Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Zoolander 2: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1608290/ . I was genuinely surprised with how fun it was, especially considering the pretty negative reviews. The humor, while hilariously dumb, feels like shitposts you'd see nowadays, so i found it somewhat ahead of it's time

8 months ago

Carry On Loving (1970)

British comedy film. It’s about a pair of matchmakers who run a shady dating agency and the hilarious mishaps that ensue when their clients try to find love. Surprisingly, this wasn't as raunchy as some of the others but it had lots of silly sexual innuendos like the "Much-Snogging-On-The-Green" railway station. Overall this is a funny comedy so I can recommend it.

8 months ago*

Carry On Henry (1971)

British historical comedy film. It’s about the humorous adventures of Henry VIII and his wives in 16th century England. Great to see both Kenneth Williams and Kenneth Connor together in a movie again. Overall this was a good historical comedy so I can recommend it.

8 months ago*

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

New Zealand-American epic fantasy adventure film. Rewatched this yesterday at the cinema. Also still amazing.

8 months ago

Raiders of the Lost Ark(1981)

Considering its an old movie and a famous one at that, I'm still not sure if a description is necessary, but the movie happens in 1936 it's about an archeology professor, Indiana Jones who ventures in jungles of South America looking for a golden statue however soon his search would send him to other places while at the same time fighting a rather big group of nazis who want the statue.

8 months ago

Carry On at Your Convenience (1971)

British comedy film. It’s about the conflicts and romances at a factory that makes bathroom products. They say this was the first box office failure of the series because of the politics of the trade union movement and portraying the union activists as a bit lazy and pedantic. The series of course had a big working class audience, so I can definitely see why the people back then might not have enjoyed this one quite as much. But I think overall this is a good comedy so I can recommend it.

8 months ago*

Carry On Matron (1972)

British comedy film. It's about a gang of thieves who try to steal contraceptive pills from a maternity hospital, but face various obstacles and mishaps along the way. This one (and the next one according to Wikipedia) actually feature the highest number of the Carry On regulars. Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey, Joan Sims, Hattie Jacques, Bernard Bresslaw, Barbara Windsor and Kenneth Connor are all in this, so it's only Jim Dale and Peter Butterworth who are missing. But this was also the last of seven Carry On appearances for Terry Scott (8 if you count the deleted scenes in Carry on at Your Convenience (1971)) and it's a shame to see him go. But overall this was a good comedy so I can recommend it.

(Finished this earlier but I had to watch the Oscar nominations being announced first, after I'm done with the Carry On stuff I'll definitely have to go into Oscars stuff immediately.)

8 months ago*

Ninety-Five Senses (2023)

American animated drama short film. Lovely hand-drawn animation, great voice acting by Tim Blake Nelson. Yes, looks like I already started watching the Oscar noms. This is one of those nominated shorts that always get pretty much purged from the internet as soon as the nominations are announced, so before I can't find it anymore, I decided just to watch it now. It's obviously the first of the Animated Short Films nominated for an Oscar this year so I can't say how good it is compared to the others but I thought this was really good. I can definitely recommend it. (If you really wanna watch it, go to https://smallscreenings.org/mast/ninety-five-senses/film before it's being removed from there.)

8 months ago

Carry On Abroad (1972)

British comedy film. It’s about a group of British tourists who have a disastrous holiday at a half-finished hotel in the fictional Mediterranean island of Elsbels. And with this one Charles Hawtrey left the franchise. It was the last of his 23 Carry On movies, which means he was in almost every single one of them up to that point. And I definitely enjoyed his characters. I'll really have to check out some of his other work, considering he was acting on film as early as 1922. It's sad to know that he won't be in the rest of the movies. And like I said on the last one, this also has the highest number of Carry On regulars in it. So yeah, overall it was a good comedy so I can recommend it.

