with this one. Can definitely recommend.

9 months ago

Wonka
I wasn't expecting that much of a musical but it did work. Hugh Grant as an Oompa Loompa just felt right. He's a great actor. And Timothée Chalamet did a great job at the character, even at one point, feeling like he channeled the spirit of Gene Wilder.

8/10

9 months ago

Ladyhawke (1985)

American medieval fantasy film. It’s about a thief who helps a cursed couple break the spell of an evil bishop. One of Matthew Broderick's first movies, released after WarGames (1983) but before Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986), but yet, he was great in it. And of course, so were Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer. If you're going into this movie thinking it's one of those fun 80s fantasy movies, then you're actually right, because it is exactly that. So now you know what this one's about and if you're ever in the mood for a movie like it but you've already seen all the more well-known 80s medieval fantasy movies, just watch this one. Definitely recommended!

9 months ago

Tschick/Goodbye Berlin (2016)

German comedy-drama film. It's about two teenage outsiders from Berlin who steal a car and go on an eccentric roadtrip through Eastern Germany during the summer holidays. It's not Fatih Akin's best work, but it's definitely very enjoyable and well worth the watch. So yeah, if you're in the mood for a very good teenage road movie/coming-of-age story which may just make you think back to your own teenage years, I can definitely recommend this one.

9 months ago

Training Day (2001)

American crime thriller film. It’s about a rookie cop who spends a day with a corrupt narcotics detective and faces moral dilemmas and life-threatening situations. Great performances by both Denzel Washington (who won an Oscar for Best Actor for this) and Ethan Hawke (who was nominated for Best Supporting Actor) and a great supporting cast featuring Eva Mendes, Snoop Dogg, Scott Glenn, Cliff Curtis and more in supporting roles. Can definitely recommend this one.

9 months ago

San Andreas (2015)

American disaster film. It's about a massive earthquake caused by the San Andreas Fault, devastating the West Coast of the United States. If you're in the mood for something along the lines of 2012 (2009) with a whole lot of destruction and acting that's more of a secondary priority, this does its job very well. It's a good popcorn movie but nothing more. Turn off your brain and watch 2 hours of skyscrapers toppling over. For that reason I can recommend it.

9 months ago

I love that movie,

9 months ago

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

French historical drama film. It's about the time that Joan of Arc was a captive of England, depicting her trial and execution. First of all, I watched the Criterion DVD version, which I feel like needs to be said, because the soundtrack Richard Einhorn wrote for it is absolutely incredible. For me maybe the best musical accompaniment to a silent movie I've ever heard. Here is a little snippet of the soundtrack, for anyone who's interested. And now to the movie itself. It is truly a masterpiece. The production, the cinematography, the acting performances, all outstanding. And again, that soundtrack elevates it even higher. This might just be the best religious movie of all time. And if you know me you know that I'm a stout atheist, but it really doesn't matter if you believe in anything or not, because this is about Joan of Arc. It's based on the actual record of her trial. Nothing someone made up hundreds of years later. During the trial there were three notaries present who independently wrote everything down. Those records were then compiled together each day of the trial. They were written in in Middle French but were translated into Latin about four years later. 5 copies were made, 3 still exist. And that's what this is based on. That's as close as you can get in my opinion. So yeah, with other historical movies you often get stuff that never happened but here you can be sure that that's how it happened, almost 600 years ago. Which in itself is actually crazy. Again, the movie is an absolute masterpiece and if you're only watching one older movie for the rest of the year, let it be this one. What an experience. Highly recommended!

9 months ago

Maestro (2023)

American biographical drama film. It's about American composer Leonard Bernstein and his wife Felicia Montealegre. It's a good movie and Bradley Cooper is acting his ass off. It really shows that he can be a big movie star for decades to come. I mean he's only 48. So yeah, he'll surely get a nomination for Best Actor for this but I don't think he'll take home the Oscar that night. The make-up department for this movie might, though. Carey Mulligan is great in this, too. Overall I can recommend this movie, but it's definitely not as good as it could've been.

9 months ago*

Godzilla Minus One

It's been way over 4 1/2 years since I was in cinema. And funnily enough, the last movie I've watched in theater was also a Godzilla movie, the 2019 King of the Monsters. I am so glad I didn't miss out on the theater experience for Minus One. It was an absolute masterpiece. I've watched almost all Godzilla movies in existence since my early childhood, and never has one made me cry for the human characters, until now. I was so invested in the characters, and feared for their lives every time Godzilla was attacking. The human story in it is so engaging, and it was a 2 hour emotional rollercoaster. I was an absolute wreck at the end. Best movie all year, and maybe the best Godzilla movie I've seen.

10/10

9 months ago

Sörensen fängt Feuer (2023)

German comedy crime film. It's about a police inspector with a social anxiety disorder who runs into a young blind woman who says she's never been outside and while he has to find out who she is he stumbles across a murder and a christian cult. Watched this one yesterday. A sequel to Sörensen hat Angst (2020), this is again very good. Funny, well made, good performances... if you liked the first one you'll like this one just as much. Recommended!

9 months ago

Black Christmas (1974)

Canadian slasher film. It's about a group of sorority sisters who receive threatening phone calls and are eventually stalked and murdered by a deranged killer during the Christmas season. And it's surprisingly good for what it is, a low budget 70s horror movie. It was also a big influence on Halloween (1978). Good cast (Olivia Hussey, Keir Dullea, Margot Kidder, John Saxon and more) delivering very authentic performances. This was genuinely creepy, which I didn't expect. Definitely recommended!

9 months ago

I prefer it to Halloween and many other more famous slashers. It's more dark and tense and creepy than some of it's more famous peers. The ending is one for the ages.

9 months ago

Definitely! And that's the movie that started the whole "the call is coming from inside the house" thing? Very cool.

9 months ago

Violent Night

Pretty nice homage to Die Hard and Kevin alone at home.

9 months ago

It's so much fun! Watched it last year and I was positively suprised at how good it was.

9 months ago

Yeah, same here. I didn't expect it to pay tribute to the classics. And then they did it so much and so well. The movie isn't without flaws but certainly good entertainment.

Maybe not something to rewatch every year, like Die Hard. But besides Noelle, Klaus and The Christmas Chronicles it's been one of the best Christmas movies in the past 6-7 years.

9 months ago

For sure!

9 months ago

Godzilla Minus One

Just got home from this and all I can say is... Wow. That was EASILY one of the best since the original.

Not really a spoiler but I LOVE the fact they brought back the original Godzilla theme.

9/10

9 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.