8 months ago*

The Boy and the Heron (2023)

Japanese animated fantasy film. Watched this yesterday at the cinema. It's about a boy during the Pacific War who discovers an abandoned tower in his new town after his mother's death and enters a fantastical world with a talking grey heron. I've only really gotten into Studio Ghibli movies last year so this was my first chance at watching one on the big screen. And despite it fitting really nicely into my Oscars watch thingy (considering it was nominated for Best Animated Feature) I actually already bought my ticket long before the nominations where announced, simply because I wanted to watch a new Studio Ghibli movie at the cinema (and who knows how often that chance will arise). Now about the movie itself. In typical Studio Ghibli fashion it's full of wonder, stunning magical worlds and of course an interesting moral lesson about loss and moving forward despite that. I don't think this will be my favourite of the lot but it's definitely really good. So yeah, I can definitely highly recommend this!

Not sure about its chances at winning the Oscar it's nominated for, because I still have two movies to watch from that category (Nimona (2023) and Robot Dreams (2023)) but so far I wouldn't be surprised if it won.

8 months ago

Carry On Girls (1973)

British comedy film. It's about a beauty contest in a small town and the various mishaps and misunderstandings that ensue. Another very raunchy entry into the series, with nudity and lots of sexual jokes. Overall this is a good comedy so I can recommend it.

8 months ago*

Carry On Dick (1974)

British comedy film. It’s about notorious highwayman Dick Turpin who disguises himself as a reverend and tries to evade capture by the Bow Street Runners, a professional police force. This one really marked the end of an era for the series. The last appearances by regulars Sid James (who's been in 19 Carry on movies up to this point), Hattie Jacques (14 appearances) and Barbara Windsor (9 appearances). Hattie Jacques especially was in these movies from the very beginning and her matron character was very beloved. Sid James joined the series just a few movies later and received top billing in 17 of his 19 appearances. He was very much the lead in these movies for almost 15 years. Barbara Windsor brought a lot of charm, humour, and sex appeal to the series. It's sad to see these three go, but there are only a few more movies left anyway. But yeah, this was a good comedy, so I can recommend it.

8 months ago*

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

New Zealand-American epic fantasy adventure film. Rewatched this yesterday at the cinema. Still absolutely amazing. And that's it. Rewatching the LotR trilogy on the big screen = done. You can say what you want, watching these movies on a massive cinema screen with a great sound system is just a different viewing experience than watching them at home. I'm glad I had the chance, after being a bit too young for that when they were originally released. Whenever they're showing them at the cinema near you as well, you should really go and watch them. Wether it's your first time or your hundredth. Great experience, highly recommended!

8 months ago

Carry On Behind (1975)

British comedy film. It's about two archaeologists who are digging up a Roman site near a caravan park where people are also on holiday and hilarious adventures and mishaps ensue. Another last for the series with Bernard Bresslaw in his final (of 14) appearances. He was quite fun in these movies as well. Overall I think this was a good comedy so I can recommend it.

8 months ago*

Prisoners (2013)

American thriller film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still great.

8 months ago

Carry On England (1976)

British comedy film. It's about a mixed sex British air defence base in WWII and their various romantic escapades and mishaps while trying to get rid of their new Captain in charge. It doesn't have a lot of the old series regulars in it, but a lot of new faces. Overall this is a good comedy so I can recommend it.

8 months ago

Inception [2010]. I am very picky when it comes to movies. Most of the movies have a generic story template with different actor and actress.
But this one is one of the best movies I will cherish as long as my memory is sound.

8 months ago

Then if you haven't done so, watch Interstellar. In the biggest screen you can find.

8 months ago

Not interested in interstellar at all. Way too many false info in it. Just clips were more than enough for me to put it in my not going to watch list.

8 months ago

Any Given Sunday (1999)

Mix a brutal sport such as american football, with the pretty obvious overcoming story, a mad Oliver Stone directing and editing, an ensemble cast very worth watching, and you have something you can watch Any Given Day. In fact I think that is true. You can rewatch this movie as many times as you want, regardless of your mood or genre craving, this movie can be watched.

As a sports drama it's just a modernized version of the usual underdog that becomes a star, falls and rises. But then there's much more. It's a choral movie with many important characters and plots surrounding the central idea. Showing that the brutality is not only in the field, but all around it, specially regarding money, money and more money. Motivational speeches twisted to justify this or that so someone can earn more money. Greed over greed. And then, of course, the sport. Absolutely great moments there. Thanks to that mad editing, with Mr. Stone making a quite powerful cameo.

Pretty much everyone on the camera is giving their best. I'm going to make only one special mention: Ann-Margret. A solid anchor that reminds us how long all this thing has been going on and the price some people paid for it.

Drama, sports, spectacle, Any Given Sunday you can find it.

8 months ago*

That's Carry On! (1977)

British comedy film. It's about Kenneth Connor and Barbara Windsor being stuck in a Pinewood Studios projection room where they start watching clips from all the Carry On movies up to that point (apart from Carry On England (1976) because that was just released when this was made or something). So this is basically just a big compilation of stuff I've already seen earlier this month. And accordingly it isn't very good. There are some funny quips inbetween the clips but overall I'm kinda conflicted about this one. I wouldn't really recommend it, especially if you haven't seen any of the other Carry On movies but it is kinda nice to reminisce on the movies up to that point, now that I only have two more to go after this. So overall I do think it's good for that and I can recommend it, but only if you've seen and enjoyed all the other Carry On movies up to this point.

8 months ago

Carry On Emmannuelle (1978)

British comedy film. It's about the sexual adventures of an ambassador's wife, who's engaging in a series of affairs with high-profile individuals, because her husband can't satisfy her needs. Well, this didn't really feel like a Carry On movie. Sure, Kenneth Williams, Joan Sims, Kenneth Connor, Jack Douglas and Peter Butterworth were all in this (and some other minor characters played by actors we've already seen in the series) but the main focus was on Suzanne Danielle. So yeah, this kinda felt like a totally different movie that just happened to have some Carry On actors in it. And, sadly, apart from Jack Douglas all in their very last appearance. Kenneth Williams in his last of 26 appearances, Joan Sims in her last of 24, Kenneth Connor in his last of 17 and Peter Butterworth in his last of 16. And because the next, final Carry On movie was 14 years in the future this also marked the end of an era I think. The last proper Carry On. I'll be writing a bit more about the whole franchise tomorrow, after I've watched the final one. But this one is not a good comedy and I can't really recommend it.

8 months ago

Carry On Columbus (1992)

British comedy film. It's about the story of Christopher Columbus. While Carry On Emmannuelle (1978) was a different movie with some Carry On regulars in it, this was a different movie without any Carry On regulars in it, mostly due to the fact that most of the regulars have died in the meantime. Sid James passed away in 1976, Peter Butterworth in 1979, Hattie Jacques in 1980, Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey in 1988, Kenneth Connor and Bernard Bresslaw would pass away in 1993 and the rest of the regulars (Joan Sims, who would pass away in 2001 and Barbara Windsor who'd pass in 2020) probably didn't want to join this movie anyway. The only (more or less) regulars who were in this were Jim Dale (11 appearances), who happens to be the last surviving regular Carry On castmember as of right now when I'm writing this, Peter Gilmore (11 appearances) and Jack Douglas (8 appearances). On the other hand, there are a handful of actors who were only in some Carry On movies in this one, namely Bernard Cribbins, Leslie Phillips, Jon Pertwee and June Whitfield. But there were also some younger actors in this, like Rik Mayall. So I definitely wouldn't call this a Carry On movie and I definitely can't recommend it.

These are comedies about (and for) mostly working-class people, at least when they're not parodying historical events and people, like Carry On Cleo (1964), Carry On Henry (1971) and Carry On Dick (1974) did, for example. They might not be the funniest, laugh-out-loud, comedies you've ever seen, but if you're looking for some down to earth, very British comedies with good character actors you come to love as you watch the series this is definitely for you. I can overall recommend the Carry On movies. Might even call myself a bit of a fan after watching all of them, so much so that I wish they made more, back in their heyday. You can't make them like that anymore nowadays but there are definitely themes I wish they touched on with another movie in the 60s or 70s. Maybe one about a lousy football team, fighting against relegation, called Carry On Scoring. Or something about the space race (was probably way out of their budget because the 60s and 70s where the perfect time for something like that), which they could've called Carry On To the Moon or something like that.

So yeah... these have been the Carry On movies. I'm glad I've spent a month watching them. If you randomly come across one on TV, why not just check it out?

8 months ago

Saw Godzilla Minus One last night. I had high expectations of the film because of the friends that DID see it, and it still blew me away. Excellent choice for 'first kaiju movie I saw in theatres'. Sound design in particular is what stood out to me.

8 months ago

Patch (2014)

German experimental animated short film. It's about characters in movement, but they're animated using stop motion animation with little black, grey or white painted square tiles. Yesterday I was watching a movie again at that little old arthouse cinema again where they always show a short before the main movie. This was the one they showed yesterday and it's actually quite fascinating. And it's even on YouTube if you want to check it out for yourself. Overall I can definitely recommend this one.

8 months ago

Poor Things (2023)

Irish-British-American black comedy film. It's about a young woman brought back to life by an unorthodox, yet brilliant scientist. Watched this at the cinema yesterday. It is definitely quite something. Unequivocally weird and very bizarre, but also unequivocally a Yorgos Lanthimos movie. I'm not gonna write anything about the story, apart from that short one sentence summary at the beginning of this review, but just know you're in for a very unconventional plot. Now, it's been nominated for 11 Oscars, so I'll just go over each for a bit.

Best Picture: I don't think it'll win, but it's definitely earned the nomination.
Best Director: As I already said, this is very much a Yorgos Lanthimos movie, so it deserves the nomination here as well.
Best Actress: It would've been a massive snub if Emma Stone wasn't nominated for this. She could even win, but I haven't watched all the nominees yet.
Best Supporting Actor: The nomination for Mark Ruffalo here is definitely deserved, considering he really shows with this performance that he still got it, even after being stuck as Hulk for so long.
Best Adapted Screenplay: This is one I can actually see them win. But I haven't watched two of the nominees in this category yet.
Best Original Score: The score is very unconventional, unlike anything you ever heard in such a big movie before. I think the chances for a win in this category ara good.
Best Production Design: Another Oscar that I can see them winning.
Best Cinematography: This is always a big one and all the nominees in this category have brilliant cinematography. I couldn't predict anything in here and would probably give them all an Oscar.
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Still have a few nominees here to go but from what I've seen so far they all deserved their nomination.
Best Costume Design: This is also a big one that I can see go to every nominee so Poor Things could actually win this one, too.
Best Film Editing: The editing in this was brilliant but the other nominees don't lack brilliant editing either. Maybe this one takes this category, maybe not.

So yeah, I can definitely recommend the movie because it is truly one of the best, weirdest, most unconventional movies of 2023 and if you're in the mood for something like that, you should check it out, preferably on the big screen.

8 months ago

Nimona (2023)

American animated science fantasy adventure comedy drama film. It's about a shapeshifting girl who joins forces with a disgraced knight to expose the corruption of a powerful institution. Beautiful animation, stunning visuals, looks like 3D made to look 2D or 2D made to look 3D, definitely a mix of 2D and 3D animation. I heard that this movie almost wasn't finished after Blue Sky Studios was bought and shut down by Disney, but I'm glad Annapurna Pictures picked it up and Netflix distributed it. It's a very good movie. And now it has been nominated for an Oscar! What a story.

I'm not sure about its chances to win that Oscar, though. I still have one more movie to go in that category (Robot Dreams (2023)) but so far I got The Boy and the Heron (2023) as my top pick. Elemental (2023) is not bad, but it's obviously the obligatory Disney nomination. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023) also has a good chance at taking it, but I think it's time for Miyazaki's second Oscar. And this one is very good, as I already said (and I can definitely recommend it) but it's not quite on the same level as Spider-Man and TBatH.

8 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